Nihola cargo trike, Bafang or Sunstar?

gpg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2015
Hi there

We have bought a 2nd hand Nihola cargo trike (http://www.nihola.com/products/family.html) and I want to fit a mid drive kit to it. It will be my wife who uses it to pick up the kid from daycare, groceries etc. Daily it will run 12ish km with a 3% 1km hill. So she needs some help from the motor.

Seeing 250W is the only thing allowed on the roads here, I am looking at the Bafang BBS01 250W kit, but reading this guy's hands on installation of it on a Nihola: http://www.cairns-electric-bikes.com.au/bafang-250-watt-electric-bike-conversion-kit/ + the Bafang thread where some guy is giving warnings about any version that is not V1 or V4(?), I am not sure about it.

Our bike has a Sram 7S hub with freewheel, so with the larger chain ring in most kits we could probably balance it with a larger rear sprocket right? Most convertions I see, is on derailleur type bikes.

The Sunstar SO3+ is the "official" motor in the Nihola shop: http://www.sunstaribike.com/en/nihola-and-sunstar-the-ideal-combination/ but it is 2x as expensive as a Bafang kit...

Sunstar price for kit with 11AH rear battery in Copenhagen = 1180£ (most expensive, but close by if part of kit fails).
Sunstar price for same kit from http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/ = 950£ (save 230£, but i'm guessing weeks for repair if something happens).
Bafang price with 13AH battery from http://eclipsebikes.com/ (saw someone mentioned them in a different thread) = 560£. This looks like a bargain, but battery must be mounted in cargo area + hassle with returns if needed.

Any advice?

C

Cyclezee

Hi GPG,

Welcome to the forum.

You seem to be convinced that mid drive is the best solution, but what about a hub motor?

If you are in Copenhagen, you could check out these guys http://thunderfist.dk/

Here are a couple of their conversions
63784_486054391548709_2487292495367028310_n.jpg
11134045_486054531548695_4818433943612004444_n.jpg
and this looks like their delivery guy
10655308_383604731793676_1018038796765585044_o.jpg

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
go for the Bafang BBS02 36V 25A 500W.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Sunstar SO1, SO2 and SO3 have all been distinctly on the weedy side, giving what's best described as light assistance on normal bikes. For your loading I'd say definitely the Bafang and also save yourself some money.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The advantage of the Sunstar is the torque sensor instead of PAS. As you can buy a torque sensor for use with a hub motor doe $240 they are really overpriced IMHO.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I note you have an SRAM hub gear, ruling out a rear hub motor at present, but not completely since it's possible to convert to a derailleur gear with a hub motor wheel. Shimano make an add-on rear mechanism hanger that I've used to convert two bikes to derailleurs with rear motors and it works well. Here it is:

gpg

Apr 25, 2015
Thanks for the quick replies so far guys.

Cyclezee: It looks like I'd have to add a rear derailleur, new chain, shifter and chain ring if I opt for your kit. It is also listed as 350W on thunderfist's page, can you confirm this? Why would you choose this setup compared to a Bafang one?
Sounds expensive with a completely new gear setup and you can't shift gears while standing still (compared to the internal gear hub we have now), I know the wife is not very fond of change - she runs internal gears on her current bike. Maybe use the throttle to get going and then shift?
I do actually have one of those hangers flecc mentions, so thats good to hear he have had succes with such a setup. This setup seems a bit more messy with the external controller and gears.

Trex: Any reasoning for your advice?
I was indeed thinking of the 350W or 500W Bafang version seeing as the Nihola+kids+cargo is a lot heavier than the normal two wheeled e-bikes who uses the 250W motor. Won't the 25km/h limit still be there on a 500W unit, but this unit will just have an easier time helping with all the extra kilos? Would it deplete the battery much quicker too?

Is the torque sensor really worth all that extra money? I can imagine it would be great on a MTB, but for the daily steady commute I would think PAS is okay. I have no experience with it though!

I didn't know about the Sunstars "weakness", I'll look more in to that.

