Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It was Merkel's opening of the borders that frightened so many people when they realised all incomers would become German citizens and have FoM.
That dithering fool Cameron could have got on with sorting out our non contributory benefits system, but he utterly failed to realise that immigration was the main problem. Even 2 weeks before the referendum his own people were telling him that immigration was the big problem, but he preferred to concentrate on the economy, mainly because for the past 40 years, elections had been won on the money in people's wallets and purses.
The failure of the EU to have a proper border policy, meant that places like Italy and Greece could allow migrants to land, knowing that they would not be their problem as the migrants moved North.
The EU could have been reformed, but it was as if the early, secretive planning of its founders was carved in stone and had to be blindly followed. Unable to react to events as they occurred it stumbled along, sowing the seeds of its own downfall.
Bit like Marxism when you think about it.
You fail as usual to understand that refugees have rights to land in any country that takes their fancy under the 1951 UNHR Mandate, which has nothing whatever to do with the EU and will still apply to them and us after and IF Brexit ever happens.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Virtue signalling again.
They are not my problem.
Care to explain what you mean by that?
Virtue signalling again? I would have thought even the slowest thinker would have some empathy with those less fortunate than themselves, are you stating that you do not?

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Your last suggestion was simply to resort to a crime against humanity, wasn't it?
Not in the slightest.

The disagreement we seem to have is over the status of these people. Are they genuinely running for their lives from a terrible situation at home or not?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not in the slightest.

The disagreement we seem to have is over the status of these people. Are they genuinely running for their lives from a terrible situation at home or not?
Have you forgotten that you proposed simply sending them all back? has this somehow morphed into a proper examination of each and every one's circumstances?
Very well, lets move: on just how do you propose we check them out when the Government is hell bent on NOT spending any money or resources on the problem?

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Have you forgotten that you proposed simply sending them all back? has this somehow morphed into a proper examination of each and every one's circumstances?
Very well, lets move: on just how do you propose we check them out when the Government is hell bent on NOT spending any money or resources on the problem?
Should have been tackled at source in the country of origin before they got into the trafficker's boats.

Another EU / UN triumph.

• Dislike

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Should have been tackled at source in the country of origin before they got into the trafficker's boats.

Another EU / UN triumph.
Which country of origin would that be? and where are the people and funds to do it? you know the Government isn't going to pay, don't you?

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Did I? I don't remember saying that.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Come on tillson, who and how is it to be done? and how do you do that in a country that is at war?
You are a deep thinker OG and ask some good questions which are relevant. I mean that and I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm going to have to take a break from the forum for a few days because I've got a pile of work to get through. Just thought I'd mention this so you don't think I've gone away and decided to ignore you.

PS, I will look in from time to time if only to hit the dislike button :)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You are a deep thinker OG and ask some good questions which are relevant. I mean that and I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm going to have to take a break from the forum for a few days because I've got a pile of work to get through. Just thought I'd mention this so you don't think I've gone away and decided to ignore you.

PS, I will look in from time to time if only to hit the dislike button :)
You will be missed my friend, I too value your intellect, and I might add rather stylish sense of humour. Looking forward to your return.
Don't overdue the work !

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"
Politicians fuelled rise in hate crimes after Brexit vote, says UN body"
The committee on the elimination of racial discrimination said many prominent politicians should share the blame for the outbreak of xenophobia and intimidation against ethnic minorities.

It said it was deeply concerned that the referendum campaign was marked by divisive, anti-immigrant and xenophobic rhetoric.

“Many politicians and prominent political figures not only failed to condemn it but also created and entrenched prejudices, thereby emboldening individuals to carry out acts of intimidation and hate towards ethnic or ethno-religious minority communities and people who are visibly different.”

More than 3,000 allegations of hate crimes were made to UK police – mainly in the form of harassment and threats – in the week before and the week after the 23 June vote, a year-on-year increase of 42%.

The UN committee said it was concerned that the increase in hate crime notifications did not reflect the true extent of the problem, and that proportionately few reported cases resulted in successful prosecution. “As a result, a large number of racist hate crimes go unpunished.”

The committee did not name any politicians. However, the referendum campaign threw up allegations of racism against the prominent leave campaigner and former Ukip leader Nigel Farage, whose notorious anti-migrant “Breaking Point” poster was reported to the police for inciting racial hatred.
This should worry us all on both sides of the debate, the last thing we need is the low life in our society imagining that it is in some way vindicated by the Brexit success in the referendum.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are a French problem.
They are in France because France did not guard its borders.
Correction: Schengen didn't guard its borders France doesn't have borders with Schengen countries. So I guess they didn't fly in because France does guard its borders with non Schengen countries such as the UK.

If you watched the news you would know that these people are entering via Greece, Italy and Spain. Lucky you that first sea crossing has discouraged them to try a second. Unlucky France.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
You have side stepped my question:

Why the UK when they have been offered places to stay elsewhere?

As for why you haven't sent bureaucrats to treat each person and say "Yes" or "No" to whether they can migrate to Britain, well one day that is going to blow up when the people of Calais and France in general have had enough. 7,300 people fit on a ferry, we should just send them all to Dover and let you sort out the mess there.
That really is a very fair point. All the other major EU nations (and some smaller ones!) have taken their fair share (more than, in some cases) of migrants, far more than the UK, so there may well come a point when the French say enough is enough and take the kind of action you describe. Who can blame them?

As for the ridiculous comments from some on here, they clearly know zilch about European history, even less about the French empire because if they did, they would desist from embarrassing themselves by their incredibly ignorant statements.

There is no 'French problem' nor German problem' but there certainly is a humanitarian crisis that heartless people and downright racists choose to ignore.

