Trial expansion of 'Like' facility

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do miss the ability to like a post on forums that don't have the facility, if someone has taken the trouble to post about say, their car rebuild, if you can click like then they at least know someone is reading and appreciates their effort.
I agree, it's the "Like" that I want most for that reason, showing acknowledgement.

I'm not worrried about having all the other options.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I also use HotUkDeals, that forum only has a 'Like' rating, like this forum used to only have.
Take a look in the Misc section, posters that are forum mates on there all 'like' each others posts like crazy. Someone comes on and just says 'Hi' and all the posters they get on with will 'LIke' that post. I find it all a bit twee.
But at least they dont have a 'Dislike' or 'bad karma' like some forums have..... if they did, it would end being post rating wars on there. With 'dislike' going back & forth..... and people constantly getting 'disliked' just because they once said something inflammatory ages ago.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Post ratings can even work in the opposite way you'd expect....
A forum i've used in the past is Bike Chat Forums, also known as BCF.
They have a post karma system, with posts being given good or bad karma. Depending on how much you get, the ratio will show on every post you make, in the end your account being red flagged. Some posters after getting a fair bit of bad karma, will then actively try to get as much bad karma as possible by p!ssin off as many other posters as possible, just as a way of sticking 2 fingers up to the whole karma, post rating system. Some of them really go to town, especially as you can pretty much say whatever you want on that forum.
Ironically, i find myself having some respect for those posters.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Dave wants a referendum, in June? my honorible friend?

Reactions: flecc

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The questions that should be asked about post ratings are.....
Are their any benefits of having a 'like' rating for posts in a forum ?..... I'd say yes there are.
Are there any benefits of having derogatory post ratings like 'dislike', 'disagree' or any other post ratings that basically puts a post down ?..... I cant see any benefits at all, they just cause animosity.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
a little 'zombie finger trouble' maybe?

croxden may have meant to rate the post as 'useful' instead of bad spelling.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
a little 'zombie finger trouble' maybe?

croxden may have meant to rate the post as 'useful' instead of bad spelling.
Most times I'm using my iPad, big shaky fingers and little thing to press don't perform to well. Didn't mean to offend anyone, most of my posts are meant to be numerous.
I ought to have checked.
I wouldn't know I'm dyslexic.
if you see what I manage to put down you would know how much I rely on the magic of modern computers and the auto spell check. But trail/trial would get bypassed. Anyway, you did it on purpose hence it being in italics.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Eddie,I realised that feature,but it requires another step to reveal who has clicked like or otherwise....if you scan down a long thread it is no longer quickly possible to determine who has registered,you have to click up each individual posting.
For me,it's not an improvement.
Maybe instead of explaining 'agree' it could have the members name readily alongside the tick.
A gentleman never points out another's bad spelling!
KudosDave
Hi Dave,

Unfortunately it's not possible to show the names without having to click the "List" link.

Technically speaking, it's because the software would have to go off and find all the names in the database each time which would impact server performance.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Personally,I don't find it an improvement,if anything I find it confusing....don't sort what don't need sorting.
Russ....you would be the perfect tester to test the G-tech e-bike,we would see you as impartial.....it will be interesting if they would loan you one for a proper test.
Dave

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Personally,I don't find it an improvement,if anything I find it confusing....don't sort what don't need sorting.
Russ....you would be the perfect tester to test the G-tech e-bike,we would see you as impartial.....it will be interesting if they would loan you one for a proper test.
Dave
I agree about the G-tech bike, not the bit I had problems with this morning.

Advertisers