Carrera crosscity and coyote connect

Skawalman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2017
London
Hi guys,

Wanting to get a little commuter bike for a journey of 10miles round trip, no major hills, I'm 5'8 not of a heavy set so was thinking of these two bikes from halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=211566&productId=1325566&storeId=10001

Or

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=211566&productId=1283419&storeId=10001

Thing is with coyote connect I know it's possible to fit a throttle if I wanted to but not sure about the carrera crosscity. Anyone had any experience with carrera crosscity?

Skawalman

Apr 19, 2017
London
Look at the two sets of specs. You are getting a lot extra for your 150 extra. Aluminium frame, much more powerful motor 36 versus 24 V , greater range.....
Hmmm.. You're right, I think the coyote connect has been out for a while too. Wasn't sure if the 24 vs 36 V would make much of a difference and I didn't even pick up on the aluminium frame so thanks for that. What are the chances I might be able to fit a throttle to the carrera crosscity for research purposes

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hmmm.. You're right, I think the coyote connect has been out for a while too. Wasn't sure if the 24 vs 36 V would make much of a difference and I didn't even pick up on the aluminium frame so thanks for that. What are the chances I might be able to fit a throttle to the carrera crosscity for research purposes
I do not know.... There are other people on this forum who might.

Reactions: mountainsport

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
I've been using the Coyote Connect for a 7 mile each way commute, with no major terrain issues, for about 7 months now. It's been great, reliable with no problems other than a couple of punctures (which could happen to any bike) but bear in mind that it's cheap for a reason - the bike is basic as hell.

If you just want something that's going to get you from A to B and back to A I recommend it, but you'll need to buy your own lights for it, or a bike computer, for two examples.

Skawalman

Apr 19, 2017
London
I've been using the Coyote Connect for a 7 mile each way commute, with no major terrain issues, for about 7 months now. It's been great, reliable with no problems other than a couple of punctures (which could happen to any bike) but bear in mind that it's cheap for a reason - the bike is basic as hell.

If you just want something that's going to get you from A to B and back to A I recommend it, but you'll need to buy your own lights for it, or a bike computer, for two examples.
I went had a little look at the carrera crosscity and it's a nice bike, just a little bit lighter than the coyote connect and battery concealed but very basic still.. I don't know, I'm so torn between bikes, everything has there pros and cons but each one I've looked at will do the job I need it to.

What I'm looking at is the coyote connect + cheap, plenty of spare parts modular and some form of after care service, looks good. - basic, a bit heavy, 24v, 6 gears, cannot adjust handle bars.

Carrera crosscity + after care service, lighter, looks good, 36v, conceled battery 8 gears, adjustable handle bar, bit lighter. - untested, don't know if I can get spare parts, don't know if I would be able to fit a throttle in the future.

E-Dragon EVO + 36v, throttle, hidden battery, spare parts cheaper than crosscity, adjustable handle bar 7 gears . - online order, not sure about after care service, colour

E-life voyage + modular, 36v, generic Chinese so can get spare parts, cheaper then crosscity and EVO, adjustable handle bars. - a bit heavy, online order, no after care, colour scheme, visible battery.

Ahh I dunno, just getting myself all twisted up, thing is all of them would do the job.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
36v is better then 24v as you get 50% more power and torque in most cases, except in my Swizzbee s pedelecs case its 270w 24v hub drive will thrash the pants off most 36v bikes, when its working.

Reactions: Skawalman

Cobell

May 8, 2017
I bought the E Dragon you mentioned a short while back...bloody wonderful bike a good solid build..the indipendant Throttle control is great ..especially to get the bike going..for the cost of it it was well worth the price!...getting miles out of the battery as well between charges.

Attachments

Cobell

May 8, 2017
I went had a little look at the carrera crosscity and it's a nice bike, just a little bit lighter than the coyote connect and battery concealed but very basic still.. I don't know, I'm so torn between bikes, everything has there pros and cons but each one I've looked at will do the job I need it to.

What I'm looking at is the coyote connect + cheap, plenty of spare parts modular and some form of after care service, looks good. - basic, a bit heavy, 24v, 6 gears, cannot adjust handle bars.

Carrera crosscity + after care service, lighter, looks good, 36v, conceled battery 8 gears, adjustable handle bar, bit lighter. - untested, don't know if I can get spare parts, don't know if I would be able to fit a throttle in the future.

