Has anyone tried to register an S-class in the UK?

Mar 9, 2016
Yep 2 mirrors needed for L1e-b,don't think there's there is a set size for the lights,just dip and main beam .Must have indicators.In the photo of the petrol L1e -a the tester wanted piping on the mudguards.I think if you can get the mudguards close enough to the wheel no piping needed.
Looks great.. Had to put returned edges on car mudguards, edges well below minimum radius ( radii??)
I,d guess if gap is so small no fingers can get in.. With car they have a ball about 5 inch diameter. Anything it can get into has to have large radius.( Even suspension bolts, had to put black plastic covers on exposed nuts and bolts..) Normally stuff was fiddly rather than major.
All good fun.!

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Looks great.. Had to put returned edges on car mudguards, edges well below minimum radius ( radii??)
I,d guess if gap is so small no fingers can get in.. With car they have a ball about 5 inch diameter. Anything it can get into has to have large radius.( Even suspension bolts, had to put black plastic covers on exposed nuts and bolts..) Normally stuff was fiddly rather than major.
All good fun.!
I think they use the ball on the bikes.And roll a cylinder down the side.Your allowed to sit on the bike with feet on footrests/pedals,so you can stop the cylinder catching on pedals with your foot.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
There are so many dealers advertising Kalkhoff,Stromer,Bulls S-class e-bikes in the UK. All these dealers make a reference to registering these bikes.....register as a light moped,just register with the DVLA,easily registered,quotes appear on their websites.
There must be hundreds in use on UK roads,has anyone attempted to register one of these bikes.
I would love to import the KTM S-class bikes but need to assure my customers their is a mechanism for registration....I cannot find a way,maybe others have succeeded.
KudosDave
Hi Dave, yes we did. One of our dealers has registered a Riese and Müller HS model. It is now legally being ridden around Salisbury!

All the best, David

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Dave, yes we did. One of our dealers has registered a Riese and Müller HS model. It is now legally being ridden around Salisbury!

All the best, David
Good morning David.
I assume the Riese and Muller HS model is an S-class bike....that is outside the scope of an EAPC?
Your own website says these models have to be licensed?
What VOSA classification applies?
KudosDave

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Good morning David.
I assume the Riese and Muller HS model is an S-class bike....that is outside the scope of an EAPC?
Your own website says these models have to be licensed?
What VOSA classification applies?
KudosDave
Hi Dave, just off to dem a couple of bikes. I'll get back to you tomorrow with the detail. Yes it was an S class bike.

It does look a bit ungainly with a full rear number plate, but we have proven it can be done.

All the best, David

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Come on Amps, spill the beans. We've had other dealers on here who have claimed to register an S-class then gone all quiet when challenged.

kiva

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2017
London
I have registered a Riese and Müller HS model (= electric moped). Original Schwalbe Big Ben tyres were OK (No,you don’t need motorcycle tyres). Original lights were good, but I replaced the rearlight with led motorcycle stoplight/number plate light (6V Mk2 Lightboard fitted inside a pattern Lucas L564 rearlight from norbsa02.freeuk.com). No indicator lights needed. I needed hydraulic brakes with sensors (to control brake light). I managed to find a set of Tektro Dorado HD-E710 brakes from dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk. Levers are not sold separately so I had to buy whole set (very expensive). I also needed “Engine power restriction information plate” (MSVA inspection manual section 23). I printed it out myself.
Also: Bike must have a number plate holder.
Kickstand must automatically retract when bike is moved forward.
Right hand mirror is compulsory.

So it can be done but.. No one is willing to insure my bike. Don’t be fooled by companies who advertise that they can insure “almost anything” (like Bikesure).

REGISTRATION YES, INSURANCE NO.

More info:
MSVA inspection manual:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations

Last edited:

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I have registered a Riese and Müller HS model (= electric moped). Original Schwalbe Big Ben tyres were OK (No,you don’t need motorcycle tyres). Original lights were good, but I replaced the rearlight with led motorcycle stoplight/number plate light (6V Mk2 Lightboard fitted inside a pattern Lucas L564 rearlight from norbsa02.freeuk.com). No indicator lights needed. I needed hydraulic brakes with sensors (to control brake light). I managed to find a set of Tektro Dorado HD-E710 brakes from dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk. Levers are not sold separately so I had to buy the whole set (very expensive). I also needed “Engine power restriction information plate” (MSVA inspection manual section 23). I printed it out myself.

So it can be done but.. No one in UK is willing to insure my bike. Don’t be fooled by companies who advertise that they can insure “almost everything” (like Bikesure).

