My new project(s)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Having wires all over the frame is not doing it for me so...

I noticed that BMSB sells an empty "new" bottle battery case and also a sine wave controller for it. My thought is to gut my current battery case and put those internals in a case that goes in the holder with the sine wave controller.

Any major issues to be aware of?
Do I need to buy the LCD or will my current LCD work (with eventual rewiring of the plug)?

Next year I will save my euro cents and buy a second bottle battery as a range extender. It is a shame that they are not sold without holder and charger, there is a German company that does that. The second holder is useless but I guess having a second charger as a spare could come in handy one day.

On the mechanical side I am going to:
Swap out the crappy rear V brake for a Shimano and use that occasion to add a rear HW brake sensor also from BMSB.
Change the rear derailleur for one that is capable of shifting to my 34 tooth granny gear (running out of battery on the way home will be less scary, especially with a loaded trailer...)
Swap out the twist shifter for a Shimano trigger one for more precise changes, the cheap twist grip changer is not doing its job correctly I am scared that I am going to break the chain one of these days.
And after lots of humming and ha-ing I have decided to go with AA battery powered lights and carrying a second set of rechargeable AA cells.

Then the bike will be "finished". :cool: Is a kit pedelec ever finished?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm thinking about this one:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-parts/620-new-right-off-bottle-battery-case-for-18650-parts.html

I have a bottle battery that looks identical except it isn't the sideways insert-able type. My worry is it the same length I guess. I should just be able to extract the packet of Samsung cells and the BMS and insert it in the empty shell if they are the same diameter and length

and this controller

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/668-36v-s06s-sine-wave-integrated-controller-for-new-bottle-case-ebike-kit.html

And there is a no LCD option when buying it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
An update because my project just got a little more complicated...

I am now the proud (?) owner of this bike

A friend gave it to me (sound familiar? :rolleyes: ) He hasn't told me the story yet but I am pretty sure that it is "road kill", probably fell of someone's trailer or rear rack (you would notice if it fell off the roof :eek:) and is bearing the scars:

- bent rear wheel
- bent handlebars with lots of scrapes
- broken shifters and brakes
- piece ripped of the rear of the saddle

The frame is the large one so the right size for me, it is aluminium "made in Germany" and really nice quality welds and all. It is also a 28" trekking frame which is what I was dreaming of. Do I care that it is a "ladies frame? Nope of course I don't, I am no longer a spotty teen.

I am thinking of rebuilding my current motor into a nice Mavic 28" rim and moving the kit over to this bike.

QUESTION 1: where do I mount the bottle battery? It won't fit on the rivnuts between the frame bars. I thought about rivnuts on the top bar and mounting it there. Or, on the top of the pannier rack which I will move over from my current bike. Both positions are quite high but one is more central.

QUESTION 2: where can I buy a Dual Hall Sensor 12 Signals Easy Assembling PAS as sold by BMS. If I buy from them the postage is 6 times the cost of the PAS...

The controller will go in a tool bottle epoxy glued into a bottle holder on the rivnuts so my cable anguish will be cured :D

As this is my unique form of transport I have a shopping list of high end equipment with a grand total (including kit mounted to current bike) of just
over 1000 €. I hope to sell my current bike as I have no need for two for a few bob to soften the blow...:confused:

Tony

D

Deleted member 4366

What about enclosing that space between the two frame tubes to house the battery snd contoller. It'll then be thiefproof and waterproof.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have thought about a fibreglass/epoxy box. Maybe I will go there eventually but for the moment I need to be mobile every day. A winter project why not. Along with a nice stealth matt black paint job on the frame which is way to pretty at the moment, a real thief magnet.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
UPDATE:

Frame stripped to the bone except... left hand crank. Why Oh Why must I suffer so...:eek: Of course the crankset side came of without any fuss but the left hand crank, well the thread stripped out... No dust cap on that side, on the right hand side the dust cap was still on and there was plenty of grease in there. Back to blocks of wood and big hammers :confused:

AND:

While reading the makers litterature on the bottom another downer, it is a medium sized frame.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

Loads of bad karma when it comes to left hand cranks and frame sizes on free bikes my mates donate to me o_O

This frame is now the basis of the HOPRIDER 300F. What has changed since 2012?

I have a Suntour adjustable suspension fork
Acera and not Altus gears (24 speed instead of 21)
Tektro brakes
A decent headset and stem with spacers etc.

I don't have a no-name hub dynamo, cheap plastic mudguards a rack and lights.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
DAILY UPDATE :D

I measured the frame against my other bike and it is much larger than my current "medium" mens frame, about 7-9 cm longer and the same height except once on the 28" wheels it will be over 2" higher.

Now to decide how to proceed... :confused: I think this is going the direction of two pedelecs rather than migrating my current kit over to the larger frame. That will be decided when the frame and fork have been repainted and re-assembled. If it comes out well I will put almost all new parts onto the frame. I found a "new" Shimano crank (5€) at the local Intersport where it had come off a bike in for repair.

My current bike will be getting the derailleurs and crankset + the rear V-brake from the Riverside, a move up the range in composants that is for sure! A new BB UN-55 bottom bracket will replace the current one. I have bought all-in-one Shimano selecters and brake levers to replace the destroyed ones. A new Shimano front V-brake will replace the Magura HS11 which will be moved to the new frame (confusing isn't it :p) I have changed my opinion on V-brakes after riding a bike with decent ones mounted.

This is this weeks project because the current derailleur is no longer doing its job and the chain is destroyed after 800 km. Automatic gear changes in corners and on bumps are not much fun :eek:

The Riverside 3 will get either a 250W mid-motor at 18 Amps or a 500W Q128H with a nice 250W sticker on it. :cool:

And todays question:

Does anyone have a source for dimension drawings for this battery?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Hot-selling-Samsung-48v-lithium-ion-battery-for-electric-bike-48v-11-6ah-new-bottle-battery/32358991471.html#

It looks like it might fit in the frame.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
UPDATE:

I have started painting the frame and bits and bobs today. I hope to put a GSM mid drive on this one. I think it is probably a cheaper option than doing all the modifications to migrate the Mxus over from my current bike.

In an ideal world I would like to buy the version without a controller and overvolt to 48 volts with an 18-20 Amp external controller... But I am more or less decided to become a two bike household with one for around town and another (this one) for longer trips so they would share the battery(ies).

It is going to be a very long build because I want to put quality components on it and unless a miracle happens and I find another well paid job my budget is very tight as I am about to build a new dinghy too...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
£124 more than the GSM. You can buy a serious chunk of battery for £124...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A blank canvas...

riverside_black.jpg

Stealth matt black paint on. Wheels and saddle are from my parts bin and just there so I can try the size.

Advertisers