E-Dragon EVO + 36v, throttle, hidden battery, spare parts cheaper than crosscity, adjustable handle bar 7 gears . - online order, not sure about after care service, colour

E-life voyage + modular, 36v, generic Chinese so can get spare parts, cheaper then crosscity and EVO, adjustable handle bars. - a bit heavy, online order, no after care, colour scheme, visible battery.

Ahh I dunno, just getting myself all twisted up, thing is all of them would do the job.
The E Life you mentioned keeps coming up on IdealWorld TV channel. .it was on again at the weekend for just over £500.00..they have spares for it on their website...but I bought the E Dragon..bloody superb bike..long battery life and a good solid build..and it has an independent throttle control, great for getting the bike up hill !

Skawalman

Apr 19, 2017
London
The E Life you mentioned keeps coming up on IdealWorld TV channel. .it was on again at the weekend for just over £500.00..they have spares for it on their website...but I bought the E Dragon..bloody superb bike..long battery life and a good solid build..and it has an independent throttle control, great for getting the bike up hill !
Thanks for the reply, the Evo does look awesome. Basically, I've narrowed my choice down to two bikes now..
The Evo Dragon or http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Suspension-Aluminium-Folding-Electric-Bike-Built-in-Samsung-cell-battery

What you think?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats 4kg lighter ;) and not be worthless 2nd hand.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well save up or blow up a cash point then but dont buy one off ebay and get one from a dealer that way if and when it falls to bits ect you got some come back with warranty ;)

Skawalman

Apr 19, 2017
London
Was looking to get a bike in June as that's when I'm moving and the buses are terrible, as for blowing up a cash machine, I'll think about it :cool:

I get what your saying about a warranty though and it's a bit of gamble buying from ebay​

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do some research on 18650 cells and fake ones as most of the cost off a ebike is the batt and every cell i have got from china are fake and no where near the stated output.

id look for a 2nd hand bike with no batt say 300 quid then get jimmy at insat to make one from new cells that you can pick for it and cost about the same.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/coyote-electric-bike-/322515069247?hash=item4b1765693f:g:C1QAAOSwBt5ZFqFj

http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/insat-li-nmc-ebike-battery-10ah-24v-36v-48v.html

Panasonic NCR18650GA are the cells you want x40=14ah £325 for 40 cells ;)

• Informative

Skawalman

Apr 19, 2017
London
do some research on 18650 cells and fake ones as most of the cost off a ebike is the batt and every cell i have got from china are fake and no where near the stated output.

id look for a 2nd hand bike with no batt say 300 quid then get jimmy at insat to make one from new cells that you can pick for it and cost about the same.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/coyote-electric-bike-/322515069247?hash=item4b1765693f:g:C1QAAOSwBt5ZFqFj

http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/insat-li-nmc-ebike-battery-10ah-24v-36v-48v.html

Panasonic NCR18650GA are the cells you want x40=14ah £325 for 40 cells ;)
Wow..

Okay this has possibly opened up many more options, I'll start digging around, thanks for the info and the links, much appreciated

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
send jimmy a pm he might have a bike ready to go or sort one for you he is the best batt builder in the uk with a 30k spot welder ;)

Skawalman

Apr 19, 2017
London
send jimmy a pm he might have a bike ready to go or sort one for you he is the best batt builder in the uk with a 30k spot welder ;)
:) thanks man. I just put a bid on that coyote connect. Gonna do lots of research on battery's though and ask jimmy for some advice. If I win the bid on the coyote I'll see if I can get a better battery fitted or just use that and hopefully have time to save up the money for a really good bike

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Cobell

May 8, 2017
Thanks for the reply, the Evo does look awesome. Basically, I've narrowed my choice down to two bikes now..
The Evo Dragon or http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Suspension-Aluminium-Folding-Electric-Bike-Built-in-Samsung-cell-battery

What you think?
Well..to be honest. .I think they look pretty good ! ( not sure about it in White )..obviously I don't know what they are like to ride or the build quality and what the company that are selling them are like either, I can only go on what The E Dragon is like having bought one , but if I had known about these first I may have given one some consideration...check out the reviews on E bay though, see what other buyers have said.