KTM eStreet P: Strong resistance when power assist is off

Shucker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2015
Hi all,

This is my first ebike and I find that it takes a lot of effort to ride without any power assist. If you shut it off in the middle of a ride, it slows down VERY quickly and takes a lot of work to keep the bike going.

The rear wheel doesn't spin freely on its own (unlike my wife's new ebike) and I'm not sure if this is common or something I should investigate further. It's a heavy bike with the battery and motor, etc. but this is more than a weight issue. (note: same issue with our without rear fender on - no friction there).

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are disagreements about this issue, I reckon there is some resistance with some geared hub motors for instance my front big bear bpm feels the same even in low gear but my oxydrive cst form the same stable of Bafang rides much better unpowered however any incline does make them quite hard work to ride but now being used to powered riding you forget how a unpowered bike really is. Not so long ago I rode my bbs01 for 20mles unpowered but once I became accustomed to riding unpowered again it was fine my recent GSM ride was even easier and 14/15mph felt really good unpowered. Check that breaks aren't binding also check to see that hub axle inner nuts aren't to tight and the bearings are free spinning.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yours uses the Panasonic rear hub motor Shucker, which is a Direct Drive motor. That means it's always engaged and with the power shut off it acts as a generator, causing some drag. It's inevitable with that type of motor, but they have other benefits, for example in smooth operation and quietness compared with internally geared hub motors.

Shucker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2015
Yours uses the Panasonic rear hub motor Shucker, which is a Direct Drive motor. That means it's always engaged and with the power shut off it acts as a generator, causing some drag. It's inevitable with that type of motor, but they have other benefits, for example in smooth operation and quietness compared with internally geared hub motors.
Okay, thanks. That's exactly what it felt like but as my wife's behaved differently (also rear hub motor) I wasn't sure if there was a problem. Combined with a high gear, it's a workout for sure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Okay, thanks. That's exactly what it felt like but as my wife's behaved differently (also rear hub motor) I wasn't sure if there was a problem. Combined with a high gear, it's a workout for sure.
Your wife's rear motor is probably an internally geared one, They commonly have an internal freewheel that disconnects the motor drive and comes into operation as soon as the bike speed exceeds the motor drive speed, so no motor drag.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I find the same issue with my bike and most all ebikes I ride. The main reason is that I tend to be one or two gears higher than normal when under power. When the power goes away at 15mph, I down shift two gears to bring the pedal cadence up to make the "field of mud" effect less intense.

Other ways to reduce this effect is to keep your tyres close to maximum recommended pressure. Check that the front and rear brakes are not rubbing. If they are not, then there is another issue with the rear wheel and your local dealer needs to look at it. Modern hub motors are brushless and should spin freely.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Sorry but crossed posts. Did not realize it was a direct drive. Still everything else I stand by.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry but crossed posts. Did not realize it was a direct drive. Still everything else I stand by.
Agreed, e-bikes can get us so used to much easier riding and higher gears, it seems abnormally tough going when the power is off.

When I first took up an e-bike it spoilt my normal bike fitness through getting used to working less.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
By memory and I could well be wrong, but I think that the regen function can be set even when the assist is turned off. I'm sure that it has three different settings available for it. It could be worth looking at that just in case.

Emo is also correct about the gears. I long ago stated that at least in my case, the assist given always gives a two gear advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emo Rider

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Hi all,

This is my first ebike and I find that it takes a lot of effort to ride without any power assist. If you shut it off in the middle of a ride, it slows down VERY quickly and takes a lot of work to keep the bike going.

The rear wheel doesn't spin freely on its own (unlike my wife's new ebike) and I'm not sure if this is common or something I should investigate further. It's a heavy bike with the battery and motor, etc. but this is more than a weight issue. (note: same issue with our without rear fender on - no friction there).

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
I have the EStyleP which has the same hub, gears, etc. When I first got the bike about 18 months ago I my experience was the same as yours. I had it checked out and was assured that what I was experiencing was normal for the Panasonic direct drive hub. I've since got used to it and when I do ride without assistance, which isn't often, I find that dropping a couple of gears makes life easier. Eddie's point about the regeneration mode is pertinent so it pays to ensure that the display shows "No assistance" and not regen.

I haven't been put off the bike and have in fact ordered an EStreetP when they next become available - you must have got off your mark to get yours as they seem to be like hen's teeth!

Hope this helps.

Jim

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Shucker, and jdallan. How quiet do you find the motor when in use?
In general, for example on the level or on slight inclines, it's pretty quiet. On steeper hills it becomes more noticeable although quite acceptable. The electrical components of the bike are fairly discreet, although by no means "stealthy", however when under load and passing walkers on a path it has occasionally attracted the comment that "that's an electrc bike". Ideally I'd prefer it if the motor was completely silent however I'm happy with it as it is.
I have to say that having watched (and listened to) some videos of trips made by other members, the Panasonic motor is much quieter.

Jim

Reactions: EddiePJ

Advertisers