Self sealing inner tube saves the day :)

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Since getting my ebike . Not suprisingly me and the boy have done a lot more cycling. With that comes the risk of punctures. He picked one up rear wheel of his bmx a few weeks back so I stuck half a bottle of slime in and it's held. Today I managed to puncture mine front a rear. Only half mile from home so I walked and he road. I still had a bottle of slime left. So cleaned the wheels . Found the thorn in the back but not the front. Did the slime and hey presto all fine again.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Is there slime, and slime
I.,e. what make?
My car came with a bottle of some sort of goo.
Never had to use it.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Slime is good for punctures as ref my earlier post in this thread.

However.... at the weekend I found I couldn't inflate my slimed tyre - nor could I deflate it: the tyre valve had jammed. Via an assortment of valve removal tool, tweezers and pins I eventually managed to pull it out but it was stuck in thickly congealed slime from that pumped in back in August 2015. It took boiling water and wire brush to release the valve from all the gunk.

I've never had this happen previously - has anyone else? Or could it have frozen (despite my bike being stored in a uPVC utility room, albeit unheated)? I'm just glad I discovered it while at home rather than following a puncture only to find I couldn't reinflate the tyre.

As for the repaired puncture, I could see where the puncture occured on the inner tube and there was a welt of green fibres across it holding it secure - very impressed by this. Less so by the congealed valve.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Slime is good for punctures as ref my earlier post in this thread.

However.... at the weekend I found I couldn't inflate my slimed tyre - nor could I deflate it: the tyre valve had jammed. Via an assortment of valve removal tool, tweezers and pins I eventually managed to pull it out but it was stuck in thickly congealed slime from that pumped in back in August 2015. It took boiling water and wire brush to release the valve from all the gunk.

I've never had this happen previously - has anyone else? Or could it have frozen (despite my bike being stored in a uPVC utility room, albeit unheated)? I'm just glad I discovered it while at home rather than following a puncture only to find I couldn't reinflate the tyre.

As for the repaired puncture, I could see where the puncture occured on the inner tube and there was a welt of green fibres across it holding it secure - very impressed by this. Less so by the congealed valve.
As I mentioned in a post above, I think the trick is to allow any sealant to drain out of the valve stem before inflating or deflating.

I always do this at the 6 o'clock position, as my theory is that the Slime should move away from the valve under gravity. It's worked for me so far.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
In my case I couldn't do either. The valve stem was completely blocked and congealed so I couldn't even squeeze any air out. It was quite a job to pluck and prise the valve out. No chance of anything draining out of this tube, neither air nor slime. :(

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
In my case I couldn't do either. The valve stem was completely blocked and congealed so I couldn't even squeeze any air out. It was quite a job to pluck and prise the valve out. No chance of anything draining out of this tube, neither air nor slime. :(
You have a leaking valve, the slime did its job.

Chuck the tube away and get a new one.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
That thought crossed my mind, especially as I'd seen a little slime on the wheel beside the valve then could neither inflate nor deflate it. I'd dismissed it though, thinking the valve would be too large to seal. However, I think you're right and the Slime has certainly proven its worth. I'll never be without it and replaced the tube with a pre-filled on Monday.