[May 5, 2015] Box Hill, Dorking, Surrey Electric Bike gathering? (Rykas Cafe)

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Hope you have a good day. Definitely won't be with you - motor's in pieces and I've managed to lose a vital circlip!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any one wishing to turn up for a cycle ride arrive at Rykas café A24 Boxhill/Dorking at 12 noon today, Chris and I will be there.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes a great gathering place for bikers and could be for pedelecers, plenty of noise like being in the pits at a moto gp race.
Keith, Chris and I had 3 very different bikes to compare, Chris's 1950's drop bar bike (had many a person stop and talk to him about it) but being a fixie the gearing wasn't really able to manage any major climbing and without having to pick him off the floor after a few miles it was decided to just go for a 10k flat ride along the A24 and surrounding roads on to a watering hole on the A25 nr the cemetery for ale, guiness, ginger beers and a few chips.
For thriftiness couldn't fault Keith's Ezee Forza bought for 100 complete and a used battery for 120 a little battery bodgering ( sorry adapting ) and voila one perfectly rideable fast bike.

Reactions: chris_comber

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Sounds a good time, and the weather was rather better than for my cycle in to work this morning. I'll try and make the next one!

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
It was fun flying past people on their regular bikes, especially on the way back from the Watermill Pub. But it was a real shame that my gears wouldn't allow me to climb the zig-zap. Next time though! Just need to do some modifications. I'm sure if we had gone up to the National Trust Cafe, we would have had a fair few people asking about our bikes.

On my way way back home, I was stopped a couple more times by people interested in my bike... It's nice to know other people appreciate my bike as much as I do.

Neal, I've stopped my rear calliper rubbing on the tire, I just need to true the wheel now. Keith, I'm looking forwards to climbing the hill on the farm, near Denbies.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I used to go to Boxhill many many times as a child due to being brought up in Sutton, Surrey. Sadly i'm West Country now but would have loved to have come along.

I went to the cafe at the top end of the 'Deceptive Bends' last year in my car with my Mother, Brother and nephews and was surprised at how many lycra cyclist there were there (I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all). I would be interested on how the reactions from that lot would have been with me on my pedelec with saddle bags.

Oh. And those cafes are blinking expensive..!

Last edited:

lee-wave

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2012
Leatherhead
It was fun flying past people on their regular bikes, especially on the way back from the Watermill Pub. But it was a real shame that my gears wouldn't allow me to climb the zig-zap. Next time though! Just need to do some modifications. I'm sure if we had gone up to the National Trust Cafe, we would have had a fair few people asking about our bikes.

On my way way back home, I was stopped a couple more times by people interested in my bike... It's nice to know other people appreciate my bike as much as I do.

Neal, I've stopped my rear calliper rubbing on the tire, I just need to true the wheel now. Keith, I'm looking forwards to climbing the hill on the farm, near Denbies.
Enjoyed the afternoon - as you can see on most summer weekends around that area you could well believe you somehow got caught up in some cycling event as a 'peleton' sweeps past you at warp speed.

A nice ride to try in the future is up Boxhill - stop at the lookout then continue around Headley court back to the Leatherhead rounabout - then that climb up behind Denbies to a most beautiful secluded area with bluebells and other wildflowers at this time of the year. You could then continue on to Polesden Lacey and complete with a fast descent back to Dorking...

That same week I mananged 2 rides to work and would have made 3 but for the weather closing in on Thursday.

See you again one day...

Keith

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
All your ride suggestions sounds great, Keith. Maybe we can do another ride in a months time.. By then I'm hoping to have added (modded) a Hammerschidt drive onto the side of my 8Fun mid drive. My intention is to leave the Hammerschmidt in constant overdrive, so my pedalling efforts are increased by the additional planetary gear. Chain alignment should be a problem either..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cant' sleep Chris :). Yes count me in, weekend /weekday am or pm. I'm pretty sure Leewave will come along.
Just about to go out now on a ride down to Sheffield park.

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
Hi Nealh, how's things? We should aim for a weekend then, prob meet around 12noon again? Ride, then pub and see what happens.

Cant' sleep Chris :). Yes count me in, weekend /weekday am or pm. I'm pretty sure Leewave will come along.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
There are some good off road loops around Sheffield park/Horsted Keynes. I'll have to search some out for you, but this ride shows one of the bridleways at Horstead Keynes. It's at the end of Church Lane. Not very long, but the lakes are nice, and the roads beyond quiet. https://www.strava.com/activities/306180242

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Eddie, I rode out on the Boardman today so stayed 99% on the hard stuff, need to search out some more routes for mtb and road.

Last edited:

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
Thanks Eddie. Maybe we can organise a ride around there at some point.

Hard stuff is better for my bike at the moment as well. I'm still working on improve my bikes climbing ability... I'll prob change my rear gear hub.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sunday Oct 04 or Sat Oct 10 are the only W/E days I can manage up to November.

bfk90

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2015
Cranleigh
Hi Chris and everybody,

Just to introduce myself, I am Ken and in my middle 70's, I have a pedelec ( a Kalfhoff Integrale, beautifully designed but a bit heavy) on order so that I can go uphill again, as living in Cranleigh as there is a hill which ever way one goes. I am looking forward to the delivery of my new bike and getting to know it.

I hope that when I do I will be ready for a meet up at say Box Hill or maybe at the café at the top of Newlands corner where I used to meet many motorcyclists. My new bike is definitely a road bike but perhaps would cope with some easy off road tracks.

Regards
Ken

Simon Rafferty

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2016
Horsham
Likewise - I'd be up for meeting up with some of you in Sussex / Surrey some time! It would be interesting to see some more commercial e-bikes. All I've ever seen are what I've built!

Si