Scott e-sub Sport 10

kcrane

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
A quick 'first impressions' of my new Scott e-sub 10.

The bike lists at £2,799 at most dealers, with the Bosch Performance CX motor, 500 level battery and XT level brakes/gears.

I took delivery a few days ago, having taken advantage of Evans offer to bring a bike to a store and make it available for testing for a £50 returnable deposit. I ordered two identical bikes, one for me, one for my wife. She would have preferred the woman's version, but it is out of stock across the UK.

We have had analogue Scott tourers for the past few years which have done 1000's miles with zero issues. Cleaned up they look like the day they arrived, so we were happy to stay loyal to the brand. We tried a lot of bikes and were impressed with most of them, Kalkoffs with Impulse, Haibike with Yamaha, Scott with Bosch.

We preferred the look of the Bosch controls, the reputation for reliability and we like Scott as a brand, so we checked out their range in more detail. Checking around dealers was disappointing, not only could we not find the bike we were interested in to test, we couldn't find many dealers with any available, especially in the women's style. Evans were the only people who had stock of the e-sub 10, with a couple of medium frames available. I paid the £50 and they ordered in the bikes to prep for testing.

On test day we arrived at the store to find the bikes ready, sort of.

The first thing I noticed was that the rear mudguard on one bike was pressed hard up against the tyre. I pointed it out and the salesman went off the get an allen key. At which point my wife noticed the headstock was horizontal, with the headlight pointing vertically down onto the fork tops. Bringing this to their attention generated confusion. It was decided to wheel the bikes back to the workshop area. Bike 1 was OK, but on turning the bars on bike 2, the bars rotated but the front wheel didn't. This was a bike supposedly ready for testing on a main road. It would have been dangerous.

At first we were told the headstock didn't adjust, then that it did, but only a little. Then the headstock was almost dismantled while they tried to work it out. Clearly they had little experience with Scott trekking bikes. Eventually, with our help, we ended up with the bars about right. Then I found the seat on bike 1 was loose and the Bosch display was showing kilometres not miles.

I gave the bikes a good check before the actual test ride, which they passed with flying colours.

Bought with a reasonable discount, we returned home and gave them a good going over. All four mudguards needed adjusting (the embedded wiring under the rear mudguard was rubbing on the wheel on both bikes). I changed the grips and added mirrors, plus phone holders.

The bikes came with chunky manuals, which are a complete waste of time. Dreadful. They are in multiple languages, so you discover the English section is small. It consists mostly of warnings and caveats to avoid liability by Scott and barely anything about the bikes controls and adjustments. Everything is generic. There are a couple of CD's, but we don't have anyway to access them, being a post-CD household. There was zero about the Bosch system, no manuals, no get started guides, nothing. I had to go onto websites to find out what the charging process is, how to change to Imperial units and so on.

The e-sub has a Racktime rack, which doesn't have the following in the UK of Topeak, which is what we have used previously. Fortunately the Topeak bags have velcro straps and that let us put them on the Racktime for the moment. If anyone has a suggestion for a large rear bag with built in panniers and a Racktime fitting, let me know, especially from a UK supplier (most seem to be in Germany).

The e-sub is a big bike, much larger than our previous Scott treckers. The riding style is half way between sit up and beg and weight on arms mountain bike. The standard seat is surprisngly comfortable, I haven't yet switched to our broken-in Brooks, we decided to leave it on and give the standard seat a fair test.

Our first ride was from Cheltenham up into the Cotswolds, to Winchcombe. This takes us up Cleeve Hill, a long a steep incline. This is a ride we would not have taken on previously.

I was surprised at how well the bike rode with the motor turned off, not much more work than the previous bike. The gearing leans towards the low end, so spinning the pedals while making stately progress makes human powered progress straightforward. I later found however that once up to speed, or on a downhill section, the top gears are too low, and I couldn't pedal fast enough once over 20mph or so, the cadence was too high for comfort.

Over the course of the ride (25 miles) we both found we switched off on any downhill (the weight of the bike working in your favour), we used Eco on the flat, Tour on mild inclines and Sport uphill. Neither of us 'needed' to use Turbo mode to get up even up steep hills, however I did use it a few times to keep up a higher speed uphill when cars were waiting behind us.

