eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Hope the motor is ok.:eek:
Yes thanks Steve. I was in lowest gear spinning my feet as best as I could. I think maybe it overheated. As I was using full power at a slow speed. Next time I will be slightly higher gear and stand up and see what happens. I turned the bike off and waited a minute and then it worked again. Previous to this I had been on a long slow ascent near bottom gear but doable.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Today I was first playing around in the rockscape on the photo. Really cool I think, trial skills come in handy here. And it goes better and better. Balance is better also. It starts to get really fun this! Also on the way home I found a built jump in the forrest, at first it looked scary but I thought, it should be easy if you just have some speed. So I put the Sport-mode in and just tried the jump. It worked and it was really nice to try for once! :) I can tell you, fatbike and full-face helmet is real confidence builders!

IMG_7168-Edit.jpg

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Yes thanks Steve. I was in lowest gear spinning my feet as best as I could. I think maybe it overheated. As I was using full power at a slow speed. Next time I will be slightly higher gear and stand up and see what happens. I turned the bike off and waited a minute and then it worked again. Previous to this I had been on a long slow ascent near bottom gear but doable.
That have happened on my hub motor bike a few times as well, overheated. But there it was the controller that broke :(

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Even though I still don’t feel 100% yet, I couldn’t let such a lovely evening pass by without popping out for an evening ride, and I’m really glad that I did

The ride felt ten times better that the one of two nights ago, and everything just clicked into place. I swapped from the Hutchinson DZO's to Toro's yesterday, and had forgotten just how ridiculously good that the Toro tyres are, especially when it comes to roots. They lost out over the DZO’s on outright grip in the mud, but more than made up for it with limpet like grip everywhere else. I had stopped using them when the side walls became porous, but as I want to start commuting off road to work again, I couldn't face wearing the DZO's out. To get around the issue with the tyres, I have fitted tubes, but using a Rockshox syringe, put Café Latex in the tubes. Sort of the best of both worlds in respect of commuting off road.

It was a mixed ride this evening, of open terrain, some wide single track, and some very tight and technical riding through trees. I also decided that I had better continue pushing myself in respect of getting over things and also go back to doing something that I haven’t done a for a while, which is ridge riding.

The forest tracks and bridleways have very narrow gullies and narrow ridges that very from roughly 150mm wide, down to just 50mm wide. The idea is to balance along them, increasing speed as you go, until you lose balance and slip off. It isn’t as bad as it might sound, as the drop to either side is generally only about 100mm to 300mm. Having said that, doing this still put me in hospital a couple of years ago, when the speed hit about 25mph. Stupid is etc!

I also spent a little more time practicing my endo/alpine turns, but in the case of tonight’s ride, it spoilt the flow of things.

A big plus tonight, was that I opted to ride somewhere that I very much shouldn’t and I’m glad that I did. See photo of white deer. Frustratingly I only had my rubbish camera that doesn’t focus that well and has a cracked lense. Never mind, I can always go back another day.

Two nights ago.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Eddie, how the hell did you manage to get that photo of deer. I know you have been practicing with photoshop;). Just saying, the last 10 years I've been riding kings wood, north downs and although i see deer including white ones, i never manage to get anywhere near close enough to get that kind of picture.
If it wasn't photoshop, you must have been in stealth mode.

Finally, i went for a ride two nights ago and came back in an odd mood i.e. didn't enjoy ride, bored with riding and same old route type of mood:confused:. Decided to give myself a few days off:)

Reactions: Sarabee and EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Finally, i went for a ride two nights ago and came back in an odd mood i.e. didn't enjoy ride, bored with riding and same old route type of mood:confused:. Decided to give myself a few days off:)
take 2 100g tramadol and 3l of white cider n give it another go ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Steve, you have to be in stealth mode when you ride where I did this evening. ;)

Deer are a real hazard around here, and often leap out in front of the bike during night rides.
There are three white der that I can think of in this area, although having said that, they do seem to cover a massive area, so who knows.

I was a bit miffed at not having my new camera though. I only had my old one, that now seems very hit and miss with focussing, and somehow the lens has now also got a crack across it. The crack only seems to hinder things at time, when light from the flash reflects onto it.

I just got lucky, as the rest of the shots turned out like this.

I did crop the other photo down though, from this.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
eddie have you replaced the seal kits in ur front and rear sus as not seen a post where you have done it.

my m8 just got a bill for 170 quid from mojo to rebuild his rear sus as just never bothered to replace the seals @20 quid.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Funny that you should mention that, as the subject has cropped up twice in the last week alone.

Both myself and that lad that I often ride with, were saying that we really should pull our suspension units down and give them a service.

Then last Saturday I was in my mates bike shop discussing the subject with him, about what I needed parts wise in order to bin the cable remote. I don't need or want the remote, so there is no point in me having it fitted. The only time that I have locked both units is when climbing on light trails in the Alps, and that is it. Beyond that, it just another item to clutter the handlebars with.

Frustratingly it might not be quite as simple as I had first thought though, as the internals on my fork might need replacing, which won't be worth the expense of doing. I might just rebuild them, and leave the cable off. edit.. Having said about removing the cable, I would still need to look at which way around that the tension release is.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers