Training the dog

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
My knee makes it painful to walk much more than 200 yards yet I can cycle on Mabel for miles.
I've decided today is the day to start training my slightly loopy Springer to run alongside the bike so I can get to the fields or beach more easily.
I'm starting in the garden with high value treats of liver and cheese. Her basic obedience is very good but she is a bit wary of the bike. She can also be a puller when first going out.
Wish me luck! (She doesn't fit in a basket :) )

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
My knee makes it painful to walk much more than 200 yards yet I can cycle on Mabel for miles.
I've decided today is the day to start training my slightly loopy Springer to run alongside the bike so I can get to the fields or beach more easily.
I'm starting in the garden with high value treats of liver and cheese. Her basic obedience is very good but she is a bit wary of the bike. She can also be a puller when first going out.
Wish me luck! (She doesn't fit in a basket :) )
In my defence, regarding the basket suggestion, I thought that she was a Jack Russell in your tiny avatar. :)

If she pulls hard, then let her pull your bike as you walk alongside it. Then you can take it steady with your knee, use the brakes to control her, and eventually she will associate the bike with 'walkies' fun time.

If you have access to a safe country area, or beach, you can 'free run' with her as you ride your bike. But only if she is obedient enough with good recall.

Otherwise you will need a bikejor arm for your bike (see the video), a harness and a bungee lead. Dogs will often pull as they have twice as many legs as us and their trot speed is faster than a jogger. It's much easier to use that, than to restrict it.

It takes a while to train a dog. Good luck. :)

Reactions: Sarabee

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
In my defence, regarding the basket suggestion, I thought that she was a Jack Russell in your tiny avatar. :)

If she pulls hard, then let her pull your bike as you walk alongside it. Then you can take it steady with your knee, use the brakes to control her, and eventually she will associate the bike with 'walkies' fun time.

If you have access to a safe country area, or beach, you can 'free run' with her as you ride your bike. But only if she is obedient enough with good recall.

Otherwise you will need a bikejor arm for your bike (see the video), a harness and a bungee lead. Dogs will often pull as they have twice as many legs as us and their trot speed is faster than a jogger. It's much easier to use that, than to restrict it.

It takes a while to train a dog. Good luck. :)

Awsome bail without hurting yourself "impressed"

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
This is what i would recommend for your dog it would save you getting off your bike all the time and save your time

all you would have to do make sure you take your dog lead with your wrap the thrower around the dog lead then around you back

it would also stop you picking up soaking wet soggy balls for your dog

at the bottom of the handle their is a little hole just get a cable tie and clip it to your dog lead or a carbene loop be just as good

Attachments

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Awesome bail without hurting yourself "impressed"
Check out my other crashes in this video. :oops:

Looking back, it's funny to think that I was a couch potato for years. I was a police dog handler, back in the day. Then I ran a patrol dog section for a large car company. I won't say which one, but all of the dogs were named 'Rover'. ;)

Well, you know what happened there.. :rolleyes:

When my last GSD left this world (the son of my police dog and much better natured), I decided to call it quits with dog handling. Then, my son split with his fiance and I bought Jet off him for £1. :D

I had to start from scratch again. Fortunately this dog was a blank canvas and swift to learn. However, due to his high energy levels, he needs more than most dogs in the way of exercise. So, long story, short.. He's literally cost me thousands in gear. Canicrossing turned to scootering, then to bikejoring, and finally on to ebiking. I can't complain as it's made me fit again. Otherwise, I'd still be on the couch! :p

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
I think using her enthusiasm is a great if slightly daunting idea! It takes a while for her to get the hang of things but when she does, she gets it completely.
She is tennis ball mad but she would be lethal near the bike if she thought I might throw the ball from there. She's a very springy Springer :)
Her recall is fabulous but I do worry about her running into the bike or jerking the other way if distracted. I'll just have to play it by ear and be patient.
She's been a bit wary this morning but better than I thought.

Thanks both.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I would love to take my dog with the bike but she is to lazy once around the football pitch and she' is done in and wont move for the rest of the day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
I used this for our cocker spaniels before getting a dog carrying e-trike.

http://www.walky.co.uk/walky-dog-range.html

I changed the lead section for an elastic lead which I found greatly reduced the dog's desire to tug.

Started by getting the dog used to it in a quiet park, on road in our close, round our estate before going into town centres.

Used it all over Europe when away in motorhome.

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Third short session went well so I thought I'd try Piper on a short jaunt along the road (quiet roads) , then the next, then the next and then the road to the fields. She was mostly brilliant and loved trotting along me instead of the slow walking stick pace she's had to endure for the last 6 months!

I let her off the lead on the fields then wondered how my girly bike felt about riding round the fields. The grass was short and the going was firm so it was a breeze. Piper went barmy, she loved it, racing round with me but staying out of harm's way.

Going to the beach is nearer but with a main road and crowds of people. We could cut through the pub car park and walk across the main road though.

Just realised I might NEED an ebike with fat tyres for those miles of golden sand! :D

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Thanks, she's not such a dope after all. Just got to make her understand that going round a parked car doesn't mean we are crossing the road, lol.

Better avatar now, she wasn't keen on being mistaken for a Jack Russell - not that there's anything wrong with them. As you can see, she is a a Princess :) Currently she is flaked out across the settee!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I like that avatar. Beautiful. :)

I passed by two guys one time, and heard one say "That's the way to walk a dog!" It all comes with practice, and of course, they sleep better.

You don't need to go fast. It just makes life much easier for you. Especially if you're physically impaired in some way. My regular 45 minute dog walk, takes only 6 minutes on the bike.

As for roads, I have to cross 4, en route to the park. But only one to get to the local walk area. Enjoy your bike and your new found lease of life. :)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Nice little story. Keep going it sounds fun.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Took my dog to the beach today with a tennis ball in my pocket and the ball chucker fastened on the rack. She was a bit excitable on the out when she realised where we were going but not too bad.
Once on the prom, she was fantastic and loved it. Didn't go fast because it was unusually warm. As soon as we got past the busy bit I let her off and she had a great time.
She is flaked out now, for a good while I think. Happy days.
I'm saving for a fat Bike! Definitely!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Working breeds of dog usually love a job to do. That sea air would knacker me out for sure. Did you go on the beach with your bike? You can get wider tyres for most bikes you know. :)

Advertisers