Self sealing inner tube saves the day :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Out on a ride today, I was aware of an unusual sound which presented itself on every revolution of the rear wheel.
On closer inspection, I noticed a stick on the tyre that was hitting the mudguard.
Thinking it was stuck on with the mud on the tyre, I stupidly pulled at it and the next thing I knew, pssssssst.

Bugger, it had actually gone through the Schwalbe Marathon tyre and punctured the inner tube too.
Luckily, the escaping air stopped after about 5 seconds and the tyre was sealed for the journey home at least :)

I've thoroughly checked the tyre and I think the foreign object has been totally removed. The tyre has been pumped back up to my regular pressure and I will check it in the morning to see if it has leaked at all.

If it hasn't leaked any more air, is it ok to just to leave it as it is, or would it be best to replace the inner tube?

Anyone's experience of carrying on using a punctured self sealing inner tube, will be much appreciated.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I think the general advice is to replace the inner tube.

That said... on my first outing on my first e-Bike, I rode straight over a piece of blackthorn and the thorn went straight through the tyre, puncturing the inner tube. I saw what had happened and managed to break off the twig leaving the thorn embedded inside the inner tube and it lasted for my 4 mile ride home (phew!).

The next day my delivery of Slime arrived so I removed the thorn, deflating the tube in the process, pumped in the slime, spun the tyre several times and it held. This was August 2015 and the same inner tube is still in situ and the repair has held.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think the general advice is to replace the inner tube.

That said... on my first outing on my first e-Bike, I rode straight over a piece of blackthorn and the thorn went straight through the tyre, puncturing the inner tube. I saw what had happened and managed to break off the twig leaving the thorn embedded inside the inner tube and it lasted for my 4 mile ride home (phew!).

The next day my delivery of Slime arrived so I removed the thorn, deflating the tube in the process, pumped in the slime, spun the tyre several times and it held. This was August 2015 and the same inner tube is still in situ and the repair has held.
That's encouraging as it's a slime filled tube that's on there :)

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I posted recently about a very similar incident involving punctures from hawthorn trimmings. Fortunately my tube was "slimed" so I made the 5 mile run home without having to tackle a repair with arthritic fingers in the encroaching darkness. It transpired that there were three separate punctures so I replaced and re-slimed the tube.

Jim

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It goes to show, Schwalbe Marathons plus slime tubes, really do make a great partnership.

If the tyre pressure hasn't dropped by tomorrow, then I'm just going to leave things be.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
These reports on the efficacy of the slime product are causing me to lean towards using it in my tubes regardless of the fact I have MPs front and back. My reason is simply that I just can't be bothered with all the aggravation of mending a puncture at the road side, especially in winter.

Cost-wise, it's not exactly a high price to pay for saving the aggravation and unlike a tubeless car tyre, it can still be repaired and re-used - try asking Kwik-Fit to do a repair on a slimed tyre! I bet the guys with tubeless bicycle tyres don't scrap them when they get a puncture in a slimed tyre.

Tom

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Woooo, the tyre held pressure overnight and on return from a 15 mile ride.

Marathon Plus tyres and slime tubes must come a very close second to tubeless tyres. This combo is definitely worth considering if you need reliable puncture protection.

Still worth taking a mini pump along too though, as you do lose a bit of pressure until the sealant works its magic.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks, think I'll investigate this some more 'cos we're coming up to hedge flaying season and there'll be crap all over the lanes. They are, of course, supposed to clear it all up. Yeh right:p

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Blimey! I run my wheelbarrow at 30-35psi. It sounds a bit draggy to me on 28" rims but if you have experimented a bit and find 35psi adequate, I may give it a try.

Thanks for that,
Tom
Mine's got a lot of torque, so I don't notice any drag.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: IR772

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have never run tires over 43 PSI!

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Crikey, really? I run my Marathon +'s at 55, feels squidgy otherwise.
On the slime tube front, seems that 700c tubes with schrader valves are a bit of a rareity.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Crikey, really? I run my Marathon +'s at 55, feels squidgy otherwise.
On the slime tube front, seems that 700c tubes with schrader valves are a bit of a rareity.
Most of my riding is on woodland trails, so I inflate the tyres for grip rather than rolling resistance. There's no squidgy feeling, although I could imagine they would feel like this if ridden totally on hard surfaces.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Gotcha. My riding's on tarmac although that's an approximate description on a lot of the smaller lanes around here .