The dangers of buying electric bikes with custom batteries

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Perusing eBay today, I came across this electric bike for sale:

ebike - bafang 48v + 16ah Lithium + NEW P850C Colour Display
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575076635&toolid=10001&campid=5337452466&customid=lipo+bike&icep_item=201648861616&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg
Now I could be wrong, but the batteries the bike has attached to it look like RC LiPos.

Potential buyers who are already clued up on LiPos, will know that they require special care when charging and discharging.

There's no mention in the blurb about this, so a newbie buyer could potentially be riding a bomb on wheels.

Ok that's a bit extreme, but I wish sellers wouldn't assume all buyers know how to take care of LiPos.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Having looked at it I have sent him a message saying he should be ashamed of himself for selling a 30+ mph death trap with crappy rim brakes esp with lipo's which a lot of peep's wouldn't have a clue about.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Perusing eBay today, I came across this electric bike for sale:

ebike - bafang 750w 48v + 16ah Lithium + NEW P850C Colour Display

Now I could be wrong, but the batteries the bike has attached to it look like RC LiPos.

Potential buyers who are already clued up on LiPos, will know that they require special care when charging and discharging.

There's no mention in the blurb about this, so a newbie buyer could potentially be riding a bomb on wheels.

Ok that's a bit extreme, but I wish sellers wouldn't assume all buyers know how to take care of LiPos.

A wrong connection or overcharging even leaving them unattended for a few hours and it could very easy go pear shaped or boom.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Bloody Multistars that aren't in stock in the EU warehouse and you lot have heaps in stock... And they don't ship from the UK warehouse whereas the EU warehouse ships them to Ireland grumble grumble...

That battery setup does look pretty nasty but well protected lipos are less likely to get damaged on a bike than they are in a drone or even worse a R/C all terrain vehicle. User error is the risk with lipos on a bike: taking them below 3 V and over charging plus various errors plugging them in the wrong way.

D

Deleted member 4366

With those brakes, the weight of the conversion and the speed it can go, somebody's going to get hurt. Basically, it's a £450 kit on a £15 bike, so the price looks a bit high to me. he doesn't mention any charger, which could make a difference to the value.

Did you notice the 3D-printed battery holders? If anybody needs some, perhaps you should contact him.

Last edited by a moderator:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
It's an ebay sale of a USED bike.

It's not like he's trying to pass himself off as a reputable retailer selling high end ebikes.

I think you're all over reacting.

he doesn't mention any charger, which could make a difference to the value.
Advert says buyer will need their own charger. That's a good thing imho as it necessitates the buyer being conversant with how to charge lipos properly.

Ooooh, totally overlooked that, naughty naughty :mad:

Cable disc brakes at the very least, hydraulics preferable.
My bike uses rim brakes and its fine.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It's an ebay sale of a USED bike.

It's not like he's trying to pass himself off as a reputable retailer selling high end ebikes.

Advert says buyer will need their own charger. That's a good thing imho as it necessitates the buyer being conversant with how to charge lipos properly.

All rim brakes are not born equal. Most of the ones on cheap bikes are awful, where as the ones on your nice Trek will be as good as can be.

In my opinion good rim brakes are acceptable up to about 20mph.

Rim wear is the biggest problem for me, but I'm heavy and ride in a 'spirited' manner.

D

Deleted member 4366

The thread is to warn people about dangers. When it comes to risks, I must be one of the worst, but I don't think I'm over-reacting by saying that those brakes are totally inadequate for that bike as it stands. You can't compare the brakes on that bike with the hydraulic rim brakes on your bike that weighs a lot less as well.

I don't care about the batteries. Many of us use or used to use lipos. I'd hope that the seller would give clear warnings and instructions about their use before he handed over the bike.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The parting end message; Sold as seen, you get what you see.
Not very inspiring meaning no come back on me when you realise its a pile of crap except for the CD motor, which any unsuspecting buyer wouldn't know about any way.
Even D8veh's £5 skip bike had suspension.
Personally I don't think the guy will give a s**t as long as he makes £300+ quid, the bike it self without the kit belongs in a skip.

• Agree
Reactions: Mike63

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I agree the brakes are bad and not something I'd use but:-

Having looked at it I have sent him a message saying he should be ashamed of himself for selling a 30+ mph death trap with crappy rim brakes esp with lipo's which a lot of peep's wouldn't have a clue about.
is definitely an overeaction.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Even D8veh's £5 skip bike had suspension.
My bike doesn't have suspension.

Personally I don't think the guy will give a s**t as long as he makes £300+ quid, the bike it self without the kit belongs in a skip.
It doesn't look like he's built it to make a profit - it looks like someone who has recently got into ebikes selling their first conversion and now looking to move onto another build.

Good luck to him I say.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It doesn't look like he's built it to make a profit - it looks like someone who has recently got into ebikes selling their first conversion and now looking to move onto another build.

Good luck to him I say.
This thread wasn't intended to witch hunt that particular seller. Everyone starts somewhere, but a conversion with 3D printed battery holders and LiPos, suggests they are more than just starting out.

I suppose everyone has there own level of how comfortable they are in being a responsible person. If it were me, I would be upfront about the LiPos in the listing, stating a few basic facts about the chemistry.

As for the brakes, even newbie riders can tell if they stop the bike safely well enough at speed, so not so much of an issue.

The LiPos are not so clear cut!

Even after 6 years of tinkering with electric bikes, I still wouldn't touch them.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You're missing out. They are a great source of cheap energy.
There's no doubt about that, and energy density is in their favour too.
I would question whether they are much better value for money than 18650 packs though, as they have fewer charge cycles.

I sometimes ride twice a day, so I need a battery system that I can quickly remove from the bike and stick on the charger, with minimal risk of creating a hazard. The dolphin packs are perfect for this, being totally plug and play.

Unfortunately, a LiPo system would be time consuming, with the added risk that I might fook things up if in a hurry.

With the introduction of higher performance 18650 cells like Samsung 30Qs, I reckon LiPos will become less desirable, but as you say, great for those on a budget.

Advertisers