On regular bikes we average 8-9mph, with 5-6mph on hills, 10-12mph on the flat. Our age and the weight of trekking bikes works against being able to sustain anything over 12mph.

Within 30mins of e-biking we found anything below 14mph felt slow, 16mph was 'normal' and 10mph uphill was quite possible without needing Turbo mode.

When we tested e-bikes we didn't change gear much, but once out in the hilly countyside we found that we used the gears as much as on our regular bikes, plus we changed the assistance level every few minutes, depending on the terrain.

Overall I would say we had the assistance turned off 25% of the time, Eco mode 50% of the time, Tour mode 20% and Sport 5%. I'm ignoring the occassional burst of Turbo!

With much bigger tyres, at lower pressures, the bike is noticably more comfortable than previously. The riding position is also more relaxed.

I thought I had fully charged the batteries, but later found all the lights go out when fully charged, and I took them off charge while the fifth light was flashing, so they were perhaps 90% charged. Over 25 miles in hilly conditions my wife lost the first of 5 lights, I lost two lights (but then hers must have been more charged, the other conclusion, that she pedalled more than me, isn't something I want to consider). So we returned home with something around 60-70% battery remaining. If I had fully charged it would have been better. That suggests that we can do a comfortable 75 miles on one charge. I'll try to update this thread as I find out more. PS - we weigh around 75kg and are old'ish, but reasonably fit.

Overall we are really pleased with the bikes. They are comfortable, look good and seem well built. Our average speed has moved up from about 8mph to 12mph, a significant change, plus we got off after 25 miles quite fresh and ready to do more. 20 miles on our regular bikes is about it before we need a good rest.

Scott's manuals are poor, as was Evans prep of the bikes. The two of them had one more disappointment. Scott provided European plugs on the chargers, despite the legal requirement to provided bonded UK plugs. I reported this to Evans who said "Ah, we are just distributors, you'll need to take it up with Scott". This with £5,000 worth of bikes bought only two days earlier. I hope to goodness the Bosch system is reliable as I would have no confidence in Evans ability to sort things out and I certainly wouldn't trust them to repair or upgrade the bike.

Photos to follow :)

Attachments

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
2B586124-5830-430D-A4A2-BF033CD76830.JPG
Bosch display

81BE3867-E9EC-4452-860D-D20904AEFF60.JPG
Standard saddle

BD6F8231-11E5-4982-A99A-136F7495F313.JPG
Scott branded Bosch battery/motor

398356C1-B4F7-4034-9EAE-D06A59400FA0.JPG
Replaced grips/mirror

40488A93-93F8-4F77-B19E-00FEBDE045FE.JPG
Standard headlight

7C0D4A1D-BE6C-4386-A0D1-70DA745DB60B.JPG
Headstock, quite complicated but nicely made

F8EB14FD-CD61-48F4-BE0E-BE622C88C3C0.JPG
Topeak bag on Racktime rack, not perfect but stop gap

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i do own a sub myself i do like the bike and it does work very well and reliable bike and i do enjoy riding it

my bike is my car so it gets me about everywhere i don't like cars at all
i don't mind going on the train at a push

The best advice i could give you check the chain regularly so when it has worn it is advised to change the chain and the change the front sprocket
this should do about the 1000 miles mark i would say

Every 2000 miles change the cassette to keep your gear shifting in perfect order so you don't any slipping of gears

And then your bike would be in fine working order with no problems at all
it is advised that you have your work done at a Bosch dealer because if you do have work done not at a Bosch dealer your warranty is void

A Bosch mechanic would only know how to work on your bike with no problems

i hope that helps to keep your bike in fine working order and you enjoy it

D

Deleted member 4366

Your own weight is the biggest factor that affects battery consumption, so if she's a lot lighter than you, that's the reason she used less charge.

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
Scott provided European plugs on the chargers, despite the legal requirement to provided bonded UK plugs. I reported this to Evans who said "Ah, we are just distributors, you'll need to take it up with Scott".
Evans simply cannot absolve themselves like that.

