Creaking steering

niandsa

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2016
Wirral
I've had my Wisper 705se for 10 days now and am enjoying the freedom it gives me. Unfortunately the bike has developed a significant creak at the front, predominantly when turning left or right, even by the smallest amount. It is bad enough for people way up in front to hear me coming!

I have tightened all the allen key points on the handlebars and front fork. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try before I resort to taking it back to the shop? That's not going to be easy as the bike is too heavy for me to lift into the car.

Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I've had my Wisper 705se for 10 days now and am enjoying the freedom it gives me. Unfortunately the bike has developed a significant creak at the front, predominantly when turning left or right, even by the smallest amount. It is bad enough for people way up in front to hear me coming!

I have tightened all the allen key points on the handlebars and front fork. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can try before I resort to taking it back to the shop? That's not going to be easy as the bike is too heavy for me to lift into the car.

Thanks
Be sure to check that the creak is definitely coming from the front. Bikes have a nasty habit of transmitting noises through the frame, so for example, a creaking seat can appear to come from the front.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi, that's a strange one.

It sounds as if it may be an issue with the headset or the spacer between the stem and the forks. As a temporary solution and to check out where the noise is coming from could you put a little light oil between the spacer and the forks and the spacer and the stem literally one drop, then clean of any residue. If the sqeak stops it may be that the headset has been over tightened. We can talk you through how to adjust this, it's quite simple.

If you need any help please give me a call.

All the best, David

Last edited:

niandsa

Aug 21, 2016
Wirral
The bike has been back to the shop who were very good. They had to strip the whole of the front end to find the problem..... an inferior rubber part which they have replaced with an alloy one. Everything has been greased and tightened so fingers crossed there will be no more noises.

David, please can you send me the pannier extension rack as promised on the 7th Sept? I did give you my address on email..... Let me know if you need it again. I will also be checking my lcd tomorrow to make sure it is not affected by the trip reset issue. Then hopefully I can get on with enjoying my bike!!

Reactions: SRS

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Excellent news!

Please let me know which shop you went to fir the fix. I would be very interested to hear which part was to blame, of course we will replace it. However we have hundreds of these bikes on the road and this is the first time I have heard of such an issue.

Regarding the free adaptor, it will go out later next week when the new stock arrives from Holland. Please re email me just to make certain I have your details. I will not be making a charge for this part of delivery.

It seems we have a solution to the trip reset, I will try it tomorrow. I have been told it's a double tap to the on off switch.

Is there anything now stopping your enjoyment of the bike?

All the best, David

niandsa

Aug 21, 2016
Wirral
Hi David,

I've emailed you my address. I'm now happy with my bike.... I did a 12 mile round trip to my local shopping centre today and it only took me a few minutes more than making the same trip by car. Very pleased with my purchase.

I look forward to receiving the pannier extension soon.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Reactions: Emo Rider

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That's great news Sarah, I am so pleased everything is sorted out. I have just responded to your email. Your rack fitting will be with you mid next week.

Kind regards, David

niandsa

Aug 21, 2016
Wirral
It came yesterday morning. Just waiting for my husband to attach it now!
Thanks for your help David.

Advertisers