Elife 20" folding Bicycle

Live_Steam_Mad

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2016
NW England
Halfords also sell electric folding bikes with 20" wheels for 500 GBP but they are 24V and they don't list what capacity the battery is, and there is a mere 1 year warranty on the battery (and motor) ;-

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/coyote-connect-folding-electric-bike-2015

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/coyote-connect-folding-electric-bike
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/coyote-connect-folding-electric-bike
Decathlon also do a similar bike at 530 GBP with 24V and 6Ah ;-

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-hoptown-electric-folding-bike-id_8328552.html
...the battery and motor warranty is 2 years (they have worded it badly on their website, check the Bebike 500 (Elops 500 E) which has the same voltage battery and same warranty but much better wording).

Both Halfords an Decathlon are local Ebike shops to me, so I personally would buy from them (and indeed I already did, I bought an Elops 500 E recently).

Regards,

Alistair G.

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Interesting that they omit the size of the battery in AmpHrs or watt hrs.
It is 36v,8.8aH, you can also buy them separately for £189.99 +£4.99p+p so £689.98 +£4.99p+p for a 17.6 aH setup :

http://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/e-life-natural-36v-8-8ah-battery-385114?query=fh_view_size=24&fh_location=%2f%2fidealworld%2fen_GB%2fcategories@lt;%7bidealworld_1002%7d%2fcategories@lt;%7bidealworld_1002_11345%7d&fh_sort=-onair_iw%2c-salescash_iw%2c-hasimage_iw%2c-new_iw%2c-salesunits_iw%2c-average_overall_rating_iw%2c-stock_iw

together with the front suspension and the free accessories a cheap introduction to e biking.

Last edited:

Live_Steam_Mad

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2016
NW England
Wow, excellent price for that specification of replacement battery, well spotted.

Just the other night I was watching James May's The Reassembler, with the Honda "Monkey" bike, the miniature motorbike, and I was thinking what a lovely little bike, but what a pity that it's a little impractical for riding on the road, being so low down, and a bit of an annoyance with the need for buying petrol and having to burn fossils and needing to take Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) and wear a motorcycle helmet, and have insurance and MOT and road tax, even though being a car driver means I already have a full moped license, reading this topic here got me thinking, an electric foldable bike with 20" wheels is kinda like having an electric "Monkey" bike, except it's far more practical to ride on roads, and all I have to do is charge (or it's already charged) it then take it out for a ride, no fuss, and it's foldable so I can put it in the back of my car, or take it into an office etc., and it wheels around very easily when folded, makes me think maybe I should have bought a folding e-bike instead of a non folding 26" wheel one.

Then I saw a video on Youtube ;-

...where it showed a foldable bike with an LCD display which apparently can show power draw on the motor, speed, distance etc, a feature that I am very keen on, and a battery that is stored in the frame (I have noticed how an e.g. 36V 10Ah battery for a non-folding e-bike weighs 4Kg and is a bit heavy to carry around with you when you e.g. lock up your bike outside and take your battery into an office, I was happy that my own e-bike battery was only 1.9Kg as it is 24V 8Ah, so rather easier to carry with you to stop it getting nicked).

However this folding e-bike is only available in Canada / USA and 350W and not legal for use in UK.

Then I found this folding e-bike ;-

https://www.evoscooters.co.uk/evomotion-e-dragon-evo-electric-bike.html

...and I notice that it has the features I am after, i.e. LCD display !, mud guards, chain oil guard, plenty of gears (7), 17.8Kg weight minus the battery, 36V 8Ah battery to get around the lesser range that cheap folding bikes tend to have, 2.2Kg battery weight, battery stored in the frame, controller in the frame, a separate TWIST THROTTLE control (!!), and not a bad price at 609 GBP. However, it's one draw back as far as I am concerned is the Torque sensor instead of a Cadence sensor. I have ridden my Brother's Torque sensored bike extensively and the need to keep putting some considerable effort into the pedalling is annoying, whereas with my own cadence sensored bike I can pedal very slowly and it takes off and does all the work for me! But then I suppose this folding e-bike has got a separate throttle control so I can pedal and throttle or just use throttle alone! Cool! The only thing that it is lacking is suspension!

Regards,

Alistair G.

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Credit should go to d8veh he picked up on this in December I only checked to see if it was repeated as the original deal sold out.

May be a good time to pick up these bargain deals before any future price rises.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
I'm very happy with my folding bike - Seago e-power, 19kg with its 36v 8.8Ah battery and disc brakes: http://www.seagoyachting.co.uk/products/bike/
Hi Kangooroo
Did they not tell you to wait a month, they've just took delivery of the new Seago folder 36v 10amp Samsung cells, for I believe, the very same price. Sham you're just out of your cooling off period.

