Muc-Off Chain Cleaner

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
On my previous MAC hub motored bike, I never cleaned the chain and just lubed it every now and again.

This worked fine for that set-up, as I rarely needed to change out of top gear, and the bike had a robust 7-speed rear derailleur.

Moving on to my Bafang BBS02 bike, I felt it was time to take better care of the drivetrain system, as it relies on this for reliable performance.

Spotting some Muc-Off Chain Cleaner on Halfords website with some glowing reviews, I reserved a tin and picked it up an hour later.
BTW, it's price matched at the moment for £5.25 for 400ml, but I don't know how long it will stay at this price.

muc-off-chain-cleaner.jpg

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/cleaning-lube/muc-off-chain-cleaner-400ml

On closer inspection of my drivetrain, I saw that it was actually a lot dirtier than I thought. I had just been using one of those Bikehut gear cleaning brushes, to remove the worst crud off after every ride, but obviously this was not enough.

I put a couple of rags on the floor beneath the bike, gave the can a good shake as instructed, and sprayed the chain and rear mech, whilst rotating the crank.

Wow, the dirty black greasy muck literally fell off :)

With the spray nozzle pushed fully down, the cleaning fluid comes blasting out, driving out muck from between the chain links and the cassette cogs.

A quick rinse with the garden hose and the drivetrain was like new.
I reckon, after the initial deep clean, I should only need a maintenance clean, using less fluid, maybe once a week.

I only recommend a product if I think it does what it claims to do, and boy does this stuff perform.

For all you crank drive owners out there, this is a product that is a welcome addition to your bike maintenance arsenal ;)

Pros
  • Will get the dirtiest of drivetrains sparkling clean
  • Takes minimal effort to achieve good results
  • Handy, short, built in nozzle extension, for directional control of spray
  • Trusted brand for quality bike products
  • Biodegradable
Cons
  • Can get a little messy, if you are not careful whilst spraying
  • A little on the expensive side, if you pay full price

Last edited:
Reactions: 4bound

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
On my previous MAC hub motored bike, I never cleaned the chain and just lubed it every now and again.

This worked fine for that set-up, as I rarely needed to change out of top gear, and the bike had a robust 7-speed rear derailleur.

Moving on to my Bafang BBS02 bike, I felt it was time to take better care of the drivetrain system, as it relies on this for reliable performance.

Spotting some Muc-Off Chain Cleaner on Halfords website with some glowing reviews, I reserved a tin and picked it up an hour later.
BTW, it's price matched at the moment for £5.25 for 400ml, but I don't know how long it will stay at this price.

View attachment 11444

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/cleaning-lube/muc-off-chain-cleaner-400ml

On closer inspection of my drivetrain, I saw that it was actually a lot dirtier than I thought. I had just been using one of those Bikehut gear cleaning brushes, to remove the worst crud off after every ride, but obviously this was not enough.

I put a couple of rags on the floor beneath the bike, gave the can a good shake as instructed, and sprayed the chain and rear mech, whilst rotating the crank.

Wow, the dirty black greasy muck literally fell off :)

With the spray nozzle pushed fully down, the cleaning fluid comes blasting out, driving out muck from between the chain links and the cassette cogs.

A quick rinse with the garden hose and the drivetrain was like new.
I reckon, after the initial deep clean, I should only need a maintenance clean, using less fluid, maybe once a week.

I only recommend a product if I think it does what it claims to do, and boy does this stuff perform.

For all you crank drive owners out there, this is a product that is a welcome addition to your bike maintenance arsenal ;)

Pros
  • Will get the dirtiest of drivetrains sparkling clean
  • Takes minimal effort to achieve good results
  • Handy, short, built in nozzle extension, for directional control of spray
  • Trusted brand for quality bike products
  • Biodegradable
Cons
  • Can get a little messy, if you are not careful whilst spraying
  • A little on the expensive side, if you pay full price
Ford,

You are not the cleaning Messiah, you are a very naughty boy for letting your drivetrain get so dirty in the first place.