British people are a mongrel race as those who paid attention in history lessons at school should know and the English language is pre-dated by, if I remember correctly, at least three other native languages which remain extant, at least in part, today. Why then, we have so many racist and heartless people in our society is a mystery to me. If we are as superior as such people think, perhaps we would have won more world cups, for example. After all, we like to claim we invented football.

Trivial? Yes it is but there is a point there and if you recognise the point, you will understand why 'Brexit' is the most ill-considered remedy for Britain's ills to have surfaced in the last half-century.

Tom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
PS The Calais camp predates the refugee crisis, it has be going on for years now.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Virtue signalling again.
They are not my problem.
Have you no humanity whatsoever?

God forbid that anything nasty befalls any of your family and a medical professional tells you it's not his problem?

Those people you describe as a problem have arms and legs just like us. They also have hearts, some still have family (many don't) and once upon a time had a home, a town or village, a hospital, a school but not any longer.

Heartless people like you contributed in a huge way to these people's plight because you support a warmongering government and a kind of politics that deliberately creates international crises because it generates further unimaginable wealth for the rich and powerful while keeping the 'have-nots' in their place.

Every single British serviceman and woman killed or maimed in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Falklands and other assorted theatres was a direct result of people like you giving your support to tory and pink tory governments. Can you not see that the west, Britain and the USA primarily, created all the problems in the middle-east and in most other war zones in the last 50 years?

Of course, that's not your problem, is it?

Read some factual history instead of the tory media before spouting off about other members of the human race as if they were dirt.

Tom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
the last thing we need is the low life in our society imagining that it is in some way vindicated by the Brexit success in the referendum.
It's way too late for that I'm afraid OG; the low-life were empowered long before the referendum. Farage and Co knew exactly what they were saying and knew equally well that all the loose cannons, rebels without a cause, rent-a-mob and every anarchist group you care to mention would conjoin and take up the fight to free Britain from the tyranny of EU oppression.

As evidenced by the contributions of the 'Brexit' camp in this forum, most of their ilk have no idea of modern history, ancient history, EU structures or even British government. Their idea of truth is whatever Murdoch's editors or the BBC tells them. I have sufficient means to see out my days and my kids are all sorted but I do wonder about the clowns who voted for 'Brexit', especially those idiots employed by Japanese motor manufacturers in the UK. The net result for them after 'Brexit' will be the scrapheap because nobody will replace the lost jobs.

This country is embarked on the opposite of 'How to make friends and influence people'. I can only hope that good sense will ultimately prevail.

Tom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
As an aid for those readers who don't venture very far from the mainstream media, I am attaching an article by a well-respected journalist who is not an 'establishment man' like the vast, vast majority giving forth in our tabloids and via TV & radio.

Some of you will know this man's work; some will have heard about him but others probably won't have a clue.

A read of the article may give a little insight and perhaps make you think a little more deeply about world affairs and politics in general.

If you'd prefer Nick Robinson's view just before the weather forecast, I'll understand. It's ok, even if you'd prefer Andrew Marr telling you what you should think....or Andrew Neil, pretending he's not really an establishment man. Robert Peston will provide you with the Jewish slant on things economic and every single manjack of them at dear old auntie will explain at every opportunity how Corbyn is bad for business, bad for the economy and bad for Britain.

I suppose we should be grateful that we don't even have to think about things nowadays; the government propaganda wing do it all for us........well, they do it for the simpletons to be factually correct.

Now, I can't recall any of those household names I just mentioned ever telling me what this man has to say; I wonder why that is?

Here's the link:

http://johnpilger.com/articles/provoking-nuclear-war-by-media

Tom

Reactions: cosybike and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Telegraph this morning
"
Theresa May will trigger Brexit negotiations without Commons vote
Theresa May will not hold a parliamentary vote on Brexit before opening negotiations to formally trigger Britain's withdrawal from the European Union, The Telegraph has learned.

Opponents of Brexit claim that because the EU referendum result is advisory it must be approved by a vote in the Commons before Article 50 - the formal mechanism to leave the EU - is triggered.

However, in a move which will cheer Eurosceptics, The Telegraph has learned that Mrs May will invoke Article 50 without a vote in Parliament
Mrs May has consulted Government lawyers who have told the Prime Minister she has the executive power to invoke Article 50 and begin the formal process of exiting the European Union without a vote in Parliament.

Her decision will come as a blow to Remain campaigners, who had been hoping to use Parliament to delay or halt Brexit entirely.
"
And in the attached Poll 65% support her doing this.

If this becomes true we will have an Unelected Prime Minister taking action and usurping the power of parliament.

I love it! an end to parliamentary democracy, mob rule and a descent into chaos.
Whats not to like?asks that nice Mr Putin, just a little worrying that a nation run by Mob rule has Trident.
Great! invoke Article 50 today, and let the "Fun" begin.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Daily Excess too
"
New move for instant EU exit: Tory MPs pile on pressure to ditch Brussels for good
MINISTERS are considering proposals for a quick “hard exit” from the EU in the New Year, it has emerged.
The revelation comes as former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith yesterday piled on the pressure for Britain to leave the EU as quickly as possible following the historic vote in the referendum on June 23.

The prominent Brexiteer said the UK should not necessarily seek to remain a member of the single market as such a move would involve surrendering control to Brussels.

He also predicted the Government will trigger Article 50 early in the new year and start the formal two-year countdown to Britain leaving the EU.
“I’ve already made it clear that my personal view is we should not seek to remain a member of the customs union nor necessarily remain a full member of the single market, because that would entail putting yourself yet again under the rule of European law."

I rather like this,highly recommended,
Even Better! much quicker chaos that way: learn the lesson twice as quickly and get it over with

Advertisers