Creaking crank on new Agattu

Jofang

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2015
I have bought a new Agattu 8HS. It's only done 30 miles and has developed a creak in the crank. This is noticeable when the electric power is off, but it's not so noticeable when using any of the 3 power modes. I first thought it might be my old pedals that I fitted when I first bought it a week ago, so I re-fitted the new pedals that came with the bike but no change. The 'creak' appears when either left or right pedal is at approximately 4 o'clock on the down stroke and is driving me nuts. I've read several threads on the site referring to this anomaly and many relate to loose motor bolts or worn chain/sprocket. Being new I can't see the problem relating to the chain/sprocket so must assume that it's the motor mounting bolts. I saw a thread on this site some time ago that showed drawings of the crank assembly but I can't find this thread now I need it. Can anyone help or tell me where this thread is? I'm sure some will say I should take it back to the dealer but it's a 90 mile round trip and I'd prefer to fix it myself if I can, especially as it might happen again and I need to know how to deal with it.
Thanks.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's usually the left crank that can get loosened with pedalling. If that is the case, just tighten the crank bolt until the creaking noise stops.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Can anyone help or tell me where this thread is?
Flecc is probably still able to provide a link to his Panasonic material in which there is some guidance with regard to motor assembly mounting points and an explanation of how creaking may be remedied if that indeed is the source of your problem.

Many of us who have owned Panasonic crank-drives have had to deal with just such a problem but your Agattu does not utilise the Panasonic motor in its later incarnations, I believe. Should that be so, it may still be the case that the noise issue can be cured by slackening the motor mounting bolts, shuffling the assembly around a little then re-tightening the bolts. In essence, that was how I cured my problem.

Unless you are familiar with sockets and spanners, I would caution that some care is required when tightening these bolts so checking out the torque settings and actually employing a torque wrench may be best practice.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Arrowed is where the three mounting bolts are on the new type Panasonic unit, frame upside down in this photo of course. Your Impulse motor will have similar mounting bolts, possibly three or four which might need to be tightened. Units bed down quickly due to the paint thickness in the frame mountings crushing under the twisting pressure of pedalling.

But do make sure it's not a crank bolt first, it often is.

Jofang

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2015
Thank you all for your most helpful comments, which I'm surprised to have so quickly. I'm a retired engineer with loads of Snap-On including a torque wrench so will now get stuck in and will report back.
Cheers!

Jofang

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2015
OK - have tightened both the left & right crank arm retaining nuts to no avail so must now move on to the motor mounting bolts. From previous posts I'm assuming these are HT socket head cap screws and whilst I have Allen keys and a socket set with me in the car I don't have any Allen sockets, as I'm on holiday at present. Will tackle this when we get back home next week. thanks again for your help & watch this space.
Cheers!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Left hand crank not tight. (IMVHO)

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
OK - have tightened both the left & right crank arm retaining nuts to no avail so must now move on to the motor mounting bolts. From previous posts I'm assuming these are HT socket head cap screws and whilst I have Allen keys and a socket set with me in the car I don't have any Allen sockets, as I'm on holiday at present. Will tackle this when we get back home next week. thanks again for your help & watch this space.
Cheers!
Interested to hear your conclusions @Jofang , as my Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 10 also has a bit of a creak from the same area when I push on the pedals hard.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Interested to hear your conclusions @Jofang , as my Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 10 also has a bit of a creak from the same area when I push on the pedals hard.
sure its not your knees !!

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Awaiting update on this one still; I had a quick look around the bottom bracket area on my Pro Connect Impulse 10 yesterday with a view to taking off the plastic guard(s) to better see where the motor fixing screws are - and couldn't actually see how to get the plastic chain guard off lol :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Awaiting update on this one still; I had a quick look around the bottom bracket area on my Pro Connect Impulse 10 yesterday with a view to taking off the plastic guard(s) to better see where the motor fixing screws are - and couldn't actually see how to get the plastic chain guard off lol :rolleyes:
Probably the same as the Agattu, see the instruction on my support website, on this link

reggie_electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2015
I'm also getting creaks on a new Agattu 8HS. I'll try out the tricks above and see how I get on. I need to get a crank tool first to see if I can tighten it. The left hand side crank axle has a little bit of movement (1-2mm) when it goes into the bottom bracket (or whatever it goes into on these bikes). I'm not sure if that is standard or not, but something is creaking when I put pressure onto the system.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My Cannondale developed a creaking every time I pressed down on the left pedal and after a week I finally traced it to .................the suspension seat post !
Removed the pins from my Suntour NCX and greased them and its been silent for the last 1800 miles since.

Reactions: reggie_electric

reggie_electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2015
I had a look today and the silver screws holding the black plate in this were all tight on both sides. I have some other spare pedals so will exchange those in the week and see if it stops it. Process of elimination. I'll listen out for the seat post too ;-)

20160306_153400.jpg

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
This is nothing - [one of ] my second hand Lafree's [1st gen. panasonic] left hand crank [for LH pedal] has developed the habit of undoing itself no matter how much i tighten the locking nut. Been taking tools to tighten it when out and about as several times have felt it start to wobble with each rotation as it undoes itself and then clunk, blooming thing is lying in the road; only keeping the locking nut as the plastic cover stops that going awol. Even tried another crank arm and same thing happened. I suppose could Locktite it.
Q? - not totally related and perhaps one for Flecc; is the actual crank [axle] the same in the 1st gen panasonic as the second gen. I ask as my leeds [2nd gen] is creaking++ and someone said it 'needed new crank' - and i could cannibalise old pana for newer one if need be.
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Q? - not totally related and perhaps one for Flecc; is the actual crank [axle] the same in the 1st gen panasonic as the second gen. I ask as my leeds [2nd gen] is creaking++ and someone said it 'needed new crank' - and i could cannibalise old pana for newer one if need be.
I've never exactly measured the pair, but visually the entire crank and pedelec assemblies look identical. In the two photos below, the frst one is shown is the old one with freewheel pawl assembly off. The second photo of the new one is with that on, accounting for the visual difference at the right. The third photo shows two views of that pawl outer assembly that's missing in the top photo:

I also suffered that repeated left loose crank problem on my old Lafree, but eventually I finally managed to tighten it enough to stop it happening again. It then lasted ok for me for years, and for two subsequent owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: marwigan

Advertisers