Sent from my VFD 700 using Tapatalk

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Hi Kangooroo
Did they not tell you to wait a month, they've just took delivery of the new Seago folder 36v 10amp Samsung cells, for I believe, the very same price. Sham you're just out of your cooling off period.
I bought my Seago back in August 2015 and have used it nearly every day since.

It's good to hear it's going from strength to strength with a boost to the battery capacity.

Great bike - I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable folder.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
I bought my Seago back in August 2015 and have used it nearly every day since.

It's good to hear it's going from strength to strength with a boost to the battery capacity.

Great bike - I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable folder.
The dimensions of the battery are identical, so may be a consideration when you need to replace it.

PS What kind of distance, and on roughly what power assist are you getting out of it? I just very nearly bought the 10amp version, but really needed LCD display (deal breaker) so I could manipulate a few of the settings.

Sent from my VFD 700 using Tapatalk

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I use it for touring including following hilly routes between castles on the Welsh borders with up to 20% gradients. I get about 30 miles but this easily increases to 40+ on flatter routes. I weigh 53kg, am unfit, have minimal stamina and carry about 5kg load, sometimes more. When used by a 95kg rider carrying the same load and on the same route, the range is reduced to about 22-25 miles.

It's quite a zippy bike. Mine is the 2015 version with just 3 power levels and I feel the lowest is set too high. The 2016 model addresses this and adds a further 2 power levels so probably offers a little extra range due to better use of the power.

Cobell

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2017
I bought the E Dragon from Evoscooters. ..I nearly bought the Seago but the independent throttle control on the Dragon won the day for me, it's great for getting it up hill or just getting it going..I can't comment on the Seago but I hear it's a great bike!...but so is the E Dragon...good Solid Build...Great torque and superb battery life..getting loads out of it between charges, more than I thought I would tbh..the motor on this bike is excellent , I have a weaker right side due to stroke last year , but this takes all the hard work out of it, it just flys along with very little pedeling from me..even from standing it will shoot off with very little effort ( much better than the one I tried from Halfords).I'm well happy with it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobell

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2017
Wow, excellent price for that specification of replacement battery, well spotted.

Just the other night I was watching James May's The Reassembler, with the Honda "Monkey" bike, the miniature motorbike, and I was thinking what a lovely little bike, but what a pity that it's a little impractical for riding on the road, being so low down, and a bit of an annoyance with the need for buying petrol and having to burn fossils and needing to take Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) and wear a motorcycle helmet, and have insurance and MOT and road tax, even though being a car driver means I already have a full moped license, reading this topic here got me thinking, an electric foldable bike with 20" wheels is kinda like having an electric "Monkey" bike, except it's far more practical to ride on roads, and all I have to do is charge (or it's already charged) it then take it out for a ride, no fuss, and it's foldable so I can put it in the back of my car, or take it into an office etc., and it wheels around very easily when folded, makes me think maybe I should have bought a folding e-bike instead of a non folding 26" wheel one.

...where it showed a foldable bike with an LCD display which apparently can show power draw on the motor, speed, distance etc, a feature that I am very keen on, and a battery that is stored in the frame (I have noticed how an e.g. 36V 10Ah battery for a non-folding e-bike weighs 4Kg and is a bit heavy to carry around with you when you e.g. lock up your bike outside and take your battery into an office, I was happy that my own e-bike battery was only 1.9Kg as it is 24V 8Ah, so rather easier to carry with you to stop it getting nicked).

However this folding e-bike is only available in Canada / USA and 350W and not legal for use in UK.

...and I notice that it has the features I am after, i.e. LCD display !, mud guards, chain oil guard, plenty of gears (7), 17.8Kg weight minus the battery, 36V 8Ah battery to get around the lesser range that cheap folding bikes tend to have, 2.2Kg battery weight, battery stored in the frame, controller in the frame, a separate TWIST THROTTLE control (!!), and not a bad price at 609 GBP. However, it's one draw back as far as I am concerned is the Torque sensor instead of a Cadence sensor. I have ridden my Brother's Torque sensored bike extensively and the need to keep putting some considerable effort into the pedalling is annoying, whereas with my own cadence sensored bike I can pedal very slowly and it takes off and does all the work for me! But then I suppose this folding e-bike has got a separate throttle control so I can pedal and throttle or just use throttle alone! Cool! The only thing that it is lacking is suspension!

Regards,

Alistair G.

Regards,

Alistair G.