Electric Bike Kits Posted in the right place

Dill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 22, 2015
  1. Hi everyone

Im looking to buy a bike and an electric motor kit but Im not sure which one to buy. Im 6ft 2 and 14stone and have been looking at so many I cant make my mind up. The bike is easy I will just get a well known hybrid make and add the kit. But the kit seems to be the cheapest on ebay but many dont have the make of them which worries me. I think i have narrowed it down to 500w brush less rear motor with 36 volts with speeds up to 30mph (Off road) 15mph on road. It looks like if you use a 1000w motor you drain the battery faster so dont get the distance like the 500w and 250w seems rather low power. I think the hub motor would be best and rear power seems to make sense.

My journey would be 6 miles a day.

Are the Golden motors or E bike or BMC ? Most are from China but some of them must be ok ?

My max budget is £1000 for electric motor kit and bike. What I dont want is a cheap bike or kit that does not last.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Dylan

#1Dill, 27 minutes ago
    Edit Report

2. JohnCadePedelecer
    Look at some of the threads here about conversions, and also the crank drives as well as hub. You can buy them from trade members here and will get proper after sale service if there are problems. Not always the case with eBay sellers. The 250W is a nominal figure and most motors will peak at much more and some at over three times that. Which is plenty of power for most people and will get up almost any hill with a bit of pedalling. Particularly if your journey is only 6 miles a day.

The off road stuff which eBay sellers sometimes mislead buyers with is nonsense. All those 500W and 1000W kits are illegal on or off road unless you have a private estate.

3. Thanks John
    I thought the crank drives were noisy ? Im trying to be getting about it stealth mode so want to keep the noise down as much as possible. Would a 250w get a speed of up to 30mph ? 15mph seems rather slow and I assume that the top speed they suggest is always lower ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@Dill
you seem to have romantic ideas about direct drive kits. Yes, they are very stealthy, can go very fast and are very durable but at the detriment of a lot of other aspects. They are heavy, have much less torque and drag a bit making hill climbing and pedalling without power very unpleasant. DD systems shine when you build a 2KW + 72V 100A systems. 1000W DD or less are pants.
If you compare a 1000W DD motor against a geared motor like the 8-Fun SWX02, the latter is half the size, half the weight, has twice the torque and no drag.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

You can't really generalise about DD motors, they are not all hugely heavier than geared hub motors, they don't all have low torque and drag.
The Ansmann RM7.0 for example weighs 4Kg which is no more than the average crank drive motor, the Heinzmann Direct Power front motor is only 500gm heavier and the rear weighs 4.7Kg. The Heinzmann kits are becoming popular with those who want a totally silent motor with no wearing parts that is going to last.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
why don't you release the characteristics of the Heinzmann kits to the forum?
The point I try to make is, by using a 5:1 gearbox, you can spin the motor 5 times faster than the wheel and gain 5 times more torque than using the same motor as direct drive. The fact that the gearbox solves also the drag problem is a bonus. I test rode a very nice 1000W DD kit with 48V 40A 12 FET controller not so long ago. You can hit 30mph with it quite easily on flat roads but it's not good on steep hills or when the battery is flat.

Last edited:

Dill

Nov 22, 2015
Reactions: Cyclezee

Dill

Nov 22, 2015
@Dill
you seem to have romantic ideas about direct drive kits. Yes, they are very stealthy, can go very fast and are very durable but at the detriment of a lot of other aspects. They are heavy, have much less torque and drag a bit making hill climbing and pedalling without power very unpleasant. DD systems shine when you build a 2KW + 72V 100A systems. 1000W DD or less are pants.
If you compare a 1000W DD motor against a geared motor like the 8-Fun SWX02, the latter is half the size, half the weight, has twice the torque and no drag.
2kw ? that seems to be a high amount of watts and what would the cost of this setup be do you know ? thanks

Dill

Nov 22, 2015
why don't you release the characteristics of the Heinzmann kits to the forum?
The point I try to make is, by using a 5:1 gearbox, you can spin the motor 5 times faster than the wheel and gain 5 times more torque than using the same motor as direct drive. The fact that the gearbox solves also the drag problem is a bonus. I test rode a very nice 1000W DD kit with 48V 40A 12 FET controller not so long ago. You can hit 30mph with it quite easily on flat roads but it's not good on steep hills or when the battery is flat.
If i have to buy all the parts seperate then I think i would struggle to find the parts that all matched ect or are there built systems or kits that are out there ?

C

Cyclezee

Thanks this does look good ... is it a good bike as in frame and parts ect ? And what would be the top speed on this ? No hills around here so only flat roads ect
Hi Dylan,

The bike itself is good quality MTB from BMC a Swiss manufacturer and has good quality components.
Assisted speed with the eZee kit is restricted to 15.5 mph but it goes to 17mph so it is within the 10% margin that is allowed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If i have to buy all the parts seperate then I think i would struggle to find the parts that all matched ect or are there built systems or kits that are out there ?
I haven't built DD bikes myself so don't feel qualified to advise you where to get your kit. I have however seen a greyp at woosh in Southend, in for some repair. I wouldn't want to buy such a bike but it seems competent enough to make a pretty good impression on me, performance-wise. BTW, Woosh don't do DD kits.

http://www.greyp.com

Last edited:

Dill

Nov 22, 2015
I haven't built DD bikes myself so don't feel qualified to advise you where to get your kit. I have however seen a greyp at woosh in Southend, in for some repair. I wouldn't want to buy such a bike but it seems competent enough to make a pretty good impression on me, performance-wise. BTW, Woosh don't do DD kits.

http://www.greyp.com
Not sure i like the look of this one ..its rather loud !!!

Dill

Nov 22, 2015
Hi Dylan,

The bike itself is good quality MTB from BMC a Swiss manufacturer and has good quality components.
Assisted speed with the eZee kit is restricted to 15.5 mph but it goes to 17mph so it is within the 10% margin that is allowed.
I think I need the option to change the max speed as i dont want to pay out and find i wish i got a different kit or bike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Not sure i like the look of this one ..its rather loud !!!
They can paint the bike to your colours. This one isn't so loud.

There are a lot of impressive features about this bike: dual front hydraulic brakes, road legal mode, pedal assist mode and of course power mode.
Do you know you can buy the frame from China for $500 if you fancy building one yourself?

Reactions: Dill