Regulation 5 of The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 states:
Prohibitions on supply etc. of electrical devices
5. No person shall supply, offer for supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply an electrical device...[which doesn't meet the regulations]

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
Your own weight is the biggest factor that affects battery consumption, so if she's a lot lighter than you, that's the reason she used less charge.
She says she is happy either way, stronger than me or lighter than me :)

• :D
Reactions: Gaz

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
Evans simply cannot absolve themselves like that.

Regulation 5 of The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 states:
Agreed, but... I can't be arsed. It is a standard figure of eight plug, so I will have a few around, plus I could cut off the euro plug and put on a regular one.

I went back to see how well they responded, and it was a fail. I would like to think I have the energy to make them and Scott sort it, but I have other things higher up the list :-(

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
i do own a sub myself i do like the bike and it does work very well and reliable bike and i do enjoy riding it

my bike is my car so it gets me about everywhere i don't like cars at all
i don't mind going on the train at a push

The best advice i could give you check the chain regularly so when it has worn it is advised to change the chain and the change the front sprocket
this should do about the 1000 miles mark i would say

Every 2000 miles change the cassette to keep your gear shifting in perfect order so you don't any slipping of gears

And then your bike would be in fine working order with no problems at all
it is advised that you have your work done at a Bosch dealer because if you do have work done not at a Bosch dealer your warranty is void

A Bosch mechanic would only know how to work on your bike with no problems

i hope that helps to keep your bike in fine working order and you enjoy it
Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

just thought i would let you know what will happen in time is the chain will
struggle to go through the front crank and then in some cases you might snap the chain and be left unable to pedal home.

What would happen to is when you put a new chain on the bike you will be unable to pedal at all because the crank would be worn and the chain won't glide through effortlessly which is where the problem does occurs

This has happened to me a couple of times the only cure is a new front front chain ring you would require to get a new lock ring and chain ring
and o ring to do the job correct.

Another thing i forget to mention to you in my last post is that when you get the chain changed ask the bosch dealer to flip the front crank over to make sure you wear the other side so you would have equal wear on both sides.

The thing is with bosch bikes they do like to be well maintained at all times because you are always using the gears all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
just thought i would let you know what will happen in time is the chain will
struggle to go through the front crank and then in some cases you might snap the chain and be left unable to pedal home.

What would happen to is when you put a new chain on the bike you will be unable to pedal at all because the crank would be worn and the chain won't glide through effortlessly which is where the problem does occurs

This has happened to me a couple of times the only cure is a new front front chain ring you would require to get a new lock ring and chain ring
and o ring to do the job correct.

Another thing i forget to mention to you in my last post is that when you get the chain changed ask the bosch dealer to flip the front crank over to make sure you wear the other side so you would have equal wear on both sides.

The thing is with bosch bikes they do like to be well maintained at all times because you are always using the gears all the time.
Yes, I was surprised on our first real ride out just how much we changed gear and how much we changed the power level, we were constantly tweaking both. By contrast, on test rides, we found we didn't change gear and just made the motor make up the difference.

Open road versus city centre riding maybe.

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
Update: Evans have come good via their customer support and are sending cables via courier.

Scott customer support were quickest though, they responded same day and said they too would ship the correct cables. Well done Scott.

Bosch support (from Germany) said I had to go through the dealer.

All's well that ends well I suppose. If I get two sets I'll hand the spare to Evans store in case they have similar issues in the future.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your tolerance of the incompetence of Evans is laudable.

They have only supplied the correct lead out of fear of regulatory breach, not for customer service.

Usual fob-off - speak to the importer - who in turn refers you to the shop.

Neither can they set up a simple trekking bike, which any competent mechanic ought to be able to do blindfolded.

Happily for you, the quality of the bike trumps the useless nature of the retailer.

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
Your tolerance of the incompetence of Evans is laudable.

They have only supplied the correct lead out of fear of regulatory breach, not for customer service.

Usual fob-off - speak to the importer - who in turn refers you to the shop.