More info:
MSVA inspection manual:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual
Try Adrian flux insurance,it may cost you a arm and a leg though.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I have registered a Riese and Müller HS model (= electric moped). Original Schwalbe Big Ben tyres were OK (No,you don’t need motorcycle tyres). Original lights were good, but I replaced the rearlight with led motorcycle stoplight/number plate light (6V Mk2 Lightboard fitted inside a pattern Lucas L564 rearlight from norbsa02.freeuk.com). No indicator lights needed. I needed hydraulic brakes with sensors (to control brake light). I managed to find a set of Tektro Dorado HD-E710 brakes from dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk. Levers are not sold separately so I had to buy the whole set (very expensive). I also needed “Engine power restriction information plate” (MSVA inspection manual section 23). I printed it out myself.

So it can be done but.. No one in UK is willing to insure my bike. Don’t be fooled by companies who advertise that they can insure “almost everything” (like Bikesure).

More info:
MSVA inspection manual:

If you have any, pics would be nice. :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So it can be done but.. No one is willing to insure my bike. Don’t be fooled by companies who advertise that they can insure “almost anything” (like Bikesure).
Until the government approve the S class for use in the UK with a distinct classification, I think this is inevitable. Insurance companies won't want to step outside the list of approved vehicles. The fact that alterations have to be made for registration to be achieved makes matters worse, since it can then make the bike like a kit build in their eyes.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
No one is willing to insure my bike. Don’t be fooled by companies who advertise that they can insure “almost anything” (like Bikesure).

I hit that same brick wall many years ago whilst making enquiries to register and insure a farm related motorbike.

Because the bike didn't show up on computer records as a recognised vehicle, no one would insure it. Luckily I had had the sense to explore the ins and outs of it all before buying the bike, and didn't follow through with the purchase.

Last edited:

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I would try again,sometimes you get a telephone operator who does not know what they are talking about. I insure my classic motor caravan with Adrian flux (motor caravan is what it says on the v5,one company said you can't have a motor in a caravan. Had to explain what a motor caravan is motor home,camper call it what you want.)How did you get your registration for your bike. I thought DVLA required MSVA,MOT and insurance before they would issue a registration.I imported a 1966 lambretta and had to get a dating certificate, MOT and insurance for that before been issued a reg number,I used Carole Nash for that. last year I enquired about insuring a 50cc motorbicycle using a kit like this
with Adrian flux only problem was it would be £180 to insure on the frame number going down to about £80 the next year with a reg number.Maybe amps will be along and tell you who their customers get their bikes insured with.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So any insurance company in Germany, the Netherlands or Austria will know what your bike is and be able to offer you a quote. Things may get a little complicated for you next month... :rolleyes:
But probably still not valid in the UK, since their insurance is for use under their S class laws, not as mopeds. Since the S class isn't approved for use here, that cover could be considered to be not meeting the needs of our road traffic acts.

The simple fact is that an S class e-bike cannot be registered here in the UK.

Those few who have got that far have only done so by alterations to make the bike classifiable as a moped. Ergo, no S class e-bike has ever been registered in the UK, only mopeds.

And since such conversion mopeds are not in the approved motor vehicle lists, they cannot be insured.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I don't think any of these vehicles are on a approved list.But people still get insurance for them.

Call them what you want electric moped,s-pedelec,L1e-a or L1e- b someone will insure them.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think any of these vehicles are on a approved list.But people still get insurance for them.
Not the same thing, the insurances for some of the more outlandish is not the same as that for approved motor vehicles, it carries all sorts of restrictions. In addition special insurances are generally third party only and extremely expensive.

Plenty of people have made claims like yours, but all those who actually try registering and insuring find very different situations, as the above posts and many previous ones have shown.

Over the last ten years of the many attempts, I've only known of two who have eventually succeeded, both saying that in retrospect that it wasn't worth all the trouble.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Not the same thing, the insurances for some of the more outlandish is not the same as that for approved motor vehicles, it carries all sorts of restrictions. In addition special insurances are generally third party only and extremely expensive.

Plenty of people have made claims like yours, but all those who actually try registering and insuring find very different situations, as the above posts and many previous ones have shown.

Over the last ten years of the many attempts, I've only known of two who have eventually succeeded, both saying that in retrospect that it wasn't worth all the trouble.
As you say only 2 people have bothered to follow the law and get there bikes registered and insured.Why are Amps electric bikes saying further back on this thread,they are selling s-pedelecs and there customers are registering and insuring these bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why are Amps electric bikes saying further back on this thread,they are selling s-pedelecs and there customers are registering and insuring these bikes.
They are hardly going to say they are being used illegally, are they?

The fact remains, the S class is not legal in this country and trying to get one accepted as a legal moped ranges from very difficult to near impossible.

As a result there are large numbers of them on the road being used illegally, and that's been true for over a decade now. The biggest selling quality e-bike in 2006/7 was almost universally used as S class, though not claimed to be, since it power assisted to 22 mph when derestricted.

The authorities obviously know, but the "problem" is too small to be bothered with pursuing it.

Advertisers