Wisper 705 Torque. First impressions.

yaffa

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Kent
I decided to buy an e-bike because I was fed up with walking everywhere or struggling with my old bike up the hills where I live (not always steep but dragging long and quite a few of them!) I usually ended up pushing it panting and red faced.

I tried a few different bikes out with front hub drive rear hub drive and centre drive. I found myself drawn to a Wisper 705 Torque. I liked the way it rode both with assistance and without. I did want to pedal under my own power most of the time.

This review is in no way intended to be technical.Just my observations. I don't really have much to compare it to just my old 6 geared Bobbin Bramble and short test rides on other e-bikes.

I went down to E-Bikes direct in Sussex and tried a few bikes out and decided to buy the Wisper. It was duly delivered last Thursday. It was very well packaged and just needed the pedals put on & handle bars straightened.
Unfortunately I hurt my back last week so was reduced to staring at the bike for a few days. Finally got out on it today.
Rode it to work it was great. Liked the little bit of a boost as I stopped/ started following a bus along a busy road, just meant that I didn't keep the traffic waiting each time we moved on.

The disk brakes are brilliant, of course all bike disk brakes probably are but it's my first bike with them. We have a town built on many old river valleys so there are lots of steep but short hills so there's a lot of braking.
The gears feel smooth and easy to use with well placed levers.

When the assistance is required it is smooth. I did have a bit of a panic when the power cut out/display went off I turned it on and went to pull away it went off again twice, then I realised the battery had worked loose my fault I'm sure. Will be double checking it's well locked in tomorrow!
IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0535.JPG
Two small criticisms are there's no printed instructions with the bike(just one for the battery) and the kick stand barely holds the bike up it feels prone to falling if on anything but very level ground.

Edit: I've tightened the fixing for the stand and it seems better now.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi, Yaffa, I am delighted you are getting on well with your new Wisper.

If you would like printed instructions, please drop me a line with your address. They are available on our web pages under DOWNLOADS.

Regarding the stand, we haven't had any issues with the bikes falling over. I'll check one today when I get in. If you do experience difficulties please let me know.

All the best, David

yaffa

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Kent
Hi, Yaffa, I am delighted you are getting on well with your new Wisper.

If you would like printed instructions, please drop me a line with your address. They are available on our web pages under DOWNLOADS.

Regarding the stand, we haven't had any issues with the bikes falling over. I'll check one today when I get in. If you do experience difficulties please let me know.

All the best, David
Thanks David.

I have tightened the fixing holding the stand and it seems better now.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

yaffa

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Kent
Managed to fit a pair of Crosso panniers to the bike. Had to get the hooks bent out slightly to fit on the lower rail under the battery and cabled tied them at the back near the bottom of the pannier. Not quick release but I did want to leave them on while I'm at work or in shops.

Battery remained firmly in place today!

yaffa

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Kent
Bike with my trusty Brooks saddle and Crosso panniers fitted.
Still going well.
I got the bike wet last week (and today when the council man watered the flower basket on the lamp post which bike was chained to!)
Fitting the Brooks saddle was a bit of an engineering puzzle. Luckily for me my brilliant husband found a solution. It's a double rail saddle so had to have a spacer made for it.
I'm liking the Crosso panniers so far.Waterproof and easy to access.

Attachments

yaffa

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Kent
Looks like you're getting it comfortably set up for your needs Yaffa! Did you try the SE too or just the Torque?
I only tried the Torque.
I was tempted by an Orbea Optima bike too, It would have been nice to compare them side by side. I tried the Orbea the week before the Wisper on my first try of E-bikes.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Interesting - I've not seen one with the battery mounted like that before Yaffa, the vertical mount I've seen have all been behind the seatpost. Looks like you went for the hub drive over the crank drive, a comparison I'd like to make, too.

yaffa

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Kent
Interesting - I've not seen one with the battery mounted like that before Yaffa, the vertical mount I've seen have all been behind the seatpost. Looks like you went for the hub drive over the crank drive, a comparison I'd like to make, too.
There are quite a lot of bikes with the battery mounted in the back rack. The only thing is all the weight is at the back especially with the rear hub drive. I only really notice when I'm trying to get it up & down the steps at home & when I'm trying to get it near enough to a lamp post to chain it up!