Neither can they set up a simple trekking bike, which any competent mechanic ought to be able to do blindfolded.

Happily for you, the quality of the bike trumps the useless nature of the retailer.
True I did mention that it was against regs not to supply with a UK plug...

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
Quick update after first 100 miles...

We had an overnight trip into the Cotswolds, 20+ miles of climbs and descents we would not have attempted on analogue bikes. Highest we got was 900ft, fastest freewheel descent was 38mph, at which speed the bike was stable. Stayed over in Stow-on-the-Wold, the first time we have done any 'touring'.

We tried to minimise the assistance, using it for uphill sections, but otherwise leaving it off or in Eco mode. Some of the hills needed Turbo and a drop to a low gear, and the gauge showed the motor was working hard to keep the speed up to 8mph or so. Overall average speed was 12 mph and 25 miles used two bars of the battery, with the last drop from one to two towards the end of the trip, so I am assuming something like 30% of the battery used.

The second trip was on a well travelled route, Cheltenham to Gloucester, 10 miles each way, pretty flat. I did this in Sport and Turbe mode to see how it used the battery. Most of the trip was at 15mph+ and very little effort from me. The 20 mile round trip used a clear 2 bars, so around 40% of the battery with the bike doing a lot of the work.

So I appear to be getting 10 miles for 20% of the battery, either on easy terrain in Turbo or in hilly terrain in Tour. So 50 miles looks like a comfortable minimum and 75 miles achievable without trying to eak out the battery.

On some potholed bridle paths it was obvious that the new bike is much more comfortable than the old one, despite not having a suspended Brooks saddle. I put this down to the large tyres and maybe more modern front suspension.

Top gear is too low, I could do with extra cog.

I am now used to 16mph as a 'right' and would much prefer a 30mph top speed :) but the brakes and my reactions may not be up to that.

There is little noise so long as the motor is not working hard and the cadence is low. Up steep hills, in a low gear, spinning the pedals, with the motor in Turbo and working hard there is quite noticable whirring, like a milk float.

Overall very pleased with the bike. Having done an overnight stay and covered 25 miles a day easily, we have bought panniers and are planning a 2 or 3 night trip, covering 50 miles per day.

The battery range seems to be more than enough, as my bottom gives out before the battery does ;-)

LesTocknell

Apr 24, 2017
Ross on Wye
A quick 'first impressions' of my new Scott e-sub 10.

The bike lists at £2,799 at most dealers, with the Bosch Performance CX motor, 500 level battery and XT level brakes/gears.

I took delivery a few days ago, having taken advantage of Evans offer to bring a bike to a store and make it available for testing for a £50 returnable deposit. I ordered two identical bikes, one for me, one for my wife. She would have preferred the woman's version, but it is out of stock across the UK.

We have had analogue Scott tourers for the past few years which have done 1000's miles with zero issues. Cleaned up they look like the day they arrived, so we were happy to stay loyal to the brand. We tried a lot of bikes and were impressed with most of them, Kalkoffs with Impulse, Haibike with Yamaha, Scott with Bosch.

We preferred the look of the Bosch controls, the reputation for reliability and we like Scott as a brand, so we checked out their range in more detail. Checking around dealers was disappointing, not only could we not find the bike we were interested in to test, we couldn't find many dealers with any available, especially in the women's style. Evans were the only people who had stock of the e-sub 10, with a couple of medium frames available. I paid the £50 and they ordered in the bikes to prep for testing.

On test day we arrived at the store to find the bikes ready, sort of.

The first thing I noticed was that the rear mudguard on one bike was pressed hard up against the tyre. I pointed it out and the salesman went off the get an allen key. At which point my wife noticed the headstock was horizontal, with the headlight pointing vertically down onto the fork tops. Bringing this to their attention generated confusion. It was decided to wheel the bikes back to the workshop area. Bike 1 was OK, but on turning the bars on bike 2, the bars rotated but the front wheel didn't. This was a bike supposedly ready for testing on a main road. It would have been dangerous.

