Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 10 2015 Review

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
I have two more Impulse 2 motor failures to report.

My Agattu (~350 miles) has developed a loud and disturbing clank when starting off or when powering up something steep, a hump back bridge caused the fault today. Sounds and feels like the crank is about to break.

My partner's Tasmin (~100 miles) has developed the back pedal brake error.

Took both bikes into Blazing Saddles at Hebden Bridge, which is a 50 cycles agent, and they have said both need new motors. No motors available so on a waiting list. The bikes are still usable fortunately.

Such a shame as I really do love the bike, apart from the motor issue it is a comfortable, fun ride.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Up at a ridiculous hour because I've had two instances of having to clean sick off the carpet (my 4 year old seems to have a vomiting bug).

Well, I took my bike in for a service on the weekend and mentioned the motor issue. The guy at 50Cycles said he had read about the motor fault (read about it on this forum, in fact).

Regarding the plastic cog with missing teeth that someone posted - he spent some time explaining to me why the cog was made out of a plastic material as opposed to metal. Apparently it is due to temperature in the motor, and not to cut costs - he advised that the torque pushed through that particular cog was so low that the choice of material shouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm not technical enough with motors to know whether this is valid or not, but he is a genuine guy and I have no reason not to believe him.

He also mentioned return rates - he mentioned he's seen a low number of returns on the Impulse 2, and certainly not a high enough number to put it down to a manufacturing or design defect.

I suggested he respond on here, but it don't think that's going to happen.

My motor is still giving that clicking, chain-slippy sound but is otherwise still running ok. I'm going to carry on with it for now. I would say that 50Cycles have been good to me, and I do trust that if/when I does finally go there won't be any problems having a replacement fitted.

Reseg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2015
www.youtube.com
Well, I took my bike in for a service on the weekend and mentioned the motor issue. The guy at 50Cycles said he had read about the motor fault (read about it on this forum, in fact).

Regarding the plastic cog with missing teeth that someone posted - he spent some time explaining to me why the cog was made out of a plastic material as opposed to metal. Apparently it is due to temperature in the motor, and not to cut costs - he advised that the torque pushed through that particular cog was so low that the choice of material shouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm not technical enough with motors to know whether this is valid or not, but he is a genuine guy and I have no reason not to believe him.
I'm definitely not here to argue, or bash the company, but the fact that the plastic gear is stripping within a couple thousand miles would be a pretty significant data point to indicate otherwise.

He also mentioned return rates - he mentioned he's seen a low number of returns on the Impulse 2, and certainly not a high enough number to put it down to a manufacturing or design defect.
I don't doubt this one bit, however, in my research of the industry and buyers, you have a lot of purchases made by much older folks who put a very light work load on the bike, in regards to both intensity and volume of use (couple hundred miles a year @ most). These bikes would be great for that. My 10,000 miles of bike commuting per year at max assist and max speed is clearly way outside the dependability use range of this bike, given I'm on the 3rd motor and it has the backpedal/brake error now and I've not even hit 4k miles between all 3 motors combined.

I still really appreciate the bike, though it's not met my needs or expectations. I know my expectations are high, but I don't feel unreasonable for it to last at least a year, maybe two, before burning up a motor. I bought an ST2 a few months ago and it's already at almost 2,500 miles. The only thing I've done is kept the chain lubed, and cleaned the bike one time. I've considered doing a full review comparison, as I have all the data collected. I did a very silly hill climb comparison video, sorry for the corny music and graphics, it was my first video and I was having fun with it and let my 12 yr old daughter pick out the music and animations:

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
So you are comparing a crank driven bike, with a hub-driven one (which looks like a heavy duty "moped", similar to a Big Bear, but costing four times the price)?

Maybe the Kalkhoff bike you first bought was just not fit for your purpose, as your new bike is very different...

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Just a quick update on my Pro Connect 9 - I'm up to 1,400 miles and thus far, no motor change required. The clacking has not worsened (it was only very minor to begin with) so in that respect, the recent software update does appear to have helped.

The main difference with the latest software is that when going over a significant bump, the motor cuts out for a moment. Presumably this is a precaution, to protect the components from sudden stresses.

Reseg

Dec 25, 2015
www.youtube.com
So you are comparing a crank driven bike, with a hub-driven one (which looks like a heavy duty "moped", similar to a Big Bear)?

Maybe the bike you first bought was just not fit for your purpose...
I've always read hub motors are at a major disadvantage on steep hills like this (8%+ grade @ start, up to 17% grade), and we all know weight is a big disadvantage on hills and the Stromer is heavier, and I'm a big guy. So, given that, and the fact that this mid-drive is rated at 70Nm, and the Stromer @ 35Nm, many would think the Stromer would get creamed, I know I thought so. This isn't conclusive, but a fun comparison at a high wattage, and it does tell part of the story.

These 2 bikes are considered by many who are looking for long range, dependability, and good speed. People shy away from the Stromer due to the hub motor's rumored efficiency (vs. mid-drive), performance on climbs, as well as price. That's why I opted for the other, but since, I've learned differently. I always prefer to gravitate towards information backed by testing and data, but unfortunately, at least the English sites, people just post manufacturer specs and build their theories from that. Most reviews are just people pointing at parts on the bike and saying what they are, then pedaling around a little bit with the camera on and saying how comfortable it is.

