Lezyne Sport Drive HV Mini Pump (Non ABS Flex Hose)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Lezyne Sport Drive HV Mini Pump (Non ABS Flex Hose)

2015-04-23-005.jpg

Please bear in mind that this product was used with Schrader valves. I did not test it with Presta!
Nor does it come with the Air Bleed System (ABS) hose. Although I understand that the ABS system is only really useful for Presta valves.

The pump was smaller than expected, so I was a little apprehensive that it may not perform particularly well.
It's only 19cm's end to end, so you can imagine how tiny this pump really is.

First impressions of build quality, are that it is solidly built and feels sturdy and chunky in the hand.
What it lacks in length, it makes up in girth.

Ok, you can stop sniggering now :D

The flexible hose fits neatly into the handle of the main unit, and actually screws in, so no chance of it working it's way out and getting lost on the bumpy trails.

2015-04-23-006.jpg

As you can see, it's clearly marked as to which end to use, minimizing frustration of trying to attach the wrong end.

The hose is screwed to the pump first, then the other end is screwed onto the valve.
The collar is solid, so you have to rotate the whole pump to screw the valve end on. Not a problem, as the pump is so short, but would have been handy to have a rotating collar for ease of use.
Lezyne may have manufactured it this way for robustness.

I stupidly tried just attaching the hose to the valve first, but the air started pissing out, so take note, pump first, then valve ;)

Performance

This pump has a very short stroke, as you would expect from the size, but it is labelled as High Volume (HV), so actually performed very well with my MTB tyres.
It took around 40 full strokes to put about 10 psi of pressure into the tyre, and although it was hard work, it wasn't an unpleasant experience.

It is superb for taking out on the road. The supplied bike frame securing bracket attaches to the bottle holder fixings, and holds it firmly in place with two plastic clips and a Velcro strip.
You could also just pop it into a back pack or accessories bag for convenience.

Pros
  • Compact, sturdy and handy. Feels built to last
  • Flexy hose stored securely in main body of pump
  • Hose is clearly marked Presta/Schrader
  • Easily attached to bike or stored in bag
  • When used properly, doesn't leak air like a car foot pump can
  • Cheap, £13.49 from Chain Reaction Cycles

Cons

• Can be hard work, so not suitable for arthritis sufferers
  • Time consuming, so for home use, a longer stroke pump is recommended
  • Although a high volume pump, not ideal for regular use
  • Bike frame securing bracket uses bottle holder mount, which may already have a drinks bottle or battery attached

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a couple of these pumps for my mobile inflation needs.

Good value, and I like the hose because it saves you gripping a grubby valve and tyre while out on the road, which you have to do with a clip on.

Installing a clip on can be a fiddle with a deflated tube because the valve tends to disappear into the rim.

Clip ons can also 'work' the valve a bit in use - not good for the ham fisted.

One of my pumps has the ABS pressure release valve on the hose.

Can't see the point of it, the idea of a pump is to put air in, not let it out.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
One of my pumps has the ABS pressure release valve on the hose.

Can't see the point of it, the idea of a pump is to put air in, not let it out.
I think the ABS system is there for easy removal of the hose from a Presta valve, and not just to let air back out of the inner tube:

Skip to around 135 seconds for details