Tonaro power problem

alan riley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2013
H
I have a tonaro bighit bike, it is about 4 years old now, I recently had a new battery made for it.
It has now developed a problem with power. In the past this bike has had no problem with power, as we all know although heavy these bikes are torquey and powerful.

It now still runs but at a much lower power, it all switches on, the battery is good but the power seems to be at about 40% of what it should be. Can anyone of you experienced people tell me what this could be?

I do not know whether there are bushes on the motors, or it may just need a service. Please advise.

Also powerpedals does not seem to exist anymore, who were the main men.

Any advice would be appreciated even if it is a known repair centre for the brand.

I thank you in advance

Regards
Al

D

Deleted member 4366

There's lots of possibilities. It's difficult to home in on anything without measurements.

Does yours have a throttle?
Does it have three levels of PAS selectable by a three speed switch on the handlebars? If so, put it in first gear, lift the wheel off the ground and turn the pedals. When you select a different level, does the motor spin the crank and the wheel faster and slower, depending on the level?

alan riley

Feb 17, 2013
Hi
Thank you for your reply, yes it has pas three speed switch on the handlebars,I have done as you suggested. The bike has no increase in speed from speed 1 to speed 3 but increases on speed 3 (top speed). The motor is also making a noise I have not heard before, louder than normal. The speeds on all settings are much poorer than normal.

Regards
Al

D

Deleted member 4366

The bike has no increase in speed from speed 1 to speed 3 but increases on speed 3 (top speed).
I don't understand. Either it does or it doesn't. It can't be both.

As a starting point, I'd check the motor connections to the controller. The controller sits in that compartment at the bottom front of the battery.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=96537
There'll be a block connector (5 wires) for the hall sensors and three bullet/barrel ones for the phase wires. Pull the bullets apart, crimp down the barrels and push back together. Pull the block apart and put it back together a few times.

If that doesn't do anything, you need to check that the halls are switching properly, which is not easy. You stick your voltmeter probes up the back of the black and blue pins on that block connector on the controller side of the connector with everything switched on and powered up. Turn the crank backwards very slowly to make the motor turn a bit. If you can get the motor to turn slowly, you should see about 4v going on and off on your meter. repeat for the yellow and green wires in that connector. Your black probe goes to the black wire.

alan riley

Feb 17, 2013
Sorry meant to say no increase in speed from 1 to 2 and then an increase in speed from 2 to 3. The motor as I mentioned makes a different noise too.

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought that's what you meant. i was just checking. you need to do the above test, which will determine if the cause is electrical or mechanical.

Advertisers