Wanted: Bike for £500-750, good power output for 6ft bloke

DEVICES

Just Joined
Jul 29, 2016
Surrey, UK
Hi All.

I'm after a pedelec, and would like one with a bit of power - obviously for off road use. 25-30mph would be nice but not essential - 20ish would do at a push.

Something reliable, well put together... Not a clue on brands or anything, but would like something with a range of 30-40 miles ideally. New-ish battery would be good.

It's first main outing will be being used to shuttle back and forwards to a supermarket from a campsite, up one hell of hill!

Need it to be complete with a charger, and ready to ride.

I'm in Surrey, can travel reasonable distances to pick something up. :)

Happy to look at stuff on Ebay too if you can point me in the right direction.

DEVICES

Just Joined
Jul 29, 2016
Surrey, UK
Thanks, I'll go take a look. Not sure I've got enough time to fit a kit, I've not got a suitable blank canvas bike to use, but I won't rule it out. :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks, I'll go take a look. Not sure I've got enough time to fit a kit, I've not got a suitable blank canvas bike to use, but I won't rule it out. :)
Judging by your first post, you are alright about taking the risk of riding an assisted bike at the speeds quoted.

Their fully built 'Magnetic' model will certainly get you the speeds you want, and just squeezes in at the top end of your budget.

Remember, this is a brand new bike with warranty. If you buy second hand, then you'll have zero warranty, and electric bikes aren't as reliable as say a Toyota car!

It may give you 30-40 mile range, but it all depends on terrain, hills etc..
I would say it would do at least 25 miles assisted, but don't quote me.

The only thing is that it's an 18" frame, so may be a tiny bit too small for your height.

Last edited:

Peter_Tandem

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2015
Hi
I am selling a front wheel kit in good condition. You could buy yourself a reasonable brand new bike from Halfords and add my kit for less than £500 total. Installing kit is straight fwd. you only need to watch out for disc brakes on front and the width of the front forks if installing on new bike. I have two tyres so you could have a matching set on the bike too.
I had it on a tandem and it pulled us both along at 20mph on the level. You may find 20mph is plenty fast enough on a narrow path!
The battery is in very good condition.
Peter