Battery charging

bradgirl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2008
Hello

Just bought myself a Carrera Crossfire and it has a 36V 11.5ah battery fitted.

I want the battery to last as long as possible (as we all do) so any tips from experts on how to do this?

My commute is going to be 7.5 miles each way and I can charge at work if I need to.

I guess I'm interested in if I should keep the battery always topped up or just recharge every day and whether if I'm not using the bike every day, should I only charge when I'm going to use it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I'd say just use it and charge it. I have a 3 year old 14.5Ah battery stil going strong now on it's 176th charge, each one between 10 and 25 miles. 15 mile round trip should be fine on 11.5Ah unless it's very hilly and you are very big.:eek: If the bike is in store outside, keep the battery in the house.
Main thing is, use it,enjoy it and welcome to the e bike grin:D

Reactions: bradgirl

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Charge to full once a day. although you might be able to get a second commute from the battery if you forget.

If the battery is going to be left unused for months, leave it part, but not fully, charged, and give it a top up every month or two.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I'd also go for full charge once a day, I'd also get a second charger left at work and charge it there since you can, then it's free transport.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
I'd agree with all of the above,I do a round trip of about 12 miles and charge the battery when I get home so it's always ready to go.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I've had a crossfire-e since last August, used daily for the commute to work (12 mile round trip, one big hill), on full assist (no sweat !), and recharge every night, using a timer plug set to 4 hours ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSMANN-AES-1-Energy-Saving-Timer/dp/B005C9S0I8/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1493323243&sr=1-6&keywords=timer+plug )

I do a weekend run, every couple of weeks, the exact same route, which is 45 miles on lowest assist and measure the % battery life remaining after each time (about 12% remaining). Could be I'm improving my fitness, but in 8 months use the battery has not reduced in range one bit, so my charging routine is working well for me. I have also done the long 10 sec battery button test, and it shows full 5 bars

Good luck

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I agree with comments on here, charge it once a day on the days you're using it.

I have a 7 mile round trip commute and on the days I use my bike I put my battery on to charge first thing when I get home in the evening. I always leave my cycling gear and battery in the middle of the hallway by the front door. That way even if I forget to put the battery on charge immediately when I get home I'll almost certainly see it in the hallway at some point later in the evening which reminds me to go and put it on charge.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hello

Just bought myself a Carrera Crossfire and it has a 36V 11.5ah battery fitted.

I want the battery to last as long as possible (as we all do) so any tips from experts on how to do this?

My commute is going to be 7.5 miles each way and I can charge at work if I need to.

I guess I'm interested in if I should keep the battery always topped up or just recharge every day and whether if I'm not using the bike every day, should I only charge when I'm going to use it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
According to this site it's best to keep the battery charged to around 80% to double the cycle life of the battery. Not sure if this is the case or a marketing blurb
http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

D

Deleted member 4366

According to this site it's best to keep the battery charged to around 80% to double the cycle life of the battery. Not sure if this is the case or a marketing blurb
http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html
If you charge to 80%, your battery will go out of balance and meet a premature death. Only certain batteries/BMSs can be charged to 80% - mainly not the type that we use.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Don't panic! Charge 'till the charger led goes green, then leave it for a bit (this is when cell balancing goes on) then turn it off. Simples;).
The 80% charge thing is if you're putting the battery into storage. Charge it to full, go out and put 5-10 miles on it to 'knock the edge of', then store it. Repeat every 6 weeks or so.
Me, I'd rather just go out and ride the thing, that's what it's for:D.