As an actual "cyclist", I can say the "moped" feels much more like a bike in things like the natural responsiveness of the assist, the positioning and angles of the cranks & pedals, the noise it makes, handling-due to weight distribution, and the little random things (Impulse 2 motor cuts out on bumps, surges at stoplights, has a very hard motor cutoff at top speed, ect). But it's cheaper, by a good amount (MSRP). Again, I'm not here to bash, they're both good bikes, depending on the need, but the limitations, issues, and performance of the bikes needs to be clear in order to help those looking to spend their money. No reason for bandwagons, arguments, fanbois, and cherry picking details to fit their ignorant bias, that helps nobody.

The stromer has had multiple battery errors, as the only problem so far. It's usually when I'm turning it on to ride and I just pull the battery for a sec and put it back to clear. One time that didn't work and I rode it with the system off for a few feet and then it was fine. Also, once it had an error during the charge and I didn't know, which left it partially charged for my long commute, which was very annoying.

But the Focus back wheel is really bad. Like the other person mentioned, mine cracked at the eyelets where the spokes attach. I didn't bother using the warranty, I threw it away and bought a better cyclocross wheel.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A trekking bike should be fit for long distance commuting. After all it is designed in theory to be laden with panniers and the world is the limit, or at the very least a pan European road trip.

We hardly ever hear of problems with Bafang mid drives and almost never of problems with the internal gears when used at normal voltage and amperage settings. There were reports of insufficient grease in the early motors so often they were correctly re-greased before being mounted.

The Stromer has the battery in the frame not behind the seat tube and bigger tyres. I don't think it looks like a moped myself. It is a trekking bike made in Switzerland and having been on Swiss roads I can see why they made it beefy...

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
Update on my 'clanking' issue. The motor on my Agattu was changed for a new one and the clanking did not go away, second new motor tried still clanking. Focus has now switched to the hub gears and the rear wheel may have to be sent away to Shimano for assessment and repair. Turn around time quoted as 2 weeks fingers crossed this will sort the problem.

A new motor does seem to have corrected the back pedal issue on the Tasman though.

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I tried the Pro Connect 9 the other week - they didn't have the 10 unfortunately - and was impressed by the gear change cut out and the increased power over my Impulse 1.

I thought it was let down by the low end forks though and I didn't like the colour. It is a lot less than the ten speed now so savings have to be made somewhere. I don't like the idea of the ten speed really. The chain is narrower than the nine and with the motor there is a lot going through it... and is there really a need for the extra gear? Perhaps the Deore is the best you can get in 9 speed now so they had to have a ten speed to improve on that?

I am thinking of getting one though. But with the price difference to the PC 9 it would make sense to buy that and upgrade the forks it it wasn't for the colour.
Ii

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I tried the Pro Connect 9 the other week - they didn't have the 10 unfortunately - and was impressed by the gear change cut out and the increased power over my Impulse 1.

I thought it was let down by the low end forks though and I didn't like the colour. It is a lot less than the ten speed now so savings have to be made somewhere. I don't like the idea of the ten speed really. The chain is narrower than the nine and with the motor there is a lot going through it... and is there really a need for the extra gear? Perhaps the Deore is the best you can get in 9 speed now so they had to have a ten speed to improve on that?

I am thinking of getting one though. But with the price difference to the PC 9 it would make sense to buy that and upgrade the forks it it wasn't for the colour.
I have just purchased a pro connect 9. It now has alivio 9 speed . Mine is greyish black a somber and classy colour I think, but that is a matter of personal taste. Bike is heavier than my Dawes galaxy but manageable to lift If you have to. Very well finished ,solid and well thought out ergonomically. I enjoyed my first ride v much and soon got used to how it works. It sails along and goes up steep Yorkshire hills with out problem. The derailleur was smooth and accurate. You don't need as many gears on a pedelec as you can have a choice of power assist. The motor issues have apparently been addressed in the 2016 model and my local bike shop tells me that in his opinion the construction and design is to a high standard and should give no cause for concern.
My first impressions are very favourable indeed, it is just what I wanted- a bike that feels like a cycle but takes the strain out of riding hills and into wind. Feels impressive, very well put together and is such fun to ride!! Lights are great and pannier carrier rigid.Obviously as it is heavier with thicker tyres does not feel like quite like my lightweight slightly springy Dawes Galaxy but at 60+ I can no longer pull myself along like I used !to so this is just right. Sailing along I feel like a young man again...! Great fun I am delighted with it. Hope it will last well.

Reactions: lowranger

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
I've done 5000 miles on mine now. I still love the way the bike rides. The third motor has covered about 1300 miles and after some initial issues with clicking hasn't made any untoward noises yet. It does seem generally noisier than the previous motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I'm now up to more than 2100 miles on my first motor. Still going ok, thankfully.

I'm reasonably happy with the bike, otherwise. I do think it could have had some slightly better components for the price (eg. brakes).

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Sadoldbugger

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
I'm now up to more than 2100 miles on my first motor. Still going ok, thankfully.

I'm reasonably happy with the bike, otherwise. I do think it could have had some slightly better components for the price (eg. brakes).
Mine h

mine has

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
Mine has shimano disc breaks 396 + alivio 9 speed. Both seem to do their job even if they are not the highest spec. Very pleased overall especially as battery now 15ah. I am now a great fan of the electric bike so pleased I bought it and enjoying the design which works well for me. Yes they are expensive but for me I like the total package and attention to detail.
Trevor M

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Very pleased overall especially as battery now 15ah.
Good to see that the 15Ah battery is now available on the Pro Connect 9. Previously (2015 models), the Pro Connect 9 had only a 11Ah battery, so an upgrade to the Pro Connect 10 was required to get a better battery, which has a 17Ah battery (which may be very "large" for most people).

Given that the price difference between models was a steep £700, it was quite a big gap between models, and some people just wanted a better battery, without the other enhancements of the Pro Connect 10 (10 speed, better light, lockable front suspension etc).

11Ah is probably a bit too small capacity, and 17Ah is massive (I have managed to do 100 miles in one charge quite easily), so 15Ah could be a sweet spot.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Very well finished ,solid and well thought out ergonomically.
Apart from the motor issues that spoiled the experience on my Pro Connect 10 (2015 model), the rest of the bike is indeed very well finished, and very solid.

However, it also means quite a heavy bike, as many components are heavy (such as the frame, or even the puncture-resistant Marathon tires).

I guess the weight on an electric bike matters less, and it's better to have something solid and reliable anyway.

Main positive points of my Pro Connect 10 bike:

• Very readable computer, with automatic backlight
  • Very bright front light
  • Quality drive train (derailleur)
  • Chain lasts a long time
  • Massive battery range (100 miles+)
  • Very seamless electric assistance (feels like cycling, not being on a moped)
  • Quality tires and tubes (don't deflate much)
  • Solid rear rack and mud guards

Main drawbacks were:

• Non-removable computer (can't be removed when bike is left somewhere, and if damaged, hard to replace). No cover provided either
  • Computer functions are very basic (just trip miles, total miles, current speed and battery indicator. No clock, average speed, motor settings etc.). Computer cannot be upgraded easily
  • Only three levels of assistance, and other settings like percentage of assistance not accessible to end-users
  • Hub dynamo creating some drag (front wheel not spinning freely). I believe Kalkhoff now powers the lights from the battery directly, which makes a lot more sense than converting electricity into motion, to convert it back into power!
  • No real maintenance instructions or tools provided
  • No seat suspension (can easily be fixed)
  • Marathon tires can be quite hard and slippery on the wet (watch those road markings!)
  • Battery is bulky (big box) and very visible given its position. It's quite obvious it's an electric bike (and therefore a target for thieves, or insults from the Lycra gangs). Batteries positioned on the rear rack are usually less visible (maybe at the expense of weight distribution)
  • Nothing implemented by the manufacturer to prevent theft (e.g. factory security marking and registration, lockable electronics, key or code etc)

Last edited:

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
I have had my pro 9 for over a month now. I am very pleased with it. It is a joy to ride and sail up Yorkshire hills with ease even with panniers full of shopping. I like the solid feel which is admittedly different from my galaxy tourer and heavier. When you have a motor to assist the extra weight is not of consequence for me. On less demanding terrain I use the Eco setting so I get the most exercise. I can get up hills with it on this setting to. The sport and power settings enable me to whizz along. I feel like a lad again!! I think the pro connect has been well thought out -the rack at the back is solid and takes panniers v well you can set seat and bars easily. I like the ergonomic grips on handlebars .It looks and feels nicely engineered in small things as well as the big. I have 70 miles on the clock and have recently recharged battery for the first time after initial charge. I haven't noticed any dynamo drag it must be quite a small thing. I think it is a great bike and I hope their won't be any issues with motor or battery! I am a now a great fan of electric bikes and will be watching future developments. I cycle more now so I will be better able to mount my galaxy and try those hills if I have the urge to go trad for a day!! Trevor M

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
On security. There is a frame reference number and I have been able to mount a kryptonite lock on the down tube which I always use so I don't have many worries there. The battery also has a reference number. Bike is on my house contents insurance policy to.
Trevor m

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
6400 miles and two years of ownership. This motor has now covered 2700 miles. The unreliability of the early motors does seem to have been sorted through a combination of mechanical and software improvements.
I still love this bike. I rode a 50 mile round trip to 50 cycles today to sort a broken clip. I really can't speak highly enough of 50 cycles. I'm disappointed that I have had the issues I've had with the bike but 50 cycles have done absolutely everything they could to rectify to the problems, often beyond my expectations providing some parts FOC.
I recommend them for excellent after sales service (before I get trolled for expressing this opinion: I do not work for them and and am not in any way connected to them other than as a customer. Please take this honest opinion in the spirit it is presented- an opinion based on two years of experience of the company and 6k miles with the bike).

Reactions: hopbackguy