Giant La Free - key problem.

Kingpin

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2011
My second hand Giant La Free is my pride and joy but yesterday when I went to remove the battery the key would not go in fully to release the battery and I did not want to force it. (I should mention that when I bought the bike second hand it was supplied with only one key that was slightly bent however, it has been working well without a problem for about a year. I have today contacted Giant HQ in case they have a stock of replacement keys and I can, of course, produce receipts for the original purchase and my receipt. The serial number on the lock is 1233. Any suggestions please, the bike rides like a dream and I would hate to use the electric facility ?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the key won't go in fully after working ok previously, it may be the lock that's at fault. It's just possible that a bit of foreign matter has entered the key slot and is blocking the key entry.

Although they can be slow, Giant are quite good on these sort of spares so should be able to help.

The locking into the frame on the Lafree series is not very deep and secure, so it's often possible to insert a screwdriver between the frame member and battery top and coax the battery out by levering without seriously damaging the top of it. With the battery out, the lock is replaceable with a new one which will have a set of keys of course.

Kingpin

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks flecc. Your reply sounds promising. I hope to hear from Giant customer service soon, or will take the bike to my local Giant shop to enlist their help. I'll let you know how I get on.

Kingpin

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Giant La Free lock problem solved.

Good news, my local Giant dealership was able to replace the faulty lock. Two chaps struggled for 5 minutes with screwdrivers but then all was well. The financial damage only £15 but worth it to be off and away enjoying the sunshine. By coincidence they had helped a customer with the same problem just three days earlier.

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's great, glad to hear it's sorted. Giant and their dealers do usually come good in the end, even if somewhat slowly at times.

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Resurrection of old post; I need to change the battery lock between two Lafrees. At least scrap one and switch the other.
My 3sp i shall probably write off [see different post]. and the one I like - a four speed has never had a working lock as i bought it at a charity shop with no key and did the Flecc screwdriver thing of edging the lock up [now taped and battery wedged for use- it works].
Also I tried LBS Giant agent guy for a spare several times last year and he basically not too bothered nor successful, and so I would just like to transfer the lock- BUT how to do it?
It can't be too hard... Flecc please if you're able to advise i would be grateful. Thank you

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Resurrection of old post; I need to change the battery lock between two Lafrees. At least scrap one and switch the other.
My 3sp i shall probably write off [see different post]. and the one I like - a four speed has never had a working lock as i bought it at a charity shop with no key and did the Flecc screwdriver thing of edging the lock up [now taped and battery wedged for use- it works].
Also I tried LBS Giant agent guy for a spare several times last year and he basically not too bothered nor successful, and so I would just like to transfer the lock- BUT how to do it?
It can't be too hard... Flecc please if you're able to advise i would be grateful. Thank you
This time you have me stumped I'm afraid, I've never removed one or investigated how they are fitted in that frame tube. At a guess the lock may be inserted from above and a threaded ring screwed on below into a recess. If so that could have a slot each side of the ring or at more points to allow it to be undone.

If with battery out you turn one of them over and closely examine the lock from below, the fastening may be revealed.

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Oh!
I think that has to be right - inserted from above or below with a locking collar- below i'd guess or any scally might 'change it' for you.
Thanks for your time

Advertisers