Oxydrive motor noise

4vr4

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 11, 2015
Hello everyone,
I've got a used Oxydrive kit off ebay. Was sold as untested. Firstly i've tested it on a bike upside down. All seemed to be OK.
Now i've put all the bits together on the bike and tested on the road. Surprise surprise - it's buzzing like a motorbike :)))

Here's some video of the run:

Video1: https://goo.gl/photos/vLMynYYJJXpEThV39
Video2: https://goo.gl/photos/pa8X7v4jjdg6ur8W8

If there is no load on the wheel (eg i lift the bike of the ground) it spins without that grinding noise. The wheel isn't true too.

I took motor apart. One bearing seems suspicious. Also there is a loose white wire but i can not see any other white wire around the motor.

IMG_20150920_140207.jpg IMG_20150920_140212.jpg

Any ideas what to do with it? Try fixing or scrap and get a new motor/wheel ?

Thanks in advance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Phase-Hall-Wire-Combinations.png That is an older Oxydrive kit, the white wire may be for an internal speed sensor possibly? If you think its worth the expense then the bearings are worth replacing and then splodge some grease on the gearing and hopefully the motor will run smoother, the grumbling could be wrong combo of the 3 phase wires for which there are approx 36 different combinations to try and only about 4 will work properly. Tick the boxes after each test to see which combo's work the best and then go for one of them.

Last edited:

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Just to add a quick prior step to the wiring check Nealh recommends, is to see whether the coloured wires on all of the controller /component connectors match up properly - could be someone's taken a connector off and put it back on wrong.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Oh, and to make sure none of the pins (if they're in the white plastic connectors) aren't being pushed out of their housing when you mate two connectors together.

4vr4

Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try replacing bearings first.
Connectors are all fine. also as i have mentioned in my original post it runs without grinding noise when no load on the wheel applied.

Wasn't really sure about that white wire.
Anyone here offer service/maintenance on these motors?

Is there any alternative motor what will work with Oxydrive kit/controller? The one i have - controller is built into the battery bracket.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
check the motor cable. It should be a 3-pin, the motor is hall-less. You can replace it with any Hall-less hub motor. Cost: about £100.

4vr4

Aug 11, 2015
Trex what do you mean by "check the motor cable"? the connector is 9-pin with 3 pins larger that remaining 6 pins.

4vr4

Aug 11, 2015
well took me some time to come back to this.
i have replaced the bearing and this solved the grinding noise problem.
£2 fix ;)

still have some ticking like noise, also only under weight load. if i lift wheel no noise at all. hmmmm...

4vr4

Aug 11, 2015
overall experience with the kit - i just love it. if you hesitating to buy or not just get it. i couldnt believe how much fun it is.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Oxydrive not the quietest of kits esp when its picked up on sound with the Fly6 other wise I have got used to it and it doesn't register much normally with me. Despite this it is a great bit of kit quick and powerful.

Advertisers