At first we were told the headstock didn't adjust, then that it did, but only a little. Then the headstock was almost dismantled while they tried to work it out. Clearly they had little experience with Scott trekking bikes. Eventually, with our help, we ended up with the bars about right. Then I found the seat on bike 1 was loose and the Bosch display was showing kilometres not miles.

I gave the bikes a good check before the actual test ride, which they passed with flying colours.

Bought with a reasonable discount, we returned home and gave them a good going over. All four mudguards needed adjusting (the embedded wiring under the rear mudguard was rubbing on the wheel on both bikes). I changed the grips and added mirrors, plus phone holders.

The bikes came with chunky manuals, which are a complete waste of time. Dreadful. They are in multiple languages, so you discover the English section is small. It consists mostly of warnings and caveats to avoid liability by Scott and barely anything about the bikes controls and adjustments. Everything is generic. There are a couple of CD's, but we don't have anyway to access them, being a post-CD household. There was zero about the Bosch system, no manuals, no get started guides, nothing. I had to go onto websites to find out what the charging process is, how to change to Imperial units and so on.

The e-sub has a Racktime rack, which doesn't have the following in the UK of Topeak, which is what we have used previously. Fortunately the Topeak bags have velcro straps and that let us put them on the Racktime for the moment. If anyone has a suggestion for a large rear bag with built in panniers and a Racktime fitting, let me know, especially from a UK supplier (most seem to be in Germany).

The e-sub is a big bike, much larger than our previous Scott treckers. The riding style is half way between sit up and beg and weight on arms mountain bike. The standard seat is surprisngly comfortable, I haven't yet switched to our broken-in Brooks, we decided to leave it on and give the standard seat a fair test.

Our first ride was from Cheltenham up into the Cotswolds, to Winchcombe. This takes us up Cleeve Hill, a long a steep incline. This is a ride we would not have taken on previously.

I was surprised at how well the bike rode with the motor turned off, not much more work than the previous bike. The gearing leans towards the low end, so spinning the pedals while making stately progress makes human powered progress straightforward. I later found however that once up to speed, or on a downhill section, the top gears are too low, and I couldn't pedal fast enough once over 20mph or so, the cadence was too high for comfort.

Over the course of the ride (25 miles) we both found we switched off on any downhill (the weight of the bike working in your favour), we used Eco on the flat, Tour on mild inclines and Sport uphill. Neither of us 'needed' to use Turbo mode to get up even up steep hills, however I did use it a few times to keep up a higher speed uphill when cars were waiting behind us.

On regular bikes we average 8-9mph, with 5-6mph on hills, 10-12mph on the flat. Our age and the weight of trekking bikes works against being able to sustain anything over 12mph.

Within 30mins of e-biking we found anything below 14mph felt slow, 16mph was 'normal' and 10mph uphill was quite possible without needing Turbo mode.

When we tested e-bikes we didn't change gear much, but once out in the hilly countyside we found that we used the gears as much as on our regular bikes, plus we changed the assistance level every few minutes, depending on the terrain.

Overall I would say we had the assistance turned off 25% of the time, Eco mode 50% of the time, Tour mode 20% and Sport 5%. I'm ignoring the occassional burst of Turbo!

With much bigger tyres, at lower pressures, the bike is noticably more comfortable than previously. The riding position is also more relaxed.

I thought I had fully charged the batteries, but later found all the lights go out when fully charged, and I took them off charge while the fifth light was flashing, so they were perhaps 90% charged. Over 25 miles in hilly conditions my wife lost the first of 5 lights, I lost two lights (but then hers must have been more charged, the other conclusion, that she pedalled more than me, isn't something I want to consider). So we returned home with something around 60-70% battery remaining. If I had fully charged it would have been better. That suggests that we can do a comfortable 75 miles on one charge. I'll try to update this thread as I find out more. PS - we weigh around 75kg and are old'ish, but reasonably fit.

Overall we are really pleased with the bikes. They are comfortable, look good and seem well built. Our average speed has moved up from about 8mph to 12mph, a significant change, plus we got off after 25 miles quite fresh and ready to do more. 20 miles on our regular bikes is about it before we need a good rest.

