Unfit, overweight, bad knees, no hair but own teeth!

cogburn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2015
Hi everyone. I don't own an ebike but am looking to get one sometime soon. As I suffer with dodgy knees & have to contend with some rather steep hills I will be looking to ask questions. I have my eye on a 1000w model (yes I know about the legal stuff). I want to use the bike for short distance commutes (no more than five or six miles each way) but want to do so with very little or no pedalling - even uphill!

I am 5'10, 14 stone. Can anyone recommend a good mountain type electric bike which would act as a reliable primary mode of transport.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi
I'm still new to e-bikes, but why do you want a 1000w motor, from what I know it's not all about the power of the motor, why don't you take a look at the whoosh big bear it gets good reviews on here,
If you spend a bit of time on here and have a good read you will soon find out that's it's not all about the motor size.
Hope this helps you a bit
Steve

cogburn

Aug 2, 2015
Thanks for that. It's just the route to work is offroad & comprises a few steep hills up which I cannot pedal & I thought that level of power would propel me safely without the need for any effort.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I put a oxydrive kit on my bike a few weeks ago and with help I can go up most hills with it set on number 2 and there is 6 levels of assistance with 6 the max.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id go have a go on some tho b4 u part with any cash ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

For hills, it's torque you need, not power. If you wsnt to go up moderate hills without pedalling, there aren't many ready-made bikes that can do it. It would be better to do a DIY conversoon.

I'm not convinced that the Cyclotricity will give you hat you want. It's better for high-speed cruising than for low-speed off-road stuff. This Mosso would be much better

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181551942498&alt=web

Reactions: rippedupno1

cogburn

Aug 2, 2015
What make is your '750'? The same as in the link provided by d8veh?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Before you get carried away with being illegal....no pun intended. I would go and try the BPM motored bikes such as the Woosh,Kudos or Oxydrive or for a bit more cash the KTM Panasonic hub bikes....you may be pleasantly surprised by the low speed torque of these bikes.
KudosDave

cogburn

Aug 2, 2015
I don't think I'll be able to test ride any bikes but the info I've been given thus far has been most useful. Concluded I'm not looking for out & out powers (1000w) but much torque. Does anyone have any thoughts on specific models of bike which will take my 14 stones worth of burning love up & over the hills?

I've just had this thought, it I add another mile or so to my off road commute I will be able to do so over some disused concrete roadway (ww2 vintage) which cuts around the woods, still as hilly but easier on the bike perhaps?

cogburn

Aug 2, 2015
Kudoscycles, have you anything which would fit the bill as already described plus decent range (15 to 20 miles perhaps on max power)

Remember I need it to go up some steep hills without pedalling.

D

Deleted member 4366

It always depends on how steep he hills are. Only that Mosso on Ebay will be able to drive you up steep hills without pedalling. That Mosso is a good bike and well woth the money.

Reactions: rippedupno1

cogburn

Aug 2, 2015
It's not north face of the Eiger stuff, I don't know the actual steepness but would hedge my bets & say moderate to steep mostly with a bit of very steep thrown in for good measure, I reckon that about 400 or five hundred yards is the maximum length of the slopes.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Cogburn,
You are the same height & weight as me (also unencumbered by hair I guess) and if you want something in the way of a kit to add to an MTB, stay legal and do a short commute, I would recommend an oxydrive kit. It has a throttle and you can spin at minimal effort to assist you along.
It makes for a nicely integrated and reliable solution to the donor bike for most on the forum that have converted and appears to be highly regarded. I certainly give it a big thumb's up.
That being said I also rate the Panasonic hub drive on the KTMs if money is no object.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't ride the KTM without pedalling. It has a torque sensor on he crank and no throttle. It's not suitable for people who have bad knees.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There is a difference between turning the pedals and pushing on the pedals. I have rugby knees myself but am fortunate in that they only go bad when the weather turns to freezing (hence my migration further and further south...).

Last week I went to Hendaye to a RDV with my girlfriend and as the weather wasn't too hot (21 C ish) and the battery was fully charged as a test I went dressed for a town outing not in my usual riding gear. An 11 km ride with a 4.8 km climb I just turned the pedals at a regular cadence in 3rd or 4th gear, assist 5 most of the climb and didn't even break a sweat. My PAS works great and the motor was giving a steady 400 Watts all the way up according to the LCD. Instead of my usual maxed out 25-26 kph the climb was at between 19 and 21 kph dropping to 16 kph at the steepest point.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Cogburn you really need to go and try a few e-bikes out! you might be amazed just how good they are and how different they can be on performance.