lots of hate out there

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:D

D

Deleted member 4366

The boot will be on the other foot soon. More and more people are using ebikes now, especially off-road. It'll be like riding around on your Fireblade, when you spot a guy on a NSU Quickly (how did they justify that name?). You just feel sorry for them.

Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Well these people that criticise e-bike rider like myself they are never haven a go at the yummy mummies that are driven their kids only a half a mile down the road to school but they have go at us on e-bikes because it has a motor pot calling the kettle black me thinks

i know man that lives in my town who lives 300 yards from Tescos and he actually drives to Tesco and he will drive back home i see him do it every morning

Thier is nothing wrong with him at all he's just bone lazy to walk down there so he drives down there

if someone has a go at me say i am cheating or anything of that nature i just say their some people i know won't even walk 300 yards or won't even walk 1 miles to take their kids to school because they are bone idle and then i say what so what is your argument

i never really get a response from that and it normally i get a change of subject

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
The boot will be on the other foot soon. More and more people are using ebikes now, especially off-road. It'll be like riding around on your Fireblade, when you spot a guy on a NSU Quickly (how did they justify that name?). You just feel sorry for them.

Saw one on the road a few days ago... Last time I saw one was about 1965...

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I remember back in the early 1980,s, ( yes I am that old) seeing my first mountain bike being ridden on the Ridgeway bridleway, and from then on numerous letters and articles were published as to their worthiness and validity. Ime afraid some cyclists can be stick in the mud types who think that everyone should think the way they do. Just like MTB,s are now a way of life worldwide hopefully e bikes will follow suit. Maybe some people just need to lighten up and concentrate on doing what they enjoy, and worry less about other people's preferences. After approx 40+ years of touring, racing and off road riding, I really enjoy e biking. I was at a cafe the other week when a racing cyclist accused me of cheating, my reply was that he is cheating as well, cus he had narrower tyres!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was at a cafe the other week when a racing cyclist accused me of cheating
Your bike had some costly assist power to help you get more from your cycling effort.

His bike no doubt had costly exotic lightweight tubing to help him get more from his cycling effort.

What's the difference? None, either both are cheating or neither are.

digbyblack

Just Joined
Apr 24, 2017
London
I think people like to take a dig at anything new (even though as a lot of you have pointed electric bikes have been around for years). The thing is e-bikes are getting more and more people into cycling and there is a new report saying that e-bike sales could increase 55% worldwide in the next decade.

Here in the UK, the government (even with all their other cuts) have said they are committing £64 million for councils and cites to develop biking initiatives. And e-bikes are really going to help to get more people into cycling - and that's good for everyone, not just cyclists.

So I say let them have their hate. Personally I think it's just snobbery.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Your bike had some costly assist power to help you get more from your cycling effort.

His bike no doubt had costly exotic lightweight tubing to help him get more from his cycling effort.

What's the difference? None, either both are cheating or neither are.
Hahaha, I do like that way of putting it!

Jimbobins

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2017
Lacashire
Sorry, Ive come to the thread late, but I thought I would share my experience from Sunday morning.
I rode up The Nick of Pendle and Waddington Fell on Sunday morning, really the first time I have tried to ride popular and more frequented climbs, and come across some typical roadies (in the terms of non e bike roadies). On Waddington fell, I left the village of Waddington, seeing the climb in front of me, with no riders on it. 2 corners up I noticed a group of riders, 300 to 500 meters ahead, the usual fit guys riding away at the front, and the not so fit guys at the back. I was riding up on Normal, preserving battery life, and the climb was still hard, to maintain 12 to 13 mph rather than the usual 4 or 5 mph I would normally do. Without much more effort as was soon behind them and as I passed, a fitter rider, trying to motivate the not so fit, stood onto his pedals, and I gave the usual "morning" welcome/ acknowledgment. To his surprise I just went passed and I heard him start to go with me, then the dawning realisation, as "fat lad" went howling past. I knew he just clocked the motor and Battery. At the top, 2 from the group, came over and had a look at the bike. I had stopped for a drink and to admire the view as I was turning round and they were crossing the top. They came for a chat. it was all pleasant and warm, with no animosity. They asked about assistance and range and how fast it goes. They seems to think it gave constant power, with no real idea they were restricted. I think on this occasion there was more interest than hate.
I am sure there will be more unwelcome responses in due course.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They came for a chat. it was all pleasant and warm, with no animosity. They asked about assistance and range and how fast it goes. They seems to think it gave constant power, with no real idea they were restricted. I think on this occasion there was more interest than hate.
I've also had plenty of good reactions from roadies who ride and train in the North Downs, mostly very friendly. It seems to be mostly the weekend "wannabees" who have their noses in the air and who've look contemptuously at my e-bikes

Any cheating remarks I've received have been from non-cyclists, the odd van or truck driver for example. On one occasion shouts of cheat came from a couple of circa 10 year old boys waiting at a bus stop to be carried barely half a mile to the shops. Presumably seven tons of almost empty bus to carry two 20 kilo kids isn't cheating.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Just had a read of the link in original post. I think this can be a problem more generally where hobbies are concerned. People get so obsessevily into the minutiae that it all gets way too serious and tribal and people's heads very quickly start to go up their bottoms. I was pleased to see that almost all of the posts in the thread disagreed with the OP who seemed to have a pretty big chip on his shoulder where ebikes are concerned.

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
Couldn't give a flying lol most are just kids who would never say a thing to your face,maybe mummble something in passing,but I guarantee if I pulled them then they would have a quick change of attitude...I've yet to purchase my ebike but I've had one or two discussions on other mtb forums so I've got a fair idea what people think

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I've always found the bikers I meet think it's good I am getting out on a bike and not sitting in front of the TV.

Perhaps a younger person may not have the same response, advantage to the aged or we have a nicer group of people in these parts.
I'll admit to receiving the occasional 'snort' from lycra man as i ride past.
They don't seem to like ebikes for some reason..