Shimano M355 vs M395 Hydraulic Brakes

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I currently use Avid BB7 cable disc brakes but the forum has convinced me to try hydraulic brakes. CRC have a sale on at the min and just wondered if anyone knows the difference between the shimano Altus M355 and the shimano Acera M395 (other than the price) and would either budget models be considered an upgrade to what is supposed to be the best cable discs I already use.

D

Deleted member 4366

They will both be a lot better than your BB7s.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have M395 and M446 on two of my bikes which I find are excellent both use the same B01S pads as does the M355. These 3 all look as if the caliper is the same and the main difference is in the levers used hence any price difference and M range numbering,for improved stopping use 180 disc's on the front instead of 160's or go the whole hog and fit a 203. Advantage is they come pre bled so just takes a few minutes to bolt on and use.

Last edited:

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I have the M355s with 160mm disks front and back on mine and find them fantastically powerful. I can't do a direct comparison as I don't have the others but I can't imagine needing any more potency.

Michael

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies, all good info. I have now got them on order so next questions will be about hydraulic brake cutoff sensors which I will do some searching about first. Thanks

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I tried all these brakes and I'd rank them as:
Number 1: Shimano M615
Number 2: Avid BB7 mechanical
Number 3: Tektro auriga
Number 4: Clark exo skeletal brakes
Number 5: Zoom HS1 hydraulic brakes

I'd recommend getting a shimano over cheaper hydraulic as the other do not brake as well, are likely to leak, are not as modular and have a tendency to rub over the disc brake.

Reactions: awol

Advertisers