Battery Box Interfering with Pedals

Wolvyr

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2016
Trust me, you don't want to be doing 30mph on a cruiser with plastic brakes and pedals.
Aha I appreciate the concerns, but I will be using disc brakes, and I don't see how the pedals affect anything?
The 250 watt BBS01 mid motor is capable of peak power of around 750 watts.
On the flat 250 watts will get you 15 mph easy. No speed restrictions and the BBS will do 30 if you work with it, but it is legally a motorbike at that speed. If anything happens you could end up in deep brown stuff.buying a moped is simple and legal.
Having 15 mph cut out I have still had 40 mph on my legal bike.
It is just me and gravity. And uphill 750 watts makes me as fast as any Tour de France rider :-0
I see, but I'm not interested in mid drive systems, as i'm only capable of something as simple as a hub motor. Will the same hold true for a 250W hub motor from eBay?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Mid drive is easy peasy. Honest it is change the bottom bracket and connect up 5 colour coded cables. Power,brakes,speed sensor,display and throttle. Done.
A geared hub motor is almost as good as a mid drive. But you need to pick the right one. Trex knows the names to chose.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a nice, straight, flat, mostly unused cycle path of tarmac that goes for miles, its perfect for high speed cycling.
Won't putting 48V through a 250W motor absolutely destroy it? I imagined it would overheat, melt off the waxy coating of the copper wires in the electromagnet and short circuit the whole thing in minutes?
Volts no, high Amps yes.

Wolvyr

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2016
Mid drive is easy peasy. Honest it is change the bottom bracket and connect up 5 colour coded cables. Power,brakes,speed sensor,display and throttle. Done.
A geared hub motor is almost as good as a mid drive. But you need to pick the right one. Trex knows the names to chose.
So I see that this is a very good option, but what exactly is the issue with a 1000W hub motor? Why choose the 250W mid drive over the 1000W hub or vice versa?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 800w Q128h 260rpm @48v was reported by 1Boris of 44kmh on the throttle and faster with pedal power coupled with a 20-22a controller shoud be more then plenty and better then a 1000w DD dinner plate,
Nearly all the fleabay 500/1000w hubs are DD only come in black and have 400+ rpm wound motors ok for fast flat riding but come to a hill you will be pushing a dead weight up it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So I see that this is a very good option, but what exactly is the issue with a 1000W hub motor? Why choose the 250W mid drive over the 1000W hub or vice versa?
250w legal, 1kw naughty but try and find a geared 1kw kit hub to go up a hill !!! All you will find is DD 1kw ok if you live in flat Anglia or Cambs.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Please forgive me atrocious electronics knowledge, but won't raising the voltage passed also raise the amps?
Amps drawn is holy dependant on the rating of the controller and a decent battery to provide the juice. Albeit 48v will better then 36v providing more torque and speed at the detriment to range given the same battery.

Wolvyr

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2016
250w legal, 1kw naughty but try and find a geared 1kw kit hub to go up a hill !!! All you will find is DD 1kw ok if you live in flat Angkia or Cambs.
I live in East Anglia, but there are still some hills, especially one large one to get out of my small town. So you're saying that going with the 1000W hub motor will not help at all?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Aha I appreciate the concerns, but I will be using disc brakes, and I don't see how the pedals affect anything?
I don't see how you can reasonably use disc brakes on that frame.

Plastic pedals are a useful visual quality barometer. Generally, this means that all the bits you can't see are also made of plastic or clinker or cheese.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: mw1

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I live in East Anglia, but there are still some hills, especially one large one to get out of my small town. So you're saying that going with the 1000W hub motor will not help at all?
It will help to go fast on the flat but will really struggle up that that large hill.
The DD hub is a fast 470rpm wound motor for cruising, show it a hill and it will struggle it is a non geared hub which has no internal gear reduction for hills.
A geared hub although less power wise in watts has internal gearing reduction to enable it to cope with going up hills at a lower speed then on the flat but pick the correct hub and it will get you up the steepest of hills. You have to weigh up out right speed against climbing abillty but don't be swayed by power alone as you need a hub wound for the right speed.
My 250w 270rpm geared hub tops 24mph @, at 48v it will be nearer 28mph. At 36v the range is only 20 odd miles but at a average of 15/16 mph I can get near 60 on a long ride.
But hub alone is not the only thing to think about it needs to be coupled with a controller and a decent battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolvyr

Wolvyr

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2016
It will help to go fast on the flat but will really struggle up that that large hill.
The DD hub is a fast 470rpm wound motor for cruising, show it a hill and it will struggle it is a non geared hub which has no internal gear reduction for hills.
A geared hub although less power wise in watts has internal gearing reduction to enable it to cope with going up hills at a lower speed then on the flat but pick the correct hub and it will get you up the steepest of hills. You have to weigh up out right speed against climbing abillty but don't be swayed by power alone as you need a hub wound for the right speed.
My 250w 270rpm geared hub tops 24mph @36v at 48v it will be nearer 28mph at 36v the range is only 20 odd miles but at a average of 15/16 mph I can get near 60 on a long ride.
But hub alone is not the only thing to think about it needs to be couple with a controller and a decent battery.
What makes a hub motor the "right" motor? So having gears makes it suitable for hill climbing, but compromises speed on the flat? That makes sense, hopefully I got it right. Also, where do you guys suggest sourcing an ebike motor? eBay rarely says whether it is geared or gearless, or any real useful information. The hub motor I was originally looking at was a 1000W gearless motor, so I guess thats out of the picture now.
My requirements are a max speed of around 25mph and ability to climb hills, and preferably a range of at least 6miles. I guess the range entirely depends on the battery but I still thought I'd add it in. Will a 250w motor achieve this for me? Was the 1kw overkill? Can I buy this kit on eBay (or elsewhere) for <£250?

I'm very sorry if it seems like I'm having you guys do my research instead of doing it myself, it's just I thought that the 1kw motor I had in mind was perfect and only now have I found out it is not. I really do appreciate everyone's input :)

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What makes a hub motor the "right" motor? So having gears makes it suitable for hill climbing, but compromises speed on the flat? That makes sense, hopefully I got it right. Also, where you guys suggest sourcing a ebike motor? eBay rarely says whether it is geared or gearless, or any real useful information. The hub motor I was originally looking at was a 1000W gearless motor, so I guess thats out of the picture now.
What makes it the right motor is the application you want it for, which means choosing the right rpm. As already said high rpm for speed but throw in any hills then high rpm is not so good so you have to look for a compromise.
Generally most 250w geared hubs are hill climbers 201 rpm , best of both worlds 260rpm and speed 328rpm. DD hubs usually Chinese about 470 rpm high speed. At 36v 201 = 17mph, 260 20mph and 328 23mph coupled with a 15 - 20a controller, but you can over volt most 36v hubs and controllers with a 48v battery in return torque and speed can be increased by up to 25%. Then you can get 350,500 or 800w geared hubs which will be better at 48v with a better amp rated controller from 20 - 35 amps but for this you will need a decent 20a battery. For your requirements you probably need to be looking at 48v hubs and batteries, you take a gamble and try differing options to get the optimum system for your needs.
Some hubs are built stronger then others, some will not accept such high amps but most are fairly happy at 15 - 18 amps. You have to do your home work and search the forums using the search pages on here or on Endless sphere the US/International forum and then make up your mind.

Last edited:

Advertisers