Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

D

Deleted member 4366

They'll probably all start breaking now. Rebuild it with 14g spokes.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. I used to use 13g spokes on all my motor wheels. Since I changed to 14g, I've never had a problem with spokes - even with my crappy wheel-building skills. They're easier to get too.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

emiles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2017
London
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but thought this might be useful for anyone looking for the new manual. I recently purchased a Carrera Crossfire-E from Halfords but it's got a different display:

.....and remote:

I've uploaded the manual in case anyone needs it, I think the manual it came with is for the previous model.

Pressing/holding different sequences of buttons brings up what look like additional settings but they're a bit cryptic. If anyone knows how to increase the 'walk' speed it would be really useful as it doesn't have a throttle!

Great bike though, great fun!

Attachments

• Useful
Reactions: cmdr and LeighPing

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but thought this might be useful for anyone looking for the new manual. I recently purchased a Carrera Crossfire-E from Halfords but it's got a different display:

.....and remote:

I've uploaded the manual in case anyone needs it, I think the manual it came with is for the previous model.

Pressing/holding different sequences of buttons brings up what look like additional settings but they're a bit cryptic. If anyone knows how to increase the 'walk' speed it would be really useful as it doesn't have a throttle!

Great bike though, great fun!
Cheers for that. Good tip on page 9 to test the health of the battery by holding down the power button on the battery for 10 sec (I have the previous version of the bike, looks like the same battery). Happy to say that my 7 month old is showing the full 5 bars (>90%)

emiles

Mar 9, 2017
London
Cheers for that. Good tip on page 9 to test the health of the battery by holding down the power button on the battery for 10 sec (I have the previous version of the bike, looks like the same battery). Happy to say that my 7 month old is showing the full 5 bars (>90%)
Yes didn't see that! I've only just found out it's got a usb socket hidden away!
If you've tried the walk button (6 button?) what speed do you get? I'm trying to find a way to modify it to be a kind of throttle....

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yes didn't see that! I've only just found out it's got a usb socket hidden away!
If you've tried the walk button (6 button?) what speed do you get? I'm trying to find a way to modify it to be a kind of throttle....
6km, hence the '6'..have tried it, and it is about that...good luck with the mod attempt, but I would love to find a way to increase the cut out speed to about 20mph

emiles

Mar 9, 2017
London
6km, hence the '6'..have tried it, and it is about that...good luck with the mod attempt, but I would love to find a way to increase the cut out speed to about 20mph
Me too, 20 would be great! I've been playing around with different button sequences and among other cryptic numbers and letters it came up with 28 which I'm taking is wheel size but I couldn't find a way to change it. I'm guessing it's just software that determines speed limit, I'm on a mission to find a way lol!

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
I get the same on my Crossfire-e, just in 8th gear. I need to look closely at the derailleur to check alignment.

On a different note, I've been trouble free since getting the bike last August until 2 weeks ago, snapped a spoke on the rear wheel just inside the spoke nipple. Replaced it, and then on Saturday, snapped 2 more withing an hour whilst out on a ride (both snapped just inside the nipple as before)...any ideas why ? I've been just running the lowest assistance (25%) at the time of it breaking. For info these are 13g spokes with 4mm nipples (tillercycles.co.uk)

cheers
The spokes are breaking due to the weight on the back wheel, and without any suspension it's only a matter of time with all the bumps and lumps in the road.

I had an alien aurora, which I eventually striped and move onto a duel suspension bike, as the spokes were always breaking, this was mainly to a rub hub and the pannier battery rack. No problems since.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the biggest tyres possible to go on a carrera crossfire as i'd like to do a bit more off roading , preferably one that don't puncture at the first drop of a hat as i too had a puncture yesterday hence this question

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
Me too, 20 would be great! I've been playing around with different button sequences and among other cryptic numbers and letters it came up with 28 which I'm taking is wheel size but I couldn't find a way to change it. I'm guessing it's just software that determines speed limit, I'm on a mission to find a way lol!
oh please please find a way to increase the spreed even 5mph faster would be amazing 15 just doesn't cut it

• Agree

Lud

Just Joined
May 20, 2017
South Wales
Thanks to all for excellent info on this forum. After much research we've just bought a Crossfire, and very pleased we are after 100 miles. A few random observations, hope they're of interest:
1. We bought the "large ladies" 18" frame which fits my wife at 5ft 4" and easily accommodates me at 6ft 0" thanks to the generously long seatpost. (The bike is basically for her to keep up with me on joint rides - I ride a traditional non-electric fast tourer, but it's useful for me to use it occasionally)
2. My only minor gripes are the clunky front suspension and hydraulic disc brakes - for the same money a quality chromoly fork and Vee brakes would make for nicer handling and simpler maintenance.
3. Pannier rack: there's been discussion about the issue of distance between rear dropouts owing to the motorised hub causing problems with fitting standard racks. I've just fitted a rack by bolting its legs to the inside of the dropouts, thus reducing the need to spread the legs so much.
4. I've already ordered a Schwalbe Greenguard rear tyre. The prospect of trying to fix a rear puncture in a storm doesn't bear thinking about!
5. Very pleased with lack of resistance when in unassisted mode, this means it's not a complete disaster if you get stranded with a flat battery, it's just like pedalling an ordinary bike with a load of groceries on board.
6. Regarding complaints about assistance cutting out by 16mph, yes it's frustrating but this is the deal for avoiding the red tape of insurance, number plates etc, and qualifying legally as a "bicycle" for use on cycle paths. If you want to go fast get an uprated bike but stay on the roads (or a 1000cc Kawasaki if you really want speed!).

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
oh please please find a way to increase the spreed even 5mph faster would be amazing 15 just doesn't cut it
... Do you realise that your battery will deplete 2.5 times faster at 20mph than at 15 mph., And so will your range ... Assuming air resistance is the dominant power loss ?

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
did anyone effectively come up with a solution to the power outage when you hit a bump on the carrera? which requires pressing the battery power button then the display power, and to add when it does cut out and you do push the power button again it does seem to cut out very easily again unless you physically remove and resit the battery again!.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
did anyone effectively come up with a solution to the power outage when you hit a bump on the carrera? which requires pressing the battery power button then the display power, and to add when it does cut out and you do push the power button again it does seem to cut out very easily again unless you physically remove and resit the battery again!.
No.

And in my experience, it wasn't when you hit a bump, it was a certain way of riding the bike - I could pretty much predict where when it was likely to cut out depending on my speed and the terrain.

• Informative

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
is it the battery? or motor causing the outage? its weird that resitting the battery cures it till the next time. in my mind my experience of the outage points to the contacts on the battery

jonjoe

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
England
I had the outage today on a ride. It happened after a steep climb. One of the points above mentioned pannier rack, I have the cheep one from Halfords that's designed for disk breaks.

IMG_2438.JPG