Freego/bearpint folding bike stops working for around 2 days at a time.

Cues

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all. I have a bearprint (re-branded freego?, 36v, 10ah battery) that's about 6 years old now. Lately it just stops working for no apparent reason. Have disconnected brake cut-off wires to simplify finding the problem to no avail. Battery at base still shows 41v even when not working, meter shows ful strentgh. Turning everything off and on makes no difference.Check continuity of all connections wih a multimeter, no problem. Strange thing is, every time this happens, after 1 or 2 days, it comes back to life. Any input would be much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 4366

When you say it comes back to life, do you mean that you can ride it up hills, etc.

Cues

Aug 10, 2016
uk
When you say it comes back to life, do you mean that you can ride it up hills, etc.
I mean there is no power to the motor whatsoever. The meter on the battery shows full. The meter on the handlebars shows full. All voltage and continuity checks are fine, even when the motor has died. If I leave it for a couple of days, it runs again fine for a couple of days and then it happens again.

D

Deleted member 4366

Next time it does it, while the motor is not working, measure the voltage between the red and black wires on the throttle, PAS or hall connector. Do it with everything connected and switched on by stuffing your probes up the back of the connector.

If you get approximately 5v, then the problem is between the controller and the motor. Probably best to get one of these to test which it is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-24V-36V-48V-60V-Electro-Car-E-bike-Vehicle-Brushless-Tester-24V-to-60V-/272186105605?hash=item3f5f8e5f05:g:3fUAAOSwZ8ZW9MqT

Linfitter

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Huddersfield
Hi all. I have a bearprint (re-branded freego?, 36v, 10ah battery) that's about 6 years old now. Lately it just stops working for no apparent reason. Have disconnected brake cut-off wires to simplify finding the problem to no avail. Battery at base still shows 41v even when not working, meter shows ful strentgh. Turning everything off and on makes no difference.Check continuity of all connections wih a multimeter, no problem. Strange thing is, every time this happens, after 1 or 2 days, it comes back to life. Any input would be much appreciated.
Hi Cues;

I have had a similar problem with my Kudos King. Got one of those gadgets D8veh recommended (good to see him back). Everything seemed to be working (after a lot of fixing) but still had the problem. Would work then stop short with the battery indicators still showing a good charge. Putting a Multimeters prongs up the battery showed 42Volts after re-charging. Anyway had had enough and decided to get a new battery from Kudos, hek they are cheap enough and at three years of heavy use and 7400 miles couldn't complain. While waiting for the new battery pulled the old one in bits(nicely put together) and lo and behold one of the packs was showing distinct signs of having had its day being swollen and showing weeping of some stuff. Anyway got the new battery and that cured the problem. Maybe D8veh could verify that a bad cell would result in the problems that I and probably you have experienced before going off and buying a new battery.

Yours
sincerely

Linfitter

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that if the battery were faulty, you'd see the LEDs on the handlebars go off when the power cuts.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Cues

Aug 10, 2016
uk
I think that if the battery were faulty, you'd see the LEDs on the handlebars go off when the power cuts.
Thanks all. Sorry for the late reply but it's been running OK. for the last few days. Now it's packed up again! Tested as you said and getting 2.34 V between red and black wires. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 4366

Something is pulling the 5v down, which normally means a short circuit somewhere or a faulty hall-sensor.

While the 2.34v is confirmed, unplug the motor hall sensor connector from the controller. Then do the same for the throttle and pedal sensor. After disconnecting each one, check the 5v again to see if it springs back.

Cues

Aug 10, 2016
uk
Thanks d8veh. Tried all that today to no avail ;-(
ANy other ideas?

Cues

Aug 10, 2016
uk
p.s. I did notice that disconnecting the main lead to the motor made the voltage jump up to 3.05v

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you disconnect the motor at the motor or at the controller? You need to do both to tell whether the problem is in the motor or the lead.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Advertisers