Have I missed anything?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
We have all over estimated your need to have power up hills,most of the bikes you are happy with have the SWX type motors,if that will do your job then almost any e-bike will be ok.
You mentioned the Kudos Cobra,one of my dealers has the Vita Uno 26 on special offer at the moment at £695.00 (London Electric Bike Company,Hampton Wick),it is an upgraded Cobra and fantastic value whilst stocks last.
Similarly the Woosh Petite or Kudos Tempo have the SWX motor fed through 26" wheels the torque reaction will be very strong.
KudosDave
I have spoken to Tom at LEBC Dave and he has the Vita throttle set at walk assist, and isn't sure whether it will open up to 25km. Looking at the Cobra, I'm pretty sure it does have full throttle.
LEBC have put all rounder tyres onto the Vita and I'm ready to buy this bike but could you confirm it will go onto full throttle and that you will be able to instruct us as to how to do this once we have the bike please? Thanks Dave, I'd appreciate it if you'd get back as soon as you see this post.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the way the throttle works is programmed into the controller. You can't change this.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Those new to ebikes often want a full speed throttle, but I wouldn't worry about it.

A throttle can be handy for standing the bike up to get going, which this throttle is designed to do.

On a legal powered bike, a throttle really isn't of much use apart from that.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Those new to ebikes often want a full speed throttle, but I wouldn't worry about it.

A throttle can be handy for standing the bike up to get going, which this throttle is designed to do.

On a legal powered bike, a throttle really isn't of much use apart from that.
It's handy surely if you want a rest from pedalling isn't it?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
the way the throttle works is programmed into the controller. You can't change this.
On one controller that I have seen, a press of a few buttons in the right sequence changed the bike from walk assist to full throttle!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's handy surely if you want a rest from pedalling isn't it?
In theory it is, but the motor may not do a lot more on its own than trundle you along on level ground or a slight incline.

To activate the motor on a speed sensor bike, all you need to do is turn the pedals gently.

Turning the pedals is a more natural way to ride a bike, not least because you are less likely to get muscle stiffness/cramps.

Most ordinary bike riders turn the pedals over on descents, particularly if they are long and shallow.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
In theory it is, but the motor may not do a lot more on its own than trundle you along on level ground or a slight incline.

To activate the motor on a speed sensor bike, all you need to do is turn the pedals gently.

Turning the pedals is a more natural way to ride a bike, not least because you are less likely to get muscle stiffness/cramps.

Most ordinary bike riders turn the pedals over on descents, particularly if they are long and shallow.
I must admit, the Juicy was set to walk/start assist when I tested it and I used it to stand up on a steep hill, and when I set off at a lights but other than that I used the pedals which seemed to get me up the hill easily.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I have a throttle on my Freego Eagle and the only time I use it is to move away from a standing start. I have never felt the need to travel any distance with it.

Gray

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I must admit, the Juicy was set to walk/start assist when I tested it and I used it to stand up on a steep hill, and when I set off at a lights but other than that I used the pedals which seemed to get me up the hill easily.
Well done for grasping the point.

I'm not being patronising, many new ebikers can't grasp it.

However, my remarks are in the 'what you will probably find' category.

We are all different, and your use of the bike will develop over the months and years.

What you regard as a critical feature now, you may not later.

Equally, there may be something on the bike you want in a year or two which you don't know you want now.

That's one of the frustrations of buying an ebike.

But I wouldn't reject an otherwise suitable bike just for the absence of a full speed throttle.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Well done for grasping the point.

I'm not being patronising, many new ebikers can't grasp it.

However, my remarks are in the 'what you will probably find' category.

We are all different, and your use of the bike will develop over the months and years.

What you regard as a critical feature now, you may not later.

Equally, there may be something on the bike you want in a year or two which you don't know you want now.

That's one of the frustrations of buying an ebike.

