New rider . Advice please on kit .

johnh89

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2015
Hello to all . Been looking through the forums for a while and thought I would introduce myself and pick your respective brains on a few points . I am after a 250w kit to fix to my MTB . Originally ( some while ago ) a cheapish but sturdy MTB that over the years has had some quality upgrades to components . The frame and forks are steel and sturdy ( heavy! ) so I would have thought it would be an ideal candidate . Currently fitted with a Sturmey rear hub so I am looking for a front wheel motor . I am looking at the Cylotricity 250w FWD kit which seems to be fairly well regarded . The bike will be used for fun and leisure near home so range of 20 - 30 miles will be OK . Expecting quite a bit of input from me but motor assist would help on some of the larger hills round here and open up a whole new arena of where I can take it .
A few questions you may be able to help me with . I am after as simple system as possible as I am a great believer in the Keep it simple philosophy . Less to go wrong or indeed to have bits nicked from it . The bike will be used as pedelec and no throttle required .
Can throttle be left off from the controller or does it need bypassing ?
What is the minimum configuration that will get me running ?
I was thinking , what else would be required other than battery , motor , controller and pedelec sensor ?
Does a display need to be connected to the controller to activate the pedelec sensor ?
I am mechanically competent and not frightened of the electronic side of things .
Thanks in advance for your help .

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi John

Welcome

So, all controllers I have used need to have a display to turn on/off and control PAS settings etc. The throttle doesn't need connecting. Not in my experience thus far.

A front hub or a mid drive Kit would both do the job. Hub is cheaper and less strain on your hub gears.

As for KIS you need a battery , controller, PAS sensor, display and motor minimum.

Some kits integrate some of these. Mid drive kits like bbs01 have PAS sensor, controller and motor in one unit which you might like. Hub kits often integrate the battery and controller.

johnh89

Oct 4, 2015
Thanks for your reply . So as far as you know , if I leave the throttle disconnected , the motor will just run in pedelec mode .

johnh89

Oct 4, 2015
received from Zak at Cyclotricity today

Hello John

Thanks for your interest in our front eKit. The kit comes as default with throttle only, if you also include the PAS you will have both modes to choose from. If you disconnect the throttle from the system cable, the PAS will still work yes.

Kind regards

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I went the other way and only installed the thumb throttle and left out the pedelec as it suited me better. I've never felt the need the need to fit the pedelec even though i have it.
Other places do kits like Woosh & 8fun & others etc. So why are you only looking at the Cyclotricity kits ?

johnh89

Oct 4, 2015
Not looking only at cyclotricity kits . They appear to be well though of but no decision made yet .

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I went the other way and only installed the thumb throttle and left out the pedelec as it suited me better.
Me too though I think we may be in the minority. I just ride like a normal bike and give a squirt of throttle when I need it.
No display and power has always cut out at around 20 mph
Dave.

Last edited: