eBike racing at FOD this weekend, anyone going?

I'm racing in the eBike class at the mini enduro at the Forest of Dean this weekend on one of the KTM Macina Lycan demo bikes we have here.

http://minienduro.tv/2017/04/forest-dean-30th-april-2016/

Really looking forward to giving it a proper test in race conditions.

Anyone else going?

I'll do a little write up of how my first experience of eBike racing goes next week, when I'm back.

Cheers
Col.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I wasn't aware of this but my e-bikes wouldn't be suitable for it.

I live just a few miles away so might pop along just to watch....

Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Good luck Col, and I hope for your sake or rather sanity, that Alvar C isn't going. :D

I heard that he bumped into you in the Surrey Hills recently.

edit.. Which model of Lycan is it that you are taking?

You might find that Highside43 is also there. I believe that he completed the previous round.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
Well after much chaos I've sorted a bike to race one. The one I'd ordered in from Austria got held up in courier world, so I've had to pull stock from one of our awesome dealers. So many thanks to J E James in Rotherham for giving this one up for the weekend.

I had a quick spin on it last night and I can't wait to put some serious offroad miles in this weekend.

The bike I'll be using is the KTM Macina Kapoho LT. So 27.5+ wheels, and 160mm of travel. Should be perfect I think / hope.

Reactions: tisme

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Well race day is here in the Forest of Dean, if anyone is about and you see me about on the lapierre pop over and say Hi.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
http://minienduro.tv/2017/05/results-rd2-forest-dean-april-2017/

even the hard tails beat the ebikes pmsl ;) and there as fast as a old granny lol:rolleyes:
I'll reply in depth with my full report later.

But yes, of course the hardails and normal bikes will beat the eBikes in most cases downhill. I'd be faster down these stages on my normal bike a lot!! eBikes aren't about going fast downhill, and if you need me to explain the reason why that is, and why they aren't, I can do.

But you just need to look at Charlie, who won the eBike race, he also raced in Vets, he was a lot quicker on his normal bike, than on the eBike even though it was his second race of the day.

If you look at the top guys in eBikes, myself included, we've all had years of top level DH / Enduro racing experience. The benefit of the eBike is that I got to enjoy riding the sections more. I was doing all 4 stages in the time is was taking people to do 1 on a normal bike.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • :D
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
But yes, of course the hardails and normal bikes will beat the eBikes in most cases downhill. I'd be faster down these stages on my normal bike a lot!! eBikes aren't about going fast downhill, and if you need me to explain the reason why that is, and why they aren't, I can do.
there to fkn heavy get ktm to make one thats 15kg as i could throw that about like my old santa cruz ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Looks like they were using part of the Freeminers trail in that section? I've never seen it so dry!

if you skip to 14.50 thats the end of section 2 with the wood fence it dont look steep but it is ;)