Help needed in Canada, battery needed

Tiers

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2015
Hey, I need help, my wife bought a Gitane real e-bike here in Canada from someone nto realizing that the Panasonic batteries are near non existent here. She can't find one anywhere. We need help meaning someone or somewhere that can ship here to Victoria BC Canada.
Battery needed is the panasonic 26V type. Right now it has the original 26V 3ah yes 3ah battery good for no distance whatsoever. Not sure how big she can go but was thinking the Panasonic 26V 8ah or 10ah or if anyone can co firm any bigger?
what would be ideal is someone who can either get one and ship or knows where can purchase that will ship here? Really good used is an option if someone has?.
We are desperate cause have failed to find anywhere at all.
example sort of of what she needs or higher ah if possible:
http://tweezbike.com/426-1605-thickbox/batterie-panasonic-26v-8ah-pour-velos-electriques-gitane-peugeot.jpg

Thank you so much for any help offered...
Terry and Sherry

Tiers

Jul 13, 2015
Not sure they are ...say cells are 18650 li-ion cells original is li-Mn gel type as well as the amps a r e way higher then the 3ah she has and 8-10 ah shown on replacement sites...not too mention the 146.99 US they want just for shipping...

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't have to worry about what's inside the case. Only the voltage is important. They're all nominally 26v, which is 29.4v fully charged, which is the voltage you can measure on your charger. The only thing you need to confirm is that the shape of the case is the same regarding how it fits.

Tiers

Jul 13, 2015
In theory yes, though firstoff, hey will be heavier then the gel type originally used and have seen on German and french and English websites the correct type though they won't sell to me in Canada. Have read here too that the re have been problems with the controllers and electronics with the wrong battery and too high amps...and to pay 500 or more for almost the same battery and then it doesn't work isn't doable.
I appreciate the help but surely the correct battery can be had somewhere somehow?
this site tweed is an example of what I need though your right higher ah could be good, though in Canada I cannot access this site

http://tweezbike.com/fr/batteries-velo-electrique/426-batterie-panasonic-26v-8ah-pour-velos-electriques-gitane-peugeot.html

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't have a battery with too high amps. Who told you that? It's the controller that regulates the amps, and that's in the motor, not the battery. The only thing that matters to the controller is the voltage.

18650 cells are not heavier. They have the highest energy density out of all the normal types of cells used for ebikes. You should now be able to get a battery the same weight as one with your old pouch cells, but with double the capacity. Nearly all ebike batteries use 18650 cells now because of their light weight compared with their power and capacity.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As d8veh says the amperage doesn't matter. Panasonic have made standard fit batteries for the 2007 onwards bikes with ever increasing capacities, starting at 8Ah, then 10Ah, then 12Ah and larger.

From late 2007 onwards the 26 volt ones were standard fit for the Panasonic crank unit with the exception of a wider one for the Flyer X model which was first 15Ah, later 16Ah, so be careful to avoid that type. All other Flyer models used the standard fit.

Tiers

Jul 13, 2015
K get what your saying ...and under stand the ah, this is an earlier model french Gitane
http://gitane.com/real-e-bike-26v-26-mixte-en-detail-1-43.html
thus some of my fears of buying the larger batteries. There were earlier talks even in this forum years ago about problems and such so being that the prices for these batteries will fall in 500+ shipped I must be careful. Re: the 18650 cell vs the gel type recharge rates are higher as well 500 + so was still thinking that was better option since they are still available I had read, but almost irrelevan will consider all.
More then anything I am looking for possible places or peops to get a battery shipped here, the Ali site can't be the only place (besides the 150$ they want just for shipping seems odd).
So again if anyone has any other ideas would appreciate. Have searched here in Canada online but am either geo blocked or language problem or they don't ship internationally.
Thanks for help not arguing any info btw just being careful all info appreciated

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Only the Chinese will ship to you because lithium batteries are classed as dangerous goods. The normal shipping cost is between $100 and $200 (US)

Tiers

Jul 13, 2015
Not completely true depends on shipping method /carrier country...laws changed a few years ago only need to check carrier...individual cells are still the biggest problems but if installed in a device more lax...China ships easier then anyone though, no problem with that...highest fraud rate though.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
K get what your saying ...and under stand the ah, this is an earlier model french Gitane
http://gitane.com/real-e-bike-26v-26-mixte-en-detail-1-43.html
thus some of my fears of buying the larger batteries. There were earlier talks even in this forum years ago about problems and such
I've been in here since the forum opened and doubts were not on the grounds of Ah. One member said he been informed the base fit on his 2007 Dutch Gazelle Easy Glider was different, but there's never been any confirmation. That had the second generation Panasonic unit so it seemed unlikely.

However, it's possible your early model has a different fitting since it was smaller capacity than any that ever reached the UK. That said, it looks exactly like the 2007 onward 8Ah battery that we did receive on several makes.

This link to my Panasonic support website has a photo of the standard battery base that's been current from 2007 on, which may help you to compare.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Chronopost (are you seated?) 140€ France to Canada. China will be the cheapest option I think.

Tiers

Jul 13, 2015
Hey flecc, ya was some of your posts that had me worried....yes the 8ah and on should be ok..?.so having said that is China only options? And having said that are 18650's only options now li-Mn not avail anymore? Was there any issues with controllers?
And does anyone have any links to batteries?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't guarantee that your fitting is the same Tiers, since we never saw a full size bike with that small a capacity battery in the UK, only those from 8Ah upwards. I don't even understand why anyone would even think of fitting battery that small a capacity.

Years before in 2003 we had the Panasonic "Will" folding bike with the crank unit but a 5Ah battery which did have a different fitting, which makes it possible that yours could be different from the mainstream. Without seeing and measuring the two I just cannot say, though your bike appears to have the same case as the first modern 8Ah and the frame lock is in the same position. If the base of your 3Ah battery looks identical in every respect to the base photo on my website, then it's fair bet they are the same fitting.

Almost every maker has switched to 18650 built-in-protection cell constructions since they are so superior to the older hard case or pouch cells, so that is not a problem.

There's been no issues with the controllers or any of the electronic hardware on the second generation Panasonic units, it was just the first generation one that had some issues, and to my knowledge they were only seen on Giant Lafree and Biketec Flyers in the West.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Hey, I need help, my wife bought a Gitane real e-bike here in Canada from someone nto realizing that the Panasonic batteries are near non existent here.
I'm no expert on the geography of Canada but I did live in Toronto for a while and know how very large the country is. Victoria is close to the US, as is Toronto.

I just looked up Victoria to check and it would appear it's a three hour ferry journey to Seattle. Seattle appears to have a few well established e-bike shops so if I were you I would email them and ask whether they can supply the battery. If so, then jump on a ferry and go buy one?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seattle appears to have a few well established e-bike shops so if I were you I would email them and ask whether they can supply the battery. If so, then jump on a ferry and go buy one?
Electric Vehicles NW
4810 17th Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107, United States
+1 206-547-4621

are probably the oldest established supplier of e-bikes in the USA and they have a history of dealing with Panasonic batteries from 2001, since they were the original US agents for the Lafree e-bikes with Panasonic crank units.

Here is their email page

Reactions: SteveRuss