Also, I've seen chain ring adapters for the Bafang on ebay, seems like a good solution compared to having a custom CNC chain ring made for the Sunstar, those are like 60£...

Any advise on battery type? Would 13AH suffice for a 36V kit? This e-bike business is a real jungle to enter, so I am very happy with any questions you have the time to answer, also please just drop a link if I can then read up on it myself.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can only find one review claiming the Sunstar SO3 is powerful, that by Richard Peace for Bike Radar. However, he compares it to the Koga e-light which he also likes and which uses the Sparta direct drive rear hub motor, one of the low powered Dutch motors which suits their flat terrain. That doesn't give me much faith in his judgement. It's basically unchanged from the previous SO1 and SO2 versions but with a switched high power mode which gains a bit over those very low powered add-ons. Even their fan Richard Peace reported those in two earlier reviews as very low powered.

Our d8veh has tried the SO3 and like me, finds it low powered and says it's below 250 watt expectations. He feels it would suit a light folder, fitting with my impression that it's best for light assistance on a normal bike.

Power apart it's a quite sophisticated and smooth running system, albeit with some more buzzing noise compared to other good crank drives, but I just don't see it as enough for a Nihola in anything other than a flat area.

Also check on their battery prices, their largest is 12 Ah and could be pricey given the high kit price, and they only give a one year warranty when most now give two years or more.

Last edited:
Reactions: mechaniker
I´m with d8veh and flecc that the sunstar has to low power.

If I´d build that bike for my wife I would go for a Heinzmann,
convert the drop-out for cassette Motor and ready is a powerfull cargobike with 250Watt.

The Bafang 250Watt is in my eyes also to weak.
with 500Watt bafang it´ll work but it´s against the law.

so I see the Heinzmann or a other powerfull hub like the D-Bionx but no middrive

A lot of customer use the Heinzmann in cargo-bike´s like the "Bullit" and they are satisfied.

With www.cyclezee.com you have a quality dealer in UK for Heinzmann

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think that the OP has a point that you are all overlooking: you can change gear while stopped with an internal hub gear change (without mentioning his other half's preference for hub gears...). This can be very usefull in stop and go riding such as in a city like Copenhagen. Copenhagen, from memory is also rather flat (at least by my standards). So a Bafang BBSO1 with the controller reprogrammed to 18 amps and a healthy battery might just be up to that task n'est pas?

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the quick replies so far guys.

Cyclezee: It looks like I'd have to add a rear derailleur, new chain, shifter and chain ring if I opt for your kit. It is also listed as 350W on thunderfist's page, can you confirm this? Why would you choose this setup compared to a Bafang one?
Sounds expensive with a completely new gear setup and you can't shift gears while standing still (compared to the internal gear hub we have now), I know the wife is not very fond of change - she runs internal gears on her current bike. Maybe use the throttle to get going and then shift?
I do actually have one of those hangers flecc mentions, so thats good to hear he have had succes with such a setup. This setup seems a bit more messy with the external controller and gears.
Hi gpg,

My suggestion was really that you should try some converted bikes that are local to you in Copenhagen.
As Thunderfist have converted Nihola cargo bikes already that might be a good place to start before handing over money for anything.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's true that you can change gear with hub gears when not pedalling, but it's not so easy to change gear when pedalling hard. It's the other way round with derailleur gears, so you get advantages and disadvantages with both.

Last edited by a moderator:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I was indeed thinking of the 350W or 500W Bafang version seeing as the Nihola+kids+cargo is a lot heavier than the normal two wheeled e-bikes who uses the 250W motor. Won't the 25km/h limit still be there on a 500W unit, but this unit will just have an easier time helping with all the extra kilos? Would it deplete the battery much quicker too?

Is the torque sensor really worth all that extra money? I can imagine it would be great on a MTB, but for the daily steady commute I would think PAS is okay. I have no experience with it though!

Also, I've seen chain ring adapters for the Bafang on ebay, seems like a good solution compared to having a custom CNC chain ring made for the Sunstar, those are like 60£...

