Newbie about to buy an electric bike

Trevor Morris

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
i have been a cyclist all my life. I have a lovely Dawes galaxy I bought aged 30. However Yorkshire is hilly and I can't get up the hills any more !In my mid sixties and legs not what they were. Use bike to get around shopping social etc. Thought Scott sub touring looked OK have tried briefly felt great. It has Bosch active line and 400w battery lights and carrier and disc breaks. Live bout a mile from town hill down but hill up can't manage without real struggle! Local dealer will do a deal it's bout 2 grand yes v expensive! But I thought at my age why not. Hope to explore country and get out more. Is this good choice? Style of riding normal not boy racer... Further question batterie seem expensive to so will I have to renew every year or so. Will use bike couple of times a week. It will probably not lose it charge fully but batteries still wear even if not used for great distances don't they?
Liked the feel of riding electric.....quite amazing! Any advice have done research so think got basic principles.
Trevor

Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome , Convert the Galaxy. A good frame and wheels will run well with a conversion. Mid or hub, try to get a torque sensor as that will feel natural to you just young again;)

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
Welcome , Convert the Galaxy. A good frame and wheels will run well with a conversion. Mid or hub, try to get a torque sensor as that will feel natural to you just young again;)
Mmm thanks food for thought!!Where would I get this work done though?Probably need advice from an expert in this field. Perhaps I have been bewitched by new gadgetry?! I would imagine cost would be much less and tht would be good!!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Most kits are plug and play. A front hub motor is probably the easiest to do. You only need basic cycle mechanics skills. If you can take a wheel out and strip off the chain ring, you can do a hub conversion. Bottom bracket motors are a little more tricky but lots of folk here do them. There's lots of guidance to be had.
I agree, don't retire the Dawes, give it and yourself a new lease of life.
Welcome to the world of my legs feel 20 years younger!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
CD/ Bottom bracket/Mid Drives how ever you want to call it are easier then Hub wheel conversions as there is no wheel building involved unless of course you buy hub/rim kit already built but then you end up with non matching rims.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Personally, i wouldn't ruin a classic 35 yr old Dawes Galaxy by fitting a kit to it. I would just keep it for those occasions to ride a nice unassisted bike on the flat.
You could easily buy a reasonably priced modern bike to convert, or just buy a ready built Ebike.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Ilkley cycles . All Terrain
Cycles and North Yorkshire Electric Bikes all in Yorkshire and all stock various well known brands

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
Personally, i wouldn't ruin a classic 35 yr old Dawes Galaxy by fitting a kit to it. I would just keep it for those occasions to ride a nice unassisted bike on the flat.
You could easily buy a reasonably priced modern bike to convert, or just buy a ready built Ebike.
I

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
Thanks for your comment! I have come to that conclusion. My galaxy has a special feel as it light with a flexibility in the frame which makes it a real pleasure to ride. A classy tourer... To put a motor on it would destroy that as it would change the weight and that special feel. Putting it a bit strongly and even with a tad of exaggeration I feel it would be a sacrilege to me. Although it might be a very good and sensible solution for some it is not for me. It wouldn't be designed to take such a piece of kit either. (Gosh a bionix would cost £1800 anyway. It may be v good but that seems very expensive to me)
So......I have decided to purchase a khalkoff pro connect 9. I have read the reviews and it seems to fit the bill. And it will be designed ergonomically as an electric bike. Am excited as I look forward to its delivery next Wednesday. I will post my experience as it may help others....

Trevor morris

• Agree
Reactions: Clara and LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could have bought a 2016 Dawes Galaxy and put a mid motor kit on it, a front hydraulic rim brake and you would have had a classy pedelec. It would have cost less than the Khalkoff, been much lighter and probably been more reliable (did you read about the Impulse motors?).

Trevor Morris

Jun 13, 2016
Huddersfield
You could have bought a 2016 Dawes Galaxy and put a mid motor kit on it, a front hydraulic rim brake and you would have had a classy pedelec. It would have cost less than the Khalkoff, been much lighter and probably been more reliable (did you read about the Impulse motors?).
Yes this is an interesting option and looks very attractive! Thank you! However I decided in the end to go for the kalhkoff. Probably I am a fuddy duddy purist but i just cant get used tothe idea of putting a motor on a lightweight touring bike.
There have indeed been some issues with the impulse 2 motor but the issues have been well tackled with the new impulse 2 2016 model. My local supplier has told me he that he has not had anybody with issues on the 2016 model and while the issues where annoying the were relatively minor mechanically.These bikes are v popular in germany and in the continent and are ergonimically and mechanically well thought out and designed so i have been told from a couple of sources. BUT we shall see..... At least I have ensured that i have good access to servicing.
I won't abandon my galaxy altogether. On the flat it is gorgeous. It is these Yorkshire hills that get me puffing... especially with panniers full of shopping!

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Top Tip: For your shopping get a trailer for your bike

The lighter the host bike the lighter the resulting pedelec. I would say I could build probably 2 kg lighter than a Khalkoff. Don't get me wrong I have seen one up close and they do look quite nice but I would rather build my own with the same quality components.