Newbie looking for Veterans' advice!

BikerBear

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Hello all

After seeing an ex colleague convert his mountain bike into a crank driven beast, I have become fixated on the idea of either doing the same or buying an ebike. That and my car guzzles fuel!

I have a couple of options open to me and would very much appreciate your help; I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks (what a resource!), reading various guides and reviews but am still as unsure what to do.

The Commute

Using the 'Predictor' on Woosh's site (thanks Woosh!), my daily commute looks like this:

Distance (A to B): 13.0 miles
Return: 26 miles
Steepest gradient: 17.3%

Outbound elevation 288M at 10MPH 157WH / at 15MPH 189WH

Inbound elevation 283M at 10MPH 157WH / at 15MPH 188WH

Currently takes just over 50 mins outbound and 40 inbound on a road bike.

The Rider

25yo, 5ft 10, 13st 10 ish - average around 15mph in the cotswolds where I live and work, on a road bike. Maybe 20mph on the flat.

I have been fitter, but being desk based doesn't help!

The Options

1. I ride a Triban 3 road bike, weighs just over 10kg. I could convert this, although not sure what the best kit would be for my commute. I do however quite like having the road bike for longer rides at weekends and would like to do a couple of events a year using just human power!
  2. I have a Scott MTB hardtail which I scavanged from a council tip for £10. Fairly lightweight aluminium frame, have a decent pair of forks with lockout. This could be converted, maybe crank driven? Not sure which kit would work the best. I wouldn't need to commute on anything other than tarmac but may be tempted to try offroading.
  3. Buy an ebike using the cycle to work scheme; something around £1000 [Woosh Karoo/Woosh Krieger/ BH Emotion EasyGO Race...the list is vast] although could pay the difference if it's really worth getting something like this? Spreading the payments over 12/18 months would be great - not sure if a conversion kit can be purchased under the same scheme?!
Apologies for the wall of text, will try and repay any help by posting my experiences with whatever option I go for!

Cheers

Harry

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Sounds like converting the MTB is the best bet. Slap some road tyres on it (Big Apples are my favourite).

You may find a hub drive a more relaxing ride for commuting.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I second the conversion of the Scott. Big Ben or Big Apple are a good choice of tyres.

26" wheels? What is the gearing on it? Brakes?

I have moved from hub to mid-drive and am quite relaxed now because the bike is the right size for me. :D

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You already cycle at around 15 mph. Having the electric will make little difference. It's range that increases not speed. ( unless it's seriously hilly)
Torque sensor will give you the most natural feel. The other advice is test ride with test ride.
The only other way to increase the speed is to go recumbent.
More comfort and speed, it's just the heretical idea you have to fight.
I'm not far down the road from you. And Bristol has lots of bike shops for test rides?

BikerBear

Just Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Sounds like converting the MTB is the best bet. Slap some road tyres on it (Big Apples are my favourite).

You may find a hub drive a more relaxing ride for commuting.
Thanks Alan, Big Apples do look like a good choice. Would you say that crank driven is not relaxing? I need to test both I suppose.

I second the conversion of the Scott. Big Ben or Big Apple are a good choice of tyres.

26" wheels? What is the gearing on it? Brakes?

I have moved from hub to mid-drive and am quite relaxed now because the bike is the right size for me. :D
I might need new wheels, the existing ones are a little beaten up but I reckon they are standard 26". I would imagine everything on the bike is stock, the frame has been painted so took a bit of sanding to identify - still not sure how old it is! Will need new brakes, 180mm hydraulic?

You already cycle at around 15 mph. Having the electric will make little difference. It's range that increases not speed. ( unless it's seriously hilly)
Torque sensor will give you the most natural feel. The other advice is test ride with test ride.
The only other way to increase the speed is to go recumbent.
More comfort and speed, it's just the heretical idea you have to fight.
I'm not far down the road from you. And Bristol has lots of bike shops for test rides?
15mph on the road bike, but still get to work in a bit of a state! For me, the idea of an electric bike should help to prevent this. Takes me ages to cool down enough to put on a shirt! Not looking for more speed as such, I would imagine I would be a bit slower on the flat and downhill? Im in Bristol this weekend for Grillstock, so might have a look around!!

A conversion does sound like a fun project, does anyone know if a conversion kit is available on a cycle to work scheme? I understand you can use the scheme just to buy 'accessories'..

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes, try both. You may like one more than the other.

The Hub drive would probably work out cheaper for you, especially since it'll save you having to buy a new rear wheel.

Roughly speaking:
Hub drive kit, 10ah Battery= £500
Crank Drive kit, 10ah Battery =£ 675 + Rear wheel

Sadly I don't think it is possible to buy a kit on the cycle to work scheme.

And yes, if you are putting new brakes on go for Hydraulic. Most discs are 160mm, you might need a 180mm rotor on the back for extra clearance though if you go hub motor.. This doesn't affect the choice of caliper though.

Since you are young and fit, 10ah battery should be all you need for your journey. If you are worried about range you can always charge at work. A second charger is useful for this purpose.

• Informative
Reactions: BikerBear

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would imagine I would be a bit slower on the flat and downhill? .
Slower on the flat yes, but faster downhill because of the extra 6 kg you are carrying on the bike. With the 28" wheels I now leave roadies in the dust downhill, they are only faster than me on the flat now and there isn't a lot of flat around...