KTM Macina Cross 10 Plus - thoughts

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
Sorry to be a pain to one and all but I really do have to get my choice of electric bike right. Having appeared to have gone around the houses on reviewing various models and received many views and opinions I'm on a quest again as one of our members has suggested I look at the KTM Macina Cross 10 Plus. Now I've looked at the specs and the style and it looks to fit the bill but again I would like your views.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'd hardly consider that you are being a pain. It's an expensive purchase, so why not research and ask. :) As said in the other thread, I would imagine that most Bosch powered 700c wheeled bikes would be a pleasure to ride.

Aimed at different market, the ex demo ladies Macina Fun that I bought for my wife, which she frustratingly won't ride due to her not having any confidence, is a brilliant bike to ride. I intend to write a full review for it at some stage, but briefly, I love it. :) I think that love comes from the fact that the 700c wheels just make it glide effortless along when compared with my mountain bikes. It takes so little effort to maintain a decent cruising speed way in excess of the motors cut off point. I have noticed two distinct differences in respect of the Active Line motor over that of my Performance Line. The first I feel is more important, and that is that battery life is very good over that of the mtb with it's performance motor. The second difference which I don't feel is quite so important, is that it does require more effort on steeper hills than the mtb. I put this down to both gearing and the extra 12Nm of torque that the Performance line motor has. Perfomance always comes at a price, and I guess that cost is in battery range.
I'm no fan of the small front sprocket set up, but on the 700c ladies bike, it doesn't appear to have made any adverse difference.
As said before, if you are ever over my way, you are more than welcome to try it, to get a feel for how the motor reacts and rides.

What will be the first review photos, giving the bike a once over to get a better feel for it. :)

Last edited:

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
By the way, virtually every photo online of the Cross 10 Plus shows it with a ladies frame. It is also available with a gents frame too! I actually had one on order before thinking I could make a bike more suitable for my own needs by doing a conversion.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
No problem ajb9. ;)

Just to add to my previous post, something has struck me that I could be very wrong about the useable battery mileage difference. Even with just road use, I'm stupidly comparing two very different bikes. Upon reflection, I suspect that gliding along as effortless as 700c wheels do, there won't be any loss, and that it is perhaps more likely that there would be a potential and significant gain.
Also as the Macina Cross has the Performance line, not the Active Line as I first thought, hill climbing should be very good as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vennwood

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
The Cross 10 Plus has the Performance Line indeed, for £2k. The Cross 9 has the Active Line and is a competitive £1,699.

Michael

Reactions: Vennwood

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Do the forks have enough travel for what you want?
Also, I find these hardtails thump a bit if trying to pull any thing more than a gentile ride off road due to the extra weight.

Off road, I treat mine as an electric motorbike, and I realise now, I wouldn't have an off road motorbike without full suspension. (you don't see Harley hard tails doing too much motorcross... ;) )

Geoff.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Or the other way of looking at it, is it worth having full suspension, when you get barley six months of benefit from it off road. I have it, but I wouldn't overly miss it if I didn't.
In many respects, I enjoy the freedom of my hardatil mtb more than I do the burden of the extra weight that an fs bike has, along with it's associated extra maintenance.

Les S

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2015
I've had a Macina Cross Plus 10 for just over a year and have been delighted with its performance. I tried out many bikes before buying one of these and have no regrets. Have notched up 1,500 miles or so mainly on roads with some light off roading as well.
The bike handles very well and as I have wrist and finger joint problems I have found the front suspension very useful. We live in a hilly area and have found the bike tackles this terrain very well.
The bike is very well balanced on the road and I've found the power delivery is excellent.
A lot of bikes I tried, to me, didn't seem very stable on the road whereas the KTM seems to be designed for the job in hand.
As far as range is concerned between 40-50 miles is easily achievable and on flatter roads using Eco and some tour assistance over 50 miles is easily achievable.
I'm not a technical person so can't give a technical appraisal, all I can say the bike suits me very well.
Not sure what the availability is now but they were like hen's teeth last year.