Alien ocean

Nevg

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Newton-le-willows
Hi I am Nev, based in Warrington area.

I bought my wife an alien ocean bike which is based on an eclipse stepthrough bike.

Two years on I think the controller has popped, battery charge looks fine, I couldn't get any voltage from the plug where it connects to motor with throttle on..so deduced the controller.

Anyways, I have searched for the controller type without much luck. g3m20211-1592-16, which would be just to straight swap.

Or do I need to buy another kit, ?

I can't guarantee any of it hasn't failed, so a cheqpcontroller swapout could be a quick check.
And if I have to spen say 350+ on a full kit, I may as well buy a new bike.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Nev

D

Deleted member 4366

Some of the old alien Ocean bikes had brushed motors. How many wires do you have connecting the motor to the controller?

The code number corresponds to the code on many different LSW controllers, so we need to know about the motor wires and the voltage written on it. The actual type code is the number that begins LSW, but there's hundreds of different ones, so that number is pretty meaningless. What we need to know is brushed or brushless and sensored or sensorless motor, which is shown by the number of motor wires.

Having said that, assuming brushless, you can't measure voltage to the motor because it's A/C and will shut down if it detects anomalies.

Instead, you should check what's happening on the battery side. Measure the voltage on the battery connections before and after switching on (or connecting if no switch) the controller. If the voltage collapses, it's the battery that's faulty. You can only check that by putting it under load. Those batteries will still show 42v when they're dead, but you can't take any current from them.

A new better controller will be about £40 and a new better battery somewhere between £200 and £300.

Nevg

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Newton-le-willows
Some of the old alien Ocean bikes had brushed motors. How many wires do you have connecting the motor to the controller?

The code number corresponds to the code on many different LSW controllers, so we need to know about the motor wires and the voltage written on it. The actual type code is the number that begins LSW, but there's hundreds of different ones, so that number is pretty meaningless. What we need to know is brushed or brushless and sensored or sensorless motor, which is shown by the number of motor wires.

Having said that, assuming brushless, you can't measure voltage to the motor because it's A/C and will shut down if it detects anomalies.

Instead, you should check what's happening on the battery side. Measure the voltage on the battery connections before and after switching on (or connecting if no switch) the controller. If the voltage collapses, it's the battery that's faulty. You can only check that by putting it under load. Those batteries will still show 42v when they're dead, but you can't take any current from them.

A new better controller will be about £40 and a new better battery somewhere between £200 and £300.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

It has a 3 wire plug as far as I can see, the controller is as follows

Lsw 624-50 x1303025866

I had another controller that I purchased in error a couple of years ago when trying to diagnose something else in a previous bike, but apart from 3 wires all the rest looked different...I had assumed they would all be at least similar :)

I hadn't realised battery would still show voltage etc, even the LCD all comes on, just no assist or throttle response.

If it's going to be along the lines of 3-400, would I then be better buying another 700-1000 bike, I had been looking at the hawk from freego as a last resort.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Your battery must be 6 years old now. there can't be a lot of life left in it. Something is confusing me. you mentioned a LCD. I didn't think these bikes had LCDs. Has it been upgraded?

The LCD shows the battery voltage. What does it show when you open the throttle?

One more measurement is needed to diagnose your problem. Please measure the voltage between the red and black throttle or PAS wires when the LCD is switched on. They should be 5v.

Nevg

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Newton-le-willows
Your battery must be 6 years old now. there can't be a lot of life left in it. Something is confusing me. you mentioned a LCD. I didn't think these bikes had LCDs. Has it been upgraded?

The LCD shows the battery voltage. What does it show when you open the throttle?

One more measurement is needed to diagnose your problem. Please measure the voltage between the red and black throttle or PAS wires when the LCD is switched on. They should be 5v.
it was one of the newer ones,, I think it may only be 2 years ish old....

I will look to see if I can see voltage, and try and find throttle wires

D

Deleted member 4366

If you press any of the buttons, does the miles change to volts?

What was the voltage on the throttle then?

Nevg

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Newton-le-willows
If you press any of the buttons, does the miles change to volts?

What was the voltage on the throttle then?
I pressed alm the buttons earlier, but couldn't get a volt reading ,

I willl pull the controller out again tomorrow

Do I just unplug a black and red plug, and put the volt meter on it ?

I flicked the switch from a to e a few tone but it always read assist, but I wouldn't know if it used to change before or not

D

Deleted member 4366

You can normally get your probes up the back of the connectors while connected.

D

Deleted member 4366

You only need to measure between the black and the red on the throttle or peal sensor. Nothing else will give you a meaningful result.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a small black 3-way with red black and blue. Did you measure that one? If it showed .66v, your controller is knackered.

D

Deleted member 4366

Right then,

Do I need to replace all but battery and wheel ?

If so, any pointers.
Yes. This one works quite well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24v36v48v250w350w-controller-display-set-control-panel-lcd-dashboard-for-electric-bike-scooter-moped-mtb-tricycle-scooter/32464390144.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.9doYVN

You'll have to change some of the connectors and you'll need a speed sensor if you don't already have one, though I guess you must have one for your LCD to show the speed.

Nevg

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Newton-le-willows
Yes. This one works quite well:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24v36v48v250w350w-controller-display-set-control-panel-lcd-dashboard-for-electric-bike-scooter-moped-mtb-tricycle-scooter/32464390144.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.9doYVN

You'll have to change some of the connectors and you'll need a speed sensor if you don't already have one, though I guess you must have one for your LCD to show the speed.
Excuse my ignorance, is it the 36v one I need to order .

Yeh speed sensor on front wheel

Thanks for your help o_O