Cyclotricity kit

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Hi all, I`m looking for any advice on a Cyclotricity kit from E-Bikesdirect, I`m gonna fit it to my Carrera Vengeance, thinking about the 500w or 1000w rear drive with the LCD control, looking to make hills and headwinds a bit easier, I don`t commute, only for pleasure and fitness, I do about 10 road miles every other night and don`t mind peddling on the flat, I also use it for off road, forest tracks and hill trails. To be honest I`m more concerned with miles than power, so maybe the 1000w is a bit overkill, I`ve been reading about DD vs geared and the issues with drag when using pedal power as opposed to PAS, Cheers all, Johnny.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I have a 500w rear motor in my garage that I had on for 1 month before I changed to a 250w front motor. I had two rides where I ran out of power and trying to cycle something that heavy was very hard. I have 2x 250w Cyclotricity front kits that I've been using for around 3 years and I'm still impressed every day on my 10 mile round commute.

There's another Cyclotricity thread lower down.

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

The big 500w and 1000w direct drive motors are very heavy and normally designed for high speed use. They become very inefficient when used on hills, so your battery will go down rapidly. Buy one if you want to go fast on flat roads or if you're light, otherwise look for a geared motor or crank drive. They're not easy to pedal without help from the battery.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I have a 500w rear motor in my garage that I had on for 1 month before I changed to a 250w front motor. I had two rides where I ran out of power and trying to cycle something that heavy was very hard. I have 2x 250w Cyclotricity front kits that I've been using for around 3 years and I'm still impressed every day on my 10 mile round commute.

There's another Cyclotricity thread lower down.
Thanks for that, I`m kinda swayed to the 250w now, and also after a chat with the guy at EBikes direct, a lot more distance with the 250w and a 15Ah battery. The extra power for the hills is tempting too, decisions decisions.

• Agree

Big Malky

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2015
Hi Johnny I have an oxydrive rear hub motor 250W and have never had to stand up on the pedals. Just use the gears as normal when going uphill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Thanks for all the advice folks, I really appreciate it, I have looked at Cyclotricity, but with the Whoosh and the BB ones there seems to be a lot of ifs about the compatability with my Carrera, I decided that distance is more important than power but extra power would be good too, and whittled it down to either the 250w front drive with a 36v/15Ah battery and the LCD controller or the 500w rear drive with a 36v/15Ah battery and the LCD controller, specs say around 20 miles with the 250w and a 15Ah battery, question is, with adjustment to the controller, IE less power selected, could I get the same distance with 500w drive as the 250w drive, a bit like keeping your foot off the pedal to get more miles per gallon. Thanks again, Johnny.

PS. I`m 12 stone

Last edited:
  • Informative

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
On the flat, you might achieve that. :)

I get 12 miles with my bigger bike. Although, it does do 'all' the work.
Thanks for that Leigh, I have decided on the Cyclotricity 250w kit with the 15Ah battery, and the LCD Dash mount, this one http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Conversion_Kits/Front_EKits/Cyclotricity_eKit_250W_36-15Ah_Frame_Battery-eKit_26_wheel.aspx

I`ve read a few good reviews for it and no bad ones, unless anybody here knows anything bad about them. Cheers, Johnny.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I have ordered the Cyclotricity 250w kit, should be here Sat or Mon, Ebikes Direct charged me an extra £21 cos I`m in the North east of Scotland, not happy, but HeyHo, I downloaded the Installation manual on how to fit it to my Carrera (Typical broken Chinese) and a bit vauge, well to me anyway , I have a sealed bottom bracket so it says you have to fit the PAS sensor to inside of the crankset on the right and not the LHS crank, instruction below, hopefully will be clearer when I`m fitting it.

1 Insert the PAS sensor inside the bottom bracket, insert it from
the left end to the right end, the right end will act as a stopper.
2 Install the bottom bracket onto the crank (by turning it anti
clock-wise at the chain-wheel side and clockwise at the left pedal
arm). Make sure the sensor device is facing outwards.
3 Once the bottom bracket is firmly installed, insert the black PAS
magnet disc onto the right shaft.
4 Make sure the arrows on disc are clock-wise (the direction of
pedalling).
5 Install the pedal arm back and tighten with a wrench.

Also does this bit below just mean you have to make sure your wheel is secure, any advice greatly appreciated.

Exceptions to limited Warranty
“Spin Out” – Spinning out the axles inside of your dropouts – We
are unable to be there when the kit is installed so it is up to you to
understand the high torque involved at the dropouts and install
them correctly.
If your dropouts are not correctly suited to fit the axle then you
should not install the kit on those forks. Get new forks, file the
forks to the axle fit “flush” or contact your dealership to return the
kit. We will not refund or replace a motor that has been “spun
out”.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Spin out, they are covering their backs in case you don't fit the wheel/axle correctly in the drop outs.
When you get the kit sit the axle in the drop outs, check the axle is sitting deep enough and that none of the flat side of the axle is sitting down/below the drop out. It may be necessary to file out the drop out a bit deeper by 2 -4 mm, easiest way to do this is with a dremmel.
When you get your kit post a pic of the axle in the drop out without the axle nuts and we can tell you if it will be ok.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Here's how I fitted it to the Carrera with a home made bracket courtesy of D8veh's suggestion.DSCF2963.JPG
The bracket has two rightangle tabs that fit onto the caliper posts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A one piece T/A for a BPM hub one on each side.

DSCF0029.JPG