Just ordered a 750w BBS02, my first electric bike !

CroydonTed

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2015
I'm trying to - but theres no definitive source of info about compatible chargers, PSU to run charges, BMS systems etc

It's a minefield! I'm well aware about the inherent dangers of LiPoly but I want concrete info on what charger, PSU and how to program the thing to charge correctly. I can't seem to find anything. It's seems you either know about this stuff or you don't...

D

Deleted member 4366

When you mentioned charging as fast as possible, it becomes much more complicated and expensive. You didn't mention a budget. Do you already know the basics of caring for lipos?

CroydonTed

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2015
Yeah - I understand the HVC and LVC - storage charge etc - but what I'm not sure of is what charger and PSU to buy to charge these batteries in a reasonable time frame - time to charge is important but also cost is important if you get my drift!

On my bike I will be using a Cycle Analyst to warn of low voltage so therefore I've read that I will need to balance my cells regularly too to make sure I don't mess the packs up. Therefore charger needs to be able to do this reliably.

Does that make sense - I'm reading a lot but it's quite overwhelming and need some direction...

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
That particular one is discontinued and there aren't many around that do more than 10S. I use an iCharger 1010B+ which will do 10S so you could use this and charge each pack separately. You also need a big power supply to drive them - I use this 350W one from Hobbyking.

I have to say that if you're spending big money on chargers why not just get a commercial li-ion pack instead? Made from 18650 cells, safer, come with charger etc.

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

For a 12v power supply, you can convert a server power supply, which costs about £10 from Ebay. That Hyperion charger is 550w max, so you need a power supply of at least 750w. If you charged at 5A, it would be done in about 3.5 hours. That's around 250w, so you could use a 500w power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mfj197

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
For a 12v power supply, you can convert a server power supply, which costs about £10 from Ebay. That Hyperion charger is 550w max, so you need a power supply of at least 750w. If you charged at 5A, it would be done in about 3.5 hours. That's around 250w, so you could use a 500w power supply.
Would probably be quieter than my Hobbyking one too. The fan wails like a banshee if I'm pulling high current from it.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Hi - I have just purchased 2 x Multistar High Capacity 6S 16000mAh for my electric bike and I need to charge them as fast as possible and make sure they are balanced - what charger did you get? Sorry I'm a noob to this stuff!

Thanks

Ted
I use a pair of Meanwell NES 350-48 power supplies to charge my Multistars.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mean-Well-MW-48V-7-3A-350W-AC-DC-Switching-Power-Supply-NES-350-48-UL-PSU-/370887902167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item565aa443d7
Wired in parallel they charge at 17.3 amp.
You need to set them to EXACTLY the same voltage and will need to put a wattmeter on the charging cable so you can keep an eye on the charge state.
They are CC/CV so go down to 0A when the batteries are full.

I use one of these to check the balance although as long as you keep the cells above 3.6V they tend to stay in balance anyway.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400905641576?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also carry it with me to check the batteries if I am getting near to 3.6V.

Last edited:

Advertisers