Rohloff/gearbox question/s!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ur fkn doomed now :p

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a complete waste of good bike and gearbox. A heavy direct drive motor like that in the wheel will prevent the rear suspension from working properly. If you want a proper mountain bike with working full suspension, you need a middle motor, but then you can't have that gearbox.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Intetesting. Know anything else about them?

Afraid that I know nothing about the brand, or even where I got the photo from.

I suspect that it was probably from Instagram, as a photo of the hardtail has been stored on my phone for ages, and I can't think where else that I would have spotted it.
I really can't get excited about the full suspension bike though. The company have seemingly produced a nice looking hardtail, then blown it when it came to the full suspension bike.

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
That's a complete waste of good bike and gearbox. A heavy direct drive motor like that in the wheel will prevent the rear suspension from working properly. If you want a proper mountain bike with working full suspension, you need a middle motor, but then you can't have that gearbox.
Wouldn't they have thought of that and designed tbe rear suspension accordingly?

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
Personally I love planetary gears. I commuted with a variety of shimano derailleurs over about 2 years, about 6000 km, and I always needed to clean or the jockey cogs wore out so changing became pants. Also in the city so lots of gear changes on each ride. I went for an Alfine 8 speed and it changes everything for me. My maintenance schedule was severly reduced and I have not had to replace it , changed the oil in it once and done about 9000km on it no worries. For me that and the change gear when stopped just kills the derailleur for me.

Currently thinking about putting one on my BBS02 electric. I don't see why it would cause a problem if anything I should get a smoother chainline.

Reactions: Earthskyouch20

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Personally I love planetary gears. I commuted with a variety of shimano derailleurs over about 2 years, about 6000 km, and I always needed to clean or the jockey cogs wore out so changing became pants. Also in the city so lots of gear changes on each ride. I went for an Alfine 8 speed and it changes everything for me. My maintenance schedule was severly reduced and I have not had to replace it , changed the oil in it once and done about 9000km on it no worries. For me that and the change gear when stopped just kills the derailleur for me.

Currently thinking about putting one on my BBS02 electric. I don't see why it would cause a problem if anything I should get a smoother chainline.
Hub gears are great, I think most people dont give them a chance, put off by weight related scaremongering. I'm a pretty experienced rider and I'm buggered if I can notice any tangible difference to a non hub bike in terms of handling. The weight (more so rohloff than alfine) you can feel when you pick the bike up but when you consider people add racks, mudguards, lights etc in all disciplines it seems churlish to worry about.
It seems manufacturers have fitted hub gears to mid motored bikes so why not? Like you, I can't stomach the idea of going back to derailleurs again!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
This thread sprang to mind a few nights ago, as a fair bit of my local riding is through non existence tracks, which I just make up as I go along . I was making a track roughly 200 metres long through a very tall section of bracken, and the back wheel locked solid a good hand full or so times due to bracken wrapping it self around the jockey wheel and worse, the cassette. Trying to un pick it all the first time was pain, but doing it many times, the novelty quickly wore off.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there not any good if doing this tho ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
because paki keeps stitching me up lol.

Last edited:

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
This thread sprang to mind a few nights ago, as a fair bit of my local riding is through non existence tracks, which I just make up as I go along . I was making a track roughly 200 metres long through a very tall section of bracken, and the back wheel locked solid a good hand full or so times due to bracken wrapping it self around the jockey wheel and worse, the cassette. Trying to un pick it all the first time was pain, but doing it many times, the novelty quickly wore off.
You can come try my rohloff full susser. No motor on it though!

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they cant take heavy impacts like jumps it will just destroy it and the extra waight in the wheel will not help.

i even totalled my xd hub last year.

Related Articles

Advertisers