Scott's manuals are poor, as was Evans prep of the bikes. The two of them had one more disappointment. Scott provided European plugs on the chargers, despite the legal requirement to provided bonded UK plugs. I reported this to Evans who said "Ah, we are just distributors, you'll need to take it up with Scott". This with £5,000 worth of bikes bought only two days earlier. I hope to goodness the Bosch system is reliable as I would have no confidence in Evans ability to sort things out and I certainly wouldn't trust them to repair or upgrade the bike.

Photos to follow :)

LesTocknell

Apr 24, 2017
Ross on Wye
I bought a Scott E-sub Evo late last year. It has a Racktime rack. I have no problem fitting both an Ortlieb and an Altura set of panniers, so I wouldn't expect any problems with panniers. My only reservation is that the rack does not have a frame attachment, just the triangle to the rear hub. Not sure if it will support a camping load. Very pleased in general with the bike.

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
I bought a Scott E-sub Evo late last year. It has a Racktime rack. I have no problem fitting both an Ortlieb and an Altura set of panniers, so I wouldn't expect any problems with panniers. My only reservation is that the rack does not have a frame attachment, just the triangle to the rear hub. Not sure if it will support a camping load. Very pleased in general with the bike.
I tried a few sets of panniers and found Ortlieb fitted well. The hooks adjust position over quite a wide range, so could be moved to avoid cross bars and the 12mm inserts suited the Racktime tube diameter. The Altura panniers used the R&K fixings, which didn't clip down securely. They looked to be designed for smaller diameter tubing, unless I missed something.

Yes, there is no rack attachment / support to the seat post, though it is attached to the metal mudguard as well as the wheel hub. I think I saw a 25kg weight limit, which is as much as BA allow on checked bags and I never get close to that on 2 week holidays

LesTocknell

Apr 24, 2017
Ross on Wye
I tried a few sets of panniers and found Ortlieb fitted well. The hooks adjust position over quite a wide range, so could be moved to avoid cross bars and the 12mm inserts suited the Racktime tube diameter. The Altura panniers used the R&K fixings, which didn't clip down securely. They looked to be designed for smaller diameter tubing, unless I missed something.

Yes, there is no rack attachment / support to the seat post, though it is attached to the metal mudguard as well as the wheel hub. I think I saw a 25kg weight limit, which is as much as BA allow on checked bags and I never get close to that on 2 week holidays
Alturas will fit. They need a little more shove from above then they click in to place and the retaining clips swivel over too.

kcrane

Apr 2, 2017
Cheltenham
A further update after a few 40 mile rides.

Overall still satisfied... some tweaks to handlebar angle, seat height etc have improved what was already a good level of comfort. I have stuck to the standard Scott saddle and my brother is now the proud owner of a second-hand Brookes :) Quite how anyone manages 60+ miles in a day I don't know, though I am doing more distance my bottom has had enough after 40 miles.

All of the trips out have been into the Cotswolds, with 12% gradients common and topping out at 15%. This according to a new-to-me app called Ride with GPS which I had not come across before. It is an excellent way to set up a route in advance on the PC and then have the phone give turn by turn directions and also track the ride (speed, time, height, distance etc). Recommended, tho' not free.

The battery has been consistent, 50 miles per charge in hilly terrain. I now mostly use Tour, with the occasional burst of Sport. Eco and Turbo aren't used as much. I think this is because I am a fitter now, and can climb using Sport rather than Turbo (except for 15% !). On the flat I have got used to going quicker, so use Tour to help, rather than accepting slower progress with Eco.

The 50 mile range is just enough. I get tired after 40 miles and the 'spare' 10 miles is just enough to alleviate range anxiety.

I plan to do a run out towards the River Severn so as to stay on flat ground and see what range I get. 75 maybe?

I bought Ortlieb panniers and am impressed with the quality and mounting method. I also bought Racktime adapters and swapped over two existing Topeak bags, removing the "slide in" base they came with and screwing on the Racktime bases. It worked fine.

Final thought - why don't Bosch add KERS-like technology to recover some charge on downhill sections? Just not enough energy to be worthwhile I guess.