Benex Intelligent Front Light

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Was looking for a new brighter front light for my A2B metro and came across the Benex Intelligent front light. The blurb said:
Rechargeable lithium battery led cycle light
This light won the prestigious IF product design award
The light has built in smart beam technology that automatically detects the surrounding light and continually adjusts the beam intensity according to the surrounding light
Providing 6 - 10 hours run time from fully charged
Complies with German traffic regulations with cut off / anti dazzle beam
Comes complete with
1 x smart beam led rechargeable light
1 x cycle bracket
1 x usb power cord
1 x instruction manual
Is on offer at £9.99 at http://www.madhog.com/cycle-lights/2014-if-product-design-award-winning-cycle-light so thought I'd give it a go.

It's supposed to adjust the intensity of the beam depending on surroundings and also does not dazzle other motorists whilst giving a clear view of the road.

It looks like this:
light.jpg

Had the first real test on Wednesday and it does exactly what it says. Doesn't dazzle motorists and adjusts the brightness according to surroundings. The video doesn't do it justice as the beam is a lot wider than it looks. I have it mounted on my front crown just to avoid more handlebar clutter.

D

Deleted member 4366

Sounds like a great light for the money. Unfortunately, though I hate to say it, it seems that it's a fact of life that "doesn't dazzle motorists" means that they won't dip their lights for you, which renders it useless on unlit roads. Did you notice that? It looks like the first one you encountered on the short unlit stretch in your video didn't dip.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Hopefully as most of the riding on the Metro is in the city there shouldn't be anyone riding round with full beam on (mind you it is Bradford). It was very bright on the darker sections and I've got other lights as marker lights. For the money and the fact it's rechargeable not bad for a tenner.