But I wouldn't reject an otherwise suitable bike just for the absence of a full speed throttle.
I take your point - a bit like computers isn't it?
We have decided to buy having mulled things over. That test ride at Juicy really opened my eyes actually.
I have spoken to someone at Kudos (not Dave), and he confirms that the Vita is set to start assist and can't be changed.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
On one controller that I have seen, a press of a few buttons in the right sequence changed the bike from walk assist to full throttle!
You are right Trex with regard to the Vita, I have confirmed it with a call to Kudos.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I take your point - a bit like computers isn't it?
We have decided to buy having mulled things over. That test ride at Juicy really opened my eyes actually.
I have spoken to someone at Kudos (not Dave), and he confirms that the Vita is set to start assist and can't be changed.
Yes, computers is a good analogy, although I'm a lot less picky about those than I am about bicycles.

Which bike(s) are you having?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Yes, computers is a good analogy, although I'm a lot less picky about those than I am about bicycles.

Which bike(s) are you having?
Well we have just bought the Vita Uno 26 for hubby here:
http://londonelectricbike.com/electric-bike/vita-uno-26/ which is actually a tarted up Kudos Cobra at a really silly price!! And I am about to give Juicy a call to buy a Juicy Classic for me here: https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/classic-click-dutch-style-electric-bicycle with an upgraded battery (12ah), in a wonderful new metallic colour called teal, which isn't on their website yet.
It's an exciting day for us and I am incredibly grateful to everyone on the forum who has taken the time and trouble to help!;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you've gone that far to find out about e-bikes. Have you tried a crank drive bike yet? if you haven't, perhaps you should before hitting that buy button. The bikes you are buying are fairly common garden.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
you've gone that far to find out about e-bikes. Have you tried a crank drive bike yet? if you haven't, perhaps you should before hitting that buy button. The bikes you are buying are fairly common garden.
Oh Trex, don't be naughty and rain on my parade! :(o_O

With having a ceiling of £1000, any crank drive that we try out would be common garden as well. Our initial thoughts about the crank drive system were that it would take us up the hills better, but having tested a hub drive and noted how powerful they are (and yes, maybe how much I can put into the pedalling as well), that requirement has changed. There are pros and cons to all of the different drives but I've researched the two bikes and we are happy with those we have decided on.

Reactions: trex

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Received the Vita Uno today, it's a real good looking bike. Took just 15mins to set up. Hubby (and me) have only had chance to ride up and down our lane, which is steep, and it handled it well. Hubby feels comfortable on it and is so far very pleased.
I have had an email to tell me that my Juicy Classic is due tomorrow. I am doing my voluntary work in court tomorrow (hanging and quartering!) but hubby will set it up for when I get home, so something to look forward to. :) I am the first customer in the UK to own a teal Classic apparently!!:cool:

Reactions: Eagleowl

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Oh Trex, don't be naughty and rain on my parade! :(o_O

With having a ceiling of £1000, any crank drive that we try out would be common garden as well. Our initial thoughts about the crank drive system were that it would take us up the hills better, but having tested a hub drive and noted how powerful they are (and yes, maybe how much I can put into the pedalling as well), that requirement has changed. There are pros and cons to all of the different drives but I've researched the two bikes and we are happy with those we have decided on.
Your bike is on its way to you, having just left us with a nice TNT man.
:)

Reactions: Lancslass

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
Have fun getting to know your new bikes! My Woosh Santana CD came today - easy to set up, better not be raining tomorrow - can't wait to give it a proper run! Exciting isn't it!!!

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Your bike is on its way to you, having just left us with a nice TNT man.
:)
Thanks Bob.
Hope the nice man doesn't ring our doorbell at 0815am, like the guy who delivered the Vita this morning. Embarrassing answering the door in your jim jams! :eek:

Reactions: JuicyBike

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Have fun getting to know your new bikes! My Woosh Santana CD came today - easy to set up, better not be raining tomorrow - can't wait to give it a proper run! Exciting isn't it!!!
Good luck with the Santana. Not the best time of year to be getting a new bike but it's still pretty exciting.