How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I've had that several times, and each time, I have been using the bike un-assisted. My friend that I ride with on his pedal mtb, always finds it rather amusing. I'm usually pretty chilled about it, but have had to bite my tongue a couple of times. The case being an idiot at Alfriston who kept bragging about the cost of his 29ner, and how anyone who rode up there on less, might as well stay at home. All that was before he saw my bike. I'm afraid that I let the side down that day, with my response.

I'm just off out for my regular evening/night ride, and I can guarantee that I won't see anyone else out tonight in rain on an mtb. Can't say that I fancy it much at the moment either, but with my knee issues, my fitness level has really dropped lately, and I want to get it back up again. My ride on the South Downs on Saturday, had me ten miles down on where I should have been battery wise. I know that my new tyres create phenomenal drag, but not ten miles worth!
Speaking of knee issues, my current client got wind of my problems, and took me last week to see a private consultant, for which they embarrassingly insisted on paying for. It turns out that a lot of my knee issues are related to an ongoing spine and neck issues that I have never mentioned to anyone, but they picked up upon immediately, There is significant sign of knee joint wear as well, but I'm back in hospital again this week through the NHS, and will see how things go from there. Finally it feels as though something positive is happening. :)
I've had that several times, and each time, I have been using the bike un-assisted. My friend that I ride with on his pedal mtb, always finds it rather amusing. I'm usually pretty chilled about it, but have had to bite my tongue a couple of times. The case being an idiot at Alfriston who kept bragging about the cost of his 29ner, and how anyone who rode up there on less, might as well stay at home. All that was before he saw my bike. I'm afraid that I let the side down that day, with my response.

I'm just off out for my regular evening/night ride, and I can guarantee that I won't see anyone else out tonight in rain on an mtb. Can't say that I fancy it much at the moment either, but with my knee issues, my fitness level has really dropped lately, and I want to get it back up again. My ride on the South Downs on Saturday, had me ten miles down on where I should have been battery wise. I know that my new tyres create phenomenal drag, but not ten miles worth!
Speaking of knee issues, my current client got wind of my problems, and took me last week to see a private consultant, for which they embarrassingly insisted on paying for. It turns out that a lot of my knee issues are related to an ongoing spine and neck issues that I have never mentioned to anyone, but they picked up upon immediately, There is significant sign of knee joint wear as well, but I'm back in hospital again this week through the NHS, and will see how things go from there. Finally it feels as though something positive is happening. :)
My wife has had knee problems which have been cured by a half knee op and is now back to being able to do everything she did before. Ask your doctor if Diclofenac will help to take the swelling down on your knee, you can buy a less potent over the counter version called Volterol which is also available as a rub on treatment.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its the camera lenses there just naff with lo light as mine a lot brighter than it is on the vid i done last night.

see if the edit looks any better in a bit after its done processing.

Nah, you are just mixing things up with Haibike's. ;)

no i just will not ride my bike in mud and rain as fkn crashed last time n got staples in me arm lol docs every other day for new stickers for last 3 weeks ;(

and it was my broken arm and still have to use that splint 3 hrs a day as arm still not straight broke 2 ribs and my ass again ;(

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have just realised that I haven't re oiled the chain though after washing it. I don't want to go back outside!

.[/QUOTE]

o_O May be not so hardcore.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: mountainsport

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I said that the movie clips were rubbish, but here is the best of a very bad bunch.
Mud and rain spoilt the other clips, and as the evening became night, the camera seems to have made the bike light appear like it is hardly working. It was, and visibility from it was fine. I suspect that as before, it is my mates rear light tricking the camera.
Odd how perspective works as well. The clip does nothing to show the gradient, nor just how slippery, wet, muddy and narrow that the track was, and also doesn't show riding up and across stream at the 3.50 point. I've slipped on the wet sandstone, fallen into this stream on several occasions. I've also carried the bike across it in mid January, when everything around is ice, and the water level is way above knee level.

I'll probably remove the clip tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
try the you tube tools n try and make it brighter tho loses some of the res doing that and took forever to processes it.

looks like ur having a hi speed p*ss lol ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Worth keeping on for others to view, light beam /channelling looks good also looks like your buddy has a good/similar light. Front wheel certainly is throwing up plenty of wet so does set the tone for the condiions and you can tell that the track looks narrow in places.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was all but set to going out late afternoon about 5 following some sanding/rubbing down ready for decs , the after noon cleared quite well with some nice bright spells then is started cats and dogs and hasn't given up yet.
Maybe tomorrow or day after.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
is the cmos sensor the same as the go pros in these chap action cams ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I was all but set to going out late afternoon about 5 following some sanding/rubbing down ready for decs , the after noon cleared quite well with some nice bright spells then is started cats and dogs and hasn't given up yet.
Maybe tomorrow or day after.
I reckon that you had a lucky escape. Not being that far from you as the crow flies, it certainly threw it down late afternoon.

I'm off out again tomorrow evening, but it'll be riding around the Tunbridge Wells area, as there is some quite good sandy soil over there, that dries out pretty quickly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Worth keeping on for others to view, light beam /channelling looks good also looks like your buddy has a good/similar light. Front wheel certainly is throwing up plenty of wet so does set the tone for the condiions and you can tell that the track looks narrow in places.
Slightly better. Two short clips that show that no rear light on the bike out in front, and one extra cree, make a big difference to the camera.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ed get a dongle n save ur knee ;) ur off road anyway so why not try 1 worst case you need 2 batts but go faster ,not if you got much warranty left now imo.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I thought that I had made my opinion about dongles pretty clear. I'm not going to spoil this thread going over it all again. A dongle would also have made zero speed difference to me, in either of the above clips. If you look at the bike in the second clip, he isn't using the pedals for most of it.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No rear light does improve the show, Ist clip I was chilling out on nice sound track. 2nd clip 1st thing I noticed was lack of peddling so downhill mostly.

I went out later pm till after dark for a 20 mile ride got totally plastered, my legs would have looked like yours Eddie except I wear light weight rip stop polyester mtb trousers which are water shedding and wear Brasher walking /hiker boots which are so comfy and give great ankle support also need to realign my fixed light as beam was too high. The only other bikes I saw out in the mud was a couple with their little one.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Been slowly reading the whole thread from the beginning again, has to be by far one of the best on here.

gordie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2014
I've been struggling with front end grip over the past few weeks to the point where last Friday I did a great superman impression over the bars 1/2 way round my local trail centre.

I'm not sure if this is down to tyres or the weight of the bike or where the weight is on the bike. I'm currently running the Schwalbe hans dampf tyres that came on the bike which i'm going to swap to see if it makes any difference.

I just wondered if anyone else had suffered with front end grip on their Bosch powered bikes?

It only tends to happen when i'm stood up cornering, the front end will start to wash out in dry/dusty or muddy conditions - it's a bit unnerving to say the least :eek:

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
I have the Hans Dampf tyres on my Bosch powered Haibike AMT Pro and find the front end grip pretty good. If you have front suspension check the pressure and rebound rate is correct; you can adjust them so that the suspension is keeping the wheel above the ground too much so look there. Also, I find that they are much happier at 20psi than at 40psi. What is your bike?

Reactions: gordie

gordie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2014
I have the Hans Dampf tyres on my Bosch powered Haibike AMT Pro and find the front end grip pretty good. If you have front suspension check the pressure and rebound rate is correct; you can adjust them so that the suspension is keeping the wheel above the ground too much so look there. Also, I find that they are much happier at 20psi than at 40psi. What is your bike?
I have a Haibike AMT Pro also, I hadn't considered the suspension settings so i'll take a look at that and reduce the pressures on the tyres to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the input :)

Advertisers