Help - second hand bike - KTM mountain bike

Sol P

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Bournemouth
Hi pedelecs,
I'm new to pedelecs world and need your advice.
I recently bought second-hand KTM mountain bike on Ebay. I travelled up to Sheffield to pick it up, and it was my dream bike. Started to cycle to work every day and enjoyed it.
But when it went to the first time re-charge, it didn't charge up to full, only half. And went down from half to 5% very quickly when cycling on normal roads. I tried for day to leave on non-stop charge, but battery doesn't fill up, and stays close to empty all the time.

I started the case against seller to return the bike, the issue that seller has to pay return costs (courier), and it's been 2 long weeks with emails.
Once the seller realised that he has to pay return costs, he is now offering me £500 refund to buy a new battery on Ebay, apparently there are some for sale now.
Since it is my dream bike, another battery seems like a good option. But how do I know that it is battery at fault and not the cable and small computer on the handle bars at fault. Could the cable or computer be it fault and not battery?

Do you think it's worth trying to accept another battery in hope that it works?

Many thanks in advance,
Sol.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi pedelecs,
I'm new to pedelecs world and need your advice.
I recently bought second-hand KTM mountain bike on Ebay. I travelled up to Sheffield to pick it up, and it was my dream bike. Started to cycle to work every day and enjoyed it.
But when it went to the first time re-charge, it didn't charge up to full, only half. And went down from half to 5% very quickly when cycling on normal roads. I tried for day to leave on non-stop charge, but battery doesn't fill up, and stays close to empty all the time.

I started the case against seller to return the bike, the issue that seller has to pay return costs (courier), and it's been 2 long weeks with emails.
Once the seller realised that he has to pay return costs, he is now offering me £500 refund to buy a new battery on Ebay, apparently there are some for sale now.
Since it is my dream bike, another battery seems like a good option. But how do I know that it is battery at fault and not the cable and small computer on the handle bars at fault. Could the cable or computer be it fault and not battery?

Do you think it's worth trying to accept another battery in hope that it works?

Many thanks in advance,
Sol.
KTM Bike industries is of a well respected member and regular contributer on pedelecs he should be able to help you. If he doesn't pick up your post then send him a pm.
As it sounds very much like a battery problem I would accept the £500 and buy myself a brand new battery or alternatively I have seen posts on here about a company who will re-cell your existing battery.

• Agree
Reactions: Sol P and LeighPing

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
At the moment the cart is in front of the Horse.

You need to find out if it is the battery or the charger that is faulty. Leaving it plugged in all day does nothing.

Take it to an ebike shop and pay to find out what needs replacing.

£500 will fix either fault and you have a KTM which is a quality bike.

Does anyone else in Bournemouth have a similar bike that you could use to see which part is faulty?

Take the £500 then fix the problem. Bird in the hand

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
As suggusted Colin might be able to help / offer advice (like here > http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ktm-e-race-48v-bionx-fancy-one.22836/ ) - but with the offer of a new battery check that it is the right one!

Any idea of the bike's milage and if the bike was stored up? (if so how was the battery maintained and did it come with the correct charger) and any error codes? KTM stopped using the Bionx sytem years back in favour of Panasonic.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/an-offer-too-good-to-refuse.18562/page-2

D

Deleted member 4366

I didn't realise it was a Bionx system. Don't waste your time trying to get it fixed. Only somebody with special equipment can diagnose what's wrong. Everything is controlled by software. I'd look elsewhere for a bike.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Sol P

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Bournemouth
KTM Bike industries is of a well respected member and regular contributer on pedelecs he should be able to help you. If he doesn't pick up your post then send him a pm.
As it sounds very much like a battery problem I would accept the £500 and buy myself a brand new battery or alternatively I have seen posts on here about a company who will re-cell your existing battery.
Thanks to all for your comments. It's been very useful. Thanks for advice. Will let you know in the next few weeks, how it all ends.
Hopefully some good cycling in future!
many thanks.
Sol.

Advertisers