Calling all Wooshers and kalkhoffers! and anyone else...

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
That's good information, thanks. I certainly wanted comparisons from those who had ridden both. I think the throttle on the BigBear is on the right which will suit me better being what I was used to with the Alien. It doesn't actually make any mention on the web page about off road use (light only) do you think it is robust enough
Pete

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
as a guesstimate, I'd say the Krieger is good for commuting up to about 4000 miles a year, the Big Bear about 3000 miles a year. The Big Bear has the motor on front suspension fork, a little more tiring on your wrists for long distance commuting.
The biggest maintenance bill is likely for the brake pads, about £2-£4 per 1000 miles.
Extra expenses for long distance commuting: upgrade front light to Cree light, change front mechanical brakes for hydraulic, upgrade pedals, upgrade tyres to MP+.

Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Thanks for the information Tony, I am not familiar with the Sunbear but will have a look. (is it just a step through Bigbear?) If so, I guess I might want to ask a question or two if you don't mind. Seems like you got some information re your saddle problem as a bonus. If it is any help It was the same for me when I got the Alien, and I was in agony for the first few rides and I though this is never going to work. After a couple of weeks it started to feel better and then improved quite rapidly. I was then bought a brookes saddle and I had to do it all over again, but I perservered and the same thing happened, only quicker.
Pete
Pete-
Thanks for your experience re-saddles. The Sunbear is the same as a Bigbear but as a step-through configuration. It has the same 500w hub motor and 15ah battery. The throttle is on the left. To be honest I rarely use it though, I mainly use the pedelec assist on level 1 except in a strong headwind or on a hill when I push it up to 2-never needed anything more, I really don't know why there's 5 levels of assist.
Tony

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
have you looked at the Suntour NCX seat post?
Wow Trex-
That is some contraption! What the hell is it? Excuse my ignorance, but is it some sort of sprung-loaded torture device? Going now to google it and find out what it does!
Tony.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Thanks for the suggestion John, I have been looking at their websites, but neither do a wide saddle. The widest they have is just over 215mm. and trumpet them as extra wide!
I have a damaged coccyx from a soccer injury and need a saddle at least 250 mm wide. I suppose I'll just have to keep looking at car boot sales for antique ones.
Tony
Have you tried any of these Tony? I think this one is the most likely to be well made of those. I have issues with the nerves down there and also require something a bit different, I got this one , (which has a gap down the middle) which is is on a flat keel for upright Dutch-style cyclists, but if you bend forward a bit in your cycling posture then you need the 'moderate' or another version. It's only 220mm but it might be one to try. They do put a bit of pressure on the buttocks because weight isn't totally spread out like on a normal big bum bike seat, but on the bright side they relieve all pressure down the centre. The ladies versons are sometimes wider than the mens'. Aldi were selling a copycat version during their bike week recently for £8, it's on the net too.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Have you tried any of these Tony? I think this one is the most likely to be well made of those. I have issues with the nerves down there and also require a wide seat, I got this one , (which has a gap down the middle) which is is on a flat keel for upright Dutch-style cyclists, but if you bend forward a bit in your cycling posture then you need the 'moderate' or another version. It's only 220mm but it might be one to try. They do put a bit of pressure on the buttocks because weight isn't totally spread out like on a normal big bum bike seat, but on the bright side they relieve all pressure down the centre. The ladies versons are sometimes wider than the mens'.
Jonathan,
Thanks for the suggestion, but you didn't put in a link or name!! Can you send me a link to these saddles please?
Cheers, Tony.
Cancel this- There is a link but I didn't see it without my glasses-silly old codger.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Jonathan,
Thanks for the suggestion, but you didn't put in a link or name!! Can you send me a link to these saddles please?
Cheers, Tony.
No probs, where the text is purple or blue and underlined in my post, those are links I've inserted. Let me know if you want me to find the name of the cheapo copycat version, as an original costs up to £50 (although if you shop around sometimes it's only £30.)

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Oh by the way - I say 'you need the Moderate if you lean forward' but in all honesty I don't know, I've never used one, I just know I've put Dutch handlebars on my bike and the Relaxed seems to fit that idea, so please don't take my word for it about the other style. Might be one to try in a bike shop or so, if they've got it (the Selle Royal website is very interesting too).

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Bit puzzled by your grey Woosh bikes as on their site they are mainly a steel blue and a couple of black ones?
By grey I meant steel blue which, in general, are the newer range woosh bikes.

Having read the rest of the thread and in particular your remarks about budget, I think you are wise to have a good look at a Big Bear.

One or two seem to suffer from niggly faults, often electrical.

Woosh are known to be helpful, but it would be handy if you have a little bike knowledge so you can do some fettling under their guidance, rather than send the bike back.

A hydraulic front disc brake is an almost essential upgrade.

Fairly easy to do, not least because there's a disc rotor on there already so a hydraulic will fit one way or another.

When choosing a brake you only need to remember one word - Shimano.

They are streets ahead of other budget brakes.

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
as a guesstimate, I'd say the Krieger is good for commuting up to about 4000 miles a year, the Big Bear about 3000 miles a year. The Big Bear has the motor on front suspension fork, a little more tiring on your wrists for long distance commuting.
The biggest maintenance bill is likely for the brake pads, about £2-£4 per 1000 miles.
Extra expenses for long distance commuting: upgrade front light to Cree light, change front mechanical brakes for hydraulic, upgrade pedals, upgrade tyres to MP+.

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks Trex, but fortunately I am of an age where I haven't had to commute for a little while!

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
By grey I meant steel blue which, in general, are the newer range woosh bikes.

Having read the rest of the thread and in particular your remarks about budget, I think you are wise to have a good look at a Big Bear.

One or two seem to suffer from niggly faults, often electrical.

Woosh are known to be helpful, but it would be handy if you have a little bike knowledge so you can do some fettling under their guidance, rather than send the bike back.

A hydraulic front disc brake is an almost essential upgrade.

Fairly easy to do, not least because there's a disc rotor on there already so a hydraulic will fit one way or another.

When choosing a brake you only need to remember one word - Shimano.

They are streets ahead of other budget brakes.

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for the extra information Rob, especially the advice about the brakes as I wouldn't have known that was necessary. I am quite handy with mechanicals so I could work under their advice, as it would otherwise have to be a return because I live in Scotland and it is a bit of a trip to their place! Electrics are another matter mind, I can do what I am told but I have something of a mental block when it comes to actually understanding them!
Pete