problem with 705 classic.

lucy_boo

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Cheltenham
hi all. I recently brought an ex demo 705 classic. I use it for commuting to work on. on Saturday on the way to work it starting cutting out (battery was fully charged) and within a few turns of the pedals it came back on again. on my way home it cut out and would come back on, I turned it off then on again and all was fine.
the next day I started on my way to work all was fine but after 10 minutes it cut out again and wouldn't come back on.
today I have had a look at it and the capacity meter on the battery is showing as full but on the capacity meter on the bike its flashing red as empty. I turn it off then on agin and again its shows as full but then a minute later its flashes empty again. I checked the capacity on the batter and it showed empty them disconnected it tried again and it shows as full again.
could this be an issue with the battery or something else?
many thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 4366

If that battery is faulty, ebikes don't normally switch themselves on again. You have to do it. Is the panel on the handlebars staying on?

The common causes of cutting in and out are normally brakes and pedal sensor. Some people, especially ex-motorcyclists ride with a finger on the brakes, which is enough to operate the switch. Also, a brake can stay on a bit when the cable is stiff or after a fall. Disconnect them at the handlebar if you can to test if the problem goes away.

The pedal sensor magnet disc behind the chain-wheel needs to be close and parallel to the sensor next to it. It's easy to knock the disc away or out of line. Check the gap as you turn the crank.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

lucy_boo

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Cheltenham
If that battery is faulty, ebikes don't normally switch themselves on again. You have to do it. Is the panel on the handlebars staying on?

The common causes of cutting in and out are normally brakes and pedal sensor. Some people, especially ex-motorcyclists ride with a finger on the brakes, which is enough to operate the switch. Also, a brake can stay on a bit when the cable is stiff or after a fall. Disconnect them at the handlebar if you can to test if the problem goes away.

The pedal sensor magnet disc behind the chain-wheel needs to be close and parallel to the sensor next to it. It's easy to knock the disc away or out of line. Check the gap as you turn the crank.

Thanks for replying. No the panel is not staying on now. It turns off and I have to turn it back on but it only stays on for seconds and turns itself off again.
I will check the pedal sensor magnet.

lucy_boo

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Cheltenham
Thanks for replying. I will send claud an email. I have no idea who my wisper supplier is. I brought the bike from Edinburgh bicycle co-operatative through eBay. I have contact them but they are far from helpful just telling me it was sold with no warranty.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Lucy,

I expected as much, we stopped making this particular bike about three years ago, it must be one of their older demos.

We have all the parts in stock and will certainly be able to assist.

Please don't worry, it will be something quite simple, as Dave says it sounds like a brake connection or similar.

Regards

David

Reactions: Leccy

Advertisers