Any advise on battery type? Would 13AH suffice for a 36V kit? This e-bike business is a real jungle to enter, so I am very happy with any questions you have the time to answer, also please just drop a link if I can then read up on it myself.
you could indeed go for the 250W BBS01, but the 500W gives quite a bit extra power when you need it, within the same 25kph speed limit, and costs only a little bit more. Will it deplete the battery more quickly? no.
Torque sensor: I have not ridden a cargo bike so can't comment.

gpg

Apr 25, 2015
Hmm a heinzmann kit looks to be as expensive as the Sunstar SO3+. I am still not sure on if the wife could grow accustomed to external gear shifting either.

I emailed Wooshbikes about the situation and I suggested the 500W Bafang. He said:"I am concerned that the 500W motor may overwhelm your 7-speed hub gear, 250W should be ok."

The bike is from 2007, 2nd hand and I have no idea about the hub's health. It runs fine now though. Sounds like if I go 500W I would have to upgrade the rear wheel. Shame its so hard to find 26" internal gear hubs built to order...

Maybe I should just go with the 250W version, keep it legal and no need to change gear setup (maybe a smaller chain ring + adapter).

I imagine the shifting experience with a mid drive varies a lot based on whether you run hub or external gears. Hub = no pedaling when shifting, I then assume the motor turns off due to PAS so one can shift? If so, then why does the kit come with levers to turn the motor off when breaking?
External = pedaling when shifting, but how is this affected with PAS? Won't it disturb the shifting as it will try to keep the speed up compared to PAS level?

C

Cyclezee

Hmm a heinzmann kit looks to be as expensive as the Sunstar SO3+. I am still not sure on if the wife could grow accustomed to external gear shifting either.
Sometimes you get what you pay for, a bullet proof kit from a German manufacturer with a reputation for quality, reliability and performance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I emailed Wooshbikes about the situation and I suggested the 500W Bafang. He said:"I am concerned that the 500W motor may overwhelm your 7-speed hub gear, 250W should be ok."
Woosh are right, 500 watts is too much for that SRAM 7 hub gear, especially on your bike. I manage to eventually break an SRAM P5 hub gear using the low powered early Panasonic crank unit Lafree by towing large loads, so similar loading to your application.

250 watts is about the limit for these gear hubs.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
where are you going to put in a hub motor? there is a hub gear on your 26" rear wheel. BBS01 is the solution. Don't worry about gear change, it's quite easy to get use to blip the brakes and change if you are climbing a steep hill.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I read about a guy who added a "clutch" lever - a brake lever that was not connected to the brakes just to turn the motor off when changing gear. Was it someone on here? He said it looked weird - two brake levers on the left hand side - but it worked well for him. I thought that a push button would work just as well and be more discrete.

250W - you aren't going to be racing the thing nor climbing the Alp d'Huez?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
where are you going to put in a hub motor? there is a hub gear on your 26" rear wheel.
We covered that earlier Trex, by fitting the derailleur adaptor to the frame instead, and in fact the OP already has one of those.

Reactions: trex

gpg

Apr 25, 2015
Sometimes you get what you pay for, a bullet proof kit from a German manufacturer with a reputation for quality, reliability and performance.
If only we had the money :) The product does look great!

Thanks for the heads up flecc.

Trex: Indeed, I would have to switch the gears + hub.

Great you posted again anotherkiwi, I was just about to quote you on the 250W reprogrammed to 18amp part. This sounds a bit above my skills, would it just allow the motor to draw more power from the battery?
Not at all for racing no, its the very careful wife+kid+the occasional groceries bags 12km every day a bit north of Copenhagen.

Will probably pull the trigger on a 250W Bafang kit soon. Then we can (almost) keep all the current components and it will help her far more than no motor at all! Still not sure if we can use the Bafang 46 tooth chain ring in place of the current 38 tooth, and just go for highest possible tooth count rear sprocket i can find.

What rear carrier battery would you recommend?
It can't really be any of the new "water bottle" type as there aren't room nor any screw holes on the frame.