How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have no body armour on and just my helmet and gloves, bit stupid tbh but it was boiling hot so thought sod it ;)

not on the vids but not sure why ppl take there gf up there and do the red dh tracks went past one and she just slammed on the brakes and stopped in the middle of the track lol. did not look v happy must of realised all these ppl are lunatics ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it dont look steep in the vids but trust me some of those drops are hard and fast 2hrs of that and my wrists are finished by the end.

you best be able to handle the bike at speed down some of them trails cos if not you are going to have a massive crash.

you can hire a fs cube from the hire centre for 50 quid for half a day id not recommend trying any of that with a hub motor tho you could go the other side and use the flat trails.

• Useful

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its 30 mins from where i am ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is until you crash or hit a tree ;)

• :D
Reactions: StewC and LeighPing

A few snaps from yesterday's ride. Absolutely gorgeous scenery made all the more impressive by this sunny weather. Vive le e-bike for making my day wonderful.
Recent new programming of the BBS01 was a noticeable improvement for off road; felt more responsive, more powerful and all round sharper.
Chain and cassette skipped a few times on smaller sprockets and teeth are looking pulled so time for new, that's 1500 miles on the last one, not bad considering what it goes through.
Looking forward to fresh chain cassette and new front pads next time out, always makes the bike feel fresh again.
Happy riding folks :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
75 miles to the downs and home yesterday no pics, approx. 42 miles were on road as I prefer the ride out rather then take the car and bike. If I lived nearer I would manage more offroad miles. On lowland off road routes I tend to 60 or 70% off roading by selecting various tracks of forest, farm, fp anf bw's.

75 miles to the downs and home yesterday no pics, approx. 42 miles were on road as I prefer the ride out rather then take the car and bike. If I lived nearer I would manage more offroad miles. On lowland off road routes I tend to 60 or 70% off roading by selecting various tracks of forest, farm, fp anf bw's.
I like your style!
Discussing it with my wife, I wonder whether many people don't venture so far off-road in case of a mechanical issue (possibly something as simple as a puncture?), or worse still a bad 'fall-off'. Going out in a small group really helps to minimise such concerns I guess.
Are you pretty comfortable venturing into the unknown Nealh, certainly seems so. And do you take much kit with you? You were a long way from home yesterday!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I prepare and build my own bikes so know when or what is in need of repair /replacement.
I take basic kit:
  • spare tubes.
  • Puncture kit.
  • Spare chain.
  • Spare 12" of links.
  • Spare snap link.
  • Multi tool with chain splitter
  • A few other small basic tools.
  • Phone if I rememeber.
  • £10 esp handy if I want a Guiness.
All this carried in a under top bar bag.
In a rucksack I have:
  • Maps.
  • Food ( Cake or sandwich, fruit etc).
  • Small pump.
  • Camera.
  • Chain oil.
  • Bog roll.
  • Bike light
  • Spare 18650's
  • Ricola herbal sucky sweets.
  • Asthma meds.

On the bike I have a Garmin tourng and a edge 20 for recording and guidance. Also front and rear camera's. An Additive Bike Bag carries my lipo's and supports two drinks bottles.
Clothing wise I always wear Tenn mtb trousers and in summer a spiro fluorescent licra type top short sleeves and in colder wheather a Dumex long sleeve micro pile top. In colder weather I use base layers with Merino wool, vest, long johns, socks. Footwear I always ride wearing my stout Brasher walking boots with ankle support, water proof, very very comfy and able to deal with all terrains. A light snow board helmet is always worn, I take a pair of Bolle Rush+ for eye protection clear and smoked and a pair of Brooks light weight riding gloves.

Some of my rides are in this thread and these two;
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/oxydrive-ride-recorded-on-strava.21885
and http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/emtb-owners-photo-and-ride-thread.24089/page-9#post-314775.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul smith
Wow, sounds like you've got it nailed. Pretty self sufficient out there, and I dare say you could stash a can or two of Guinness too if needs be :)
I caught a terminal flat today, very large slice from a piece of flint. Too large to plug with some plastic or card even if I did pop a new tube in. Tubeless would not have stood a chance either that's for sure.
Fortunately I wasn't too far from a road so got recovered by wifey who fortunately was home :) I don't always have that option.
I'll check the links, tar.
Your list makes me smile. Bog roll, eh. ...and a sucky sweet for anytime? Perhaps a small tube of hand cleansing gel or mini pack of wet wipes? ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Worst thing about the SD's the flints, I had to replace a tyre earlier this year but got away with out a puncture.

Worst thing about the SD's the flints, I had to replace a tyre earlier this year but got away with out a puncture.
Miraculous escape not needing new tube! I agree, the flint up there is a pain, but the views and natural beauty of the area far out weigh that!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
You forgot the kitchen sink nealh...you ever go anywhere else wave..you know..up forest..down dale...??

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes check the other